Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CarForumPoster posted:

That’s really nice! I’ve always thought those were nice but out of my price range when I was collecting as a kid.

Thanks! It wasn't cheap but all my low grade junk silver was enough to pay for it. Much cooler than a stack of 40% Kennedy halves or Barber/seated liberty dimes that were almost blank discs of metal. Some prepper can go get them from the LCS.

And yeah, I'm to the point where I just have to quietly sit and save money for a good coin. At least it'll keep me out of trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Well I guess I picked up a new hobby and am going to start collecting some gold and silver coins/bars/rounds. On a whim I picked up a gold buffalo and a 5oz bar of silver. I’m not planning on hoarding a giant stack of precious metals or anything, but I figured this could be a fun diversion for my discretionary “fun” savings account that will hold value better than my other hobby money pits of ammunition (which just gets fired) and 3D printer filament (which just gets melted into benchies).

I’m going to be trading in a bunch of old jewelry and rings that don’t have any sentimental value- about 8 ounces of silver and a handful of gold rings and chains. I think I’ll be trading for bars and rounds, we’ll see how much value the stuff has.

Any tips on how to approach this at the local coin shop? What’s the expected going rate for scrap 92.5 silver and 10/14/18K gold, and how do I know if I’m about to get ripped off?

smax fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 26, 2024

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

smax posted:

Any tips on how to approach this at the local coin shop? What’s the expected going rate for scrap 92.5 silver and 10/14/18K gold, and how do I know if I’m about to get ripped off?

The prices you get will depend on your area so you'll have to call around and do price comparisons for buying/selling/trading.

It's recommended to go to a certified place e.g. https://www.pcgs.com/dealers

Buying from a pawn shop, flea market or yard sale might lead to disaster.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Zogo posted:

The prices you get will depend on your area so you'll have to call around and do price comparisons for buying/selling/trading.

It's recommended to go to a certified place e.g. https://www.pcgs.com/dealers

Buying from a pawn shop, flea market or yard sale might lead to disaster.

This is an established coin shop with good reviews, I’m not about to try my luck in something like a pawn shop or flea market.