Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Invaded some helpless dood last night who tried to escape over the swingy bridge in the dragon aerie in SOTFS. He didn't know that you can roll all the way through it with no speed penalty. Very nice feelings

You can also destroy the dragon eggs as an invader if you really feel like being a dick :) this way can even ensure vengance from the grave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

if you guys are looking for an underappreciated weapon for your next DS2 run, check out the craftsmans hammer. it's the hammer in the game and rules for both pve and pvp, especially if you powerstance them. the moveset is very nice and handles more like a longsword

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRO3WKQEt6k

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

How much control did Miyazaki have over Demon Souls?

He stepped in to take over when development wasn't going well:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/31/bloodborne-dark-souls-creator-hidetaka-miyazaki-interview

Miyazaki started there as a coder in 2004. After working on the Armored Core robot-combat series, he heard about a game in development elsewhere in the studio. “Demon’s Souls wasn’t doing well,” he says. “The project had problems and the team had been unable to create a compelling prototype. But when I heard it was a fantasy-action role-playing game, I was excited. I figured if I could find a way to take control of the game, I could turn it into anything I wanted. Best of all, if my ideas failed, nobody would care – it was already a failure.”

Miyazaki was assigned to the game and “changed pretty much everything about it”.

Awesome article / interview

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

i just did a new game with fist weapons only just for the hell of it and i still had a blast. its no bloodborne but fixed up dks2 is really good

Hell yea dude. Have you tried out the Bone Fist from the Ivory DLC?

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

I keep thinking about which weapons I wanna use in run 2...settled on hunter's axe and the stake driver to start with, I hope they're good.

Hunters axe is still my favorite weapon out of the original games set. The halberd always felt too slow to me in the souls games, but its juuuuust right here. Try not to abuse the spin to win r2 too much, as satisfying \ effective it tends to be

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

http://io9.com/the-weirdest-and-fiercest-helmets-from-the-age-of-armor-510686611

Look, kool helmets. The frog helmet is definitely the Ruin sentinel from DS2.

I hope we get some helmets with painted designs in DS3.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Just reached OOK. The setting is unbelievably lush. They did such a great job with this dlc, thank you FROM

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I've started my Simon Belmont run. Any suggestions for armor? Currently rocking charred set, and its sweet but im looking for something more appropriate.

Threaded cane was really weak at first but around BSB it started really kicking rear end. Feeling bad about vicar Amelia though... I had two bad rear end summons and we stunlocked her in a corner, it was pitiful. She didn't get a single action, it was over in less then 30 seconds. Wish there was some way to give her a fair rematch.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Funny you say that, that's exactly what I was doing until i found the charred set.

It's hard to make a beefy bro. Even with the sliders all the way up, you're nowhere near the Schwartzeneggar physique possible in dark Souls

Oh yeah, did I mess up Eileen's storyline? I killed Amelia before the Eileen / Henryk fight, saw something on the wiki that said so but I can't check until tomorrow night

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Both would be cool.

I imagine the ladder mimic killing you by opening a big toothy mouth on the floor and the ladder itself disintegrating or something.

The bonfire mimic would pull your arm forward as you go to light it and impale you on the sword

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

i like duke's a lot, actually. the research hall is like the improved version of it, but it's still a cool level. esp the seath fake-out.

What's the fakeout?

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

when you "fight" seathe at the library probably

Ah, I thought he meant the BB area not dukes

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

In Training posted:

It was DS2 on PC and then they kept it the same in the PS4 versions and said it was never a bug and durability was always intended to be faster like that. To encourage weapon swapping, or as another balance option.

That's been fixed, fortunately.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Another game that unfortunately ties its physics to FPS is Vice City. The handling of the cars becomes insanely smooth and feels great, but the speedboats all go half speed. Any missions involving them and racing are impossible to win without turning the frame limiter on :(

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Pookum posted:

Weird what causes this exactly? Like the game only let's you travel a certain distance per frame?

Sort of. What's happening essentially is that the game does a calculation every frame that includes the vehicle's acceleration and the terrain you're currently driving on, which is why you drive faster on the pavement then you do on the dirt or grass or whatnot.

The byproduct of this for cars is being to accelerate and turn twice as fast on the street because those calculations are happening 60 times a second versus the 30 that the game was coded around. The game is seeing a terrain resistance on the street of 0 essentially, so that combined with the acceleration formula means you're going like 0-120 in like 5 seconds which is hilarious.

