Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i played about an hour of beyond earth the other day and as far as i can tell it's essentially the fourth civ 5 expansion and a reskin rolled into one. that's not entirely bad though. at least they added the quests and expedition things (that as far as i can tell everyone gets since i've seen every single event that showed up in a preview youtube and exactly no other ones).

that said the quests are just worse versions of an actual good scripted and dynamic events system that paradox has. it's still civ5 and everything that implies at the end of the day. maybe someone will make a cool mod for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Sharmat posted:

So they basically did the thing where the new game they produced is more or less just a mod for an older game released at full retail price?

Yes. The aliens are literally barbarians that can heal extra in certain tiles, which hurt your units until you research certain stuff or acquire Fun Points for a given faction. I instantly hated this game when I turned the difficulty up one notch and the aliens killed every station within trading range and every single unit I'd made all game that wasn't within attack range of the city itself. It's like that Raging Barbarians mod but a game, apparently.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

maev posted:

Its time for nerds to realise that games in space are bad

i dont think space games are bad i just think people keep making the same 3 or 4 insanely lovely space strategy games for some reason. how come total annihilation wasnt the space game everyone wanted to clone.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reassembly, also, is good.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alpha Centauri loving sucked. That's how you know every game claiming to be the successor loving sucks.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Sharmat posted:

I too have a negative opinion of this cult classic. You can tell it's right because it's different from the popular opinion.

You're retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Freeciv is the best civ game these days.

• Locked thread