The opposite is happening in boats on the water, because there is a terrain resistance stat in the equation, so now you're getting slowed down 60 times a second versus 30.

The explanation for smaller jumps at 60fps in Dark Souls is probably similar. It also explains the unpatched weapon degradation in DS2.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I started another playthrough of Demons. Gonna roll the fluted set and bastard sword for klassic vibes. Demon's was the first one I played back in 2009 shortly after release. I made a barbarian and got crushed over and over again. I got so pissed at the Tower Knight that I pulled the disc out and almost snapped it in half before I fixed my vibe and tried again. It's crazy how hard it seemed then, but I guess mastering the mechanics over 4 games will change that.

It's wild how good it still looks. World 2 is a little generic but everything else is killer. Going to conquer the Tower of Latria in my next sesh.

And those new DS3 shots are dope. It might have my favorite overall look of all the games with what I've seen so far. There are couple other ones not in that post. I'd post them but I'm on my phone.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

SciFiDownBeat posted:

it's amazing how much more DS3 discussion and positivity is in this thread than in the goddamned DS3 thread

Welcome to Games

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Vulich the Subtle posted:

shcolars gently caress their cthulhus and cum in them.

Epic name / post combo

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Benny D posted:

I don't care what they make. If Miyazaki makes Bubsy 3D 2016 I will buy it at release price

http://bubsy3d.com/ Here's Bubsy 2015

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

my blades of mercy run is not going well.

They don't start to shine until +6 or so, then they become killing machines

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

rediscover posted:

also the name of the game is salt and sanctuary and it pisses me off that i even have to type that

I feel you on that one. Douche chills.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

i was thinking...you know how you can briefly keep striking a dead enemy to regain health...what if that's intentional...to make the player feel th e bloodlust of the old hunters unable to control theirselves...

The frenzy of the hunt

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

http://imgur.com/5DM4Kwe

Thanks for the good times BB. Can't wait to revisit on Halloween for some trill rear end spooky gaming.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

frank.club posted:

so that's you

It's when I covered Yahar'gul Unseen Village at karaoke night

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I'll put it back up but I'm toeing the line dangerously

https://www.twitch.tv/ziasquinn

Only way to play really

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I decided I'm gonna go with the Church Pick for my next build. Any gem suggestions? I can't play video games again until Tuesday but it will be an epic day of beating MGS3 and playing Bloodborne

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

SciFiDownBeat posted:

every time after I've beaten amelia and completed one or two side paths (be it old yharnam, ya'har'gul, cainhurst, nightmare frontier, a chalice dungeon, or hunter's nightmare*) I think of a new neat idea for a character and start all over again.

I happened to rewatch the music video for david bowie's "blackstar" and now I'm crafting a david bowie hunter. not sure what weapons to use though. one thought is arc/blt with the tonitrus and old hunter's bone so I can be david bowie's tesla from "the prestige"

*edit: usually I just get up to ludwig and grab all the weapons along the way, since by this point I am usually way underleveled

Thin White Duke, Student Set B(the one with the white sleeves) no hat / hood, Threaded Cane.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I made it to Vicar tonight, gonna try out the Holy Moonlight Sword. Ah yeah brother.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Haven't been able to play game for 3 days, can't wait to get back into this poo poo tonight at sundown. I'm rocking Ludwigs until I get the MGS. That full charged 2H R2 Stab em and Slam em is one of the simplest yet badass combo in the whole series.

Build goal is lots o Arcane, the MLG, Loch Shield, Cainhurst set.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

goferchan posted:

Yeah I died to his first phase a million times and didn't even know a second phase was coming but when i actually got to it i beat it first try. The first moveset was a lot harder for me for some reason

He's a lot more predictable when he's swinging a big weapon around like so many of the other Souls bosses. When's he's thrashing around like an animal in phase 1 he's definitely tougher.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

https://youtu.be/dCo11Iyad10

I just killed Maria in under 2 minutes, what a rush!!

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I'm playing through DS1 again with the Dark Wood Grain ring (makes you do sick fast flips instead of rolls) and 2handing the Shotel wearing the ninja set and I think it's the most fun playthrough I've had in it. There are so few cool down frames on that weapon that you can constantly flip in, carve a bitch up and flip back out. and the R2 goes through shields. I'm so fast and deadly.

Grandpa you should give it another shot with a build like that. And there are plenty of weird and crazy armor choices if you don't wanna look like a medieval guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Wouldn't it have been announced at e3? you think theyre waiting for TGS?