Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm close enough to the border that canadian change is a welcome nonevent, though I haven't gotten any in years, probably because I use a credit card more often these days. Ike dollars are a neat suprise though! Were they clad or did some one bust some 40% ones out of a mint set?

If anyone cares I'm still pulling out duplicate poo poo from my childhood collection of any and every coin that was thrown my way. The experience has taught me how much heavily damaged crap I have and what coins I enjoy having and looking at the most. And its helping me decide on future goals for it.

I think for old US coins I will go for a type set of sorts, but do it my own way and not just be filling in a Dansco 7070 album. I looked at some of the pages this album has and was suprised that they made it a 1909 vdb s penny specifically for the wheat penny spot. I also don't particularly want to go for all 4 large cent variations at this time and as much as I'd love a 20 cent coin my budget doesnt extend that far yet. So I think I'll save my $45 and put it towards a flying eagle cent or something to start instead.

Edit for clarity, as I'm rambling on out loud as to how my coins can be a good collection versus just a hoard of stuff.

Mine is a hoard of stuff with the exception of a few pieces that have specific reasons for being there, and I own it.

As for the Ike dollars, I don't know enough about US issues to answer definitively. All except one of the six are in extremely good condition with just a few nicks and scuffs and still some mint lustre; I'd categorise them as GEF (XF-45 to AU-50 on the US scale). Varying dates; three 1974s, a 1977, a 1978 and a 1972 (the 1978 is the only one that looks like it's had more than a brief circulation), so it's entirely possible they came out of somebody's mint sets. If so that's a shame that someone was that broke as to bust coins out of a mint set just to spend.

I bought a 1797 penny and twopence, 1875 farthing, and some 1910s pennies with Heaton and Kings' Norton mintmarks off eBay. The farthing arrived today. Pretty piece, probably about VF-30 which is a good grade for Victorian bronze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Hey, goons. My wife and daughter found a huge pile of old coins in the basement. Most of them are just low denomination stuff from early 20th century, but we did find this one, and I have no idea what it is. It's pretty corroded, but Google can't identify it. Any ideas?

I'm not expecting it to be valuable, in any way. Just curious to see what it might be.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

null_pointer posted:

Hey, goons. My wife and daughter found a huge pile of old coins in the basement. Most of them are just low denomination stuff from early 20th century, but we did find this one, and I have no idea what it is. It's pretty corroded, but Google can't identify it. Any ideas?

I'm not expecting it to be valuable, in any way. Just curious to see what it might be.

That "10" on the lower right hand side is pretty distinctive. Assuming the coin is made out of copper, my best guess is that it is a 10 Centesimi coin minted by the Kingdom of Italy between 1919 and 1937. I searched the Numista coin database and filtered by denomination (10), composition (Copper) and date range (1700-1950). That query returned 134 results, and this is my best guess.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1960.html

Basement coins are super cool! The oldest one in my collection is a 1775 British farthing that my grandfather found in a basement when he was a kid, Due to the wear of the coin, I was only able to figure out the denomination by scanning the Numista database.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces13152.html

Unrelated, my goals of becoming a cool uncle have been cemented. A few weeks ago, my brother mentioned that his kids have set aside some state quarters, and, after asking my sister if her kids were interested in state quarters, I ordered two sets of 2024 Red Books, and quarter folders for the State Quarter, America the Beautiful, and America Women series. I hope this can foster a fourth generation of interest in coin collecting.

Sy Borg fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 4, 2024

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

You guys absolutely loving rule. Thank you so much!

And basement coins are interesting! We, uhhhh, actually found a 10 Deutsche Mark Nazi coin. That was interesting to explain to my 7-year-old.

Edit:

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 4, 2024

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Welp I was certainly barking up the wrong tree trying to ID null_pointer's coin. Couldn't think of any other left facing portraits with close cropped hair other than King George VI and that clearly wasn't it.

imperiusdamian posted:

As for the Ike dollars, I don't know enough about US issues to answer definitively. All except one of the six are in extremely good condition with just a few nicks and scuffs and still some mint lustre; I'd categorise them as GEF (XF-45 to AU-50 on the US scale). Varying dates; three 1974s, a 1977, a 1978 and a 1972 (the 1978 is the only one that looks like it's had more than a brief circulation), so it's entirely possible they came out of somebody's mint sets. If so that's a shame that someone was that broke as to bust coins out of a mint set just to spend.

It happens all the time unfortunately that people break mint sets or raid grandpa's collections to spend. Now for the quick and dirty trivia about Ike dollars. My asking about 40% was me being curious if you'd lucked into coins with 40% silver content. The fastest way to tell this is to look at the edge of the coin. If it's silver it has the silver content, if the edge is copper colored then it's a cupro-nickel or clad coin. All silver Ikes to my knowledge were made for collector sets, though it is possible for a clad coin to also have been made for a mint set. Usually an S mint mark on modern US currency is an indicator of this, as San Francisco is where most proof sets and the like are minted.

Sy Borg posted:

Unrelated, my goals of becoming a cool uncle have been cemented. A few weeks ago, my brother mentioned that his kids have set aside some state quarters, and, after asking my sister if her kids were interested in state quarters, I ordered two sets of 2024 Red Books, and quarter folders for the State Quarter, America the Beautiful, and America Women series. I hope this can foster a fourth generation of interest in coin collecting.

God I wish I knew kids with an interest in coins so I could set them up with some of my duplicates but alas, my boyfriend's nephews aren't interested. Happily one is into rocks, so I was able to surprise him with stuff I no longer wanted from that collection at least. I thought about doing the weird thing of offering a basket of world coins along with candy to trick or treating kids, but I get none at my house on Halloween so that idea is out.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Turbinosamente posted:

Welp I was certainly barking up the wrong tree trying to ID null_pointer's coin. Couldn't think of any other left facing portraits with close cropped hair other than King George VI and that clearly wasn't it.

It happens all the time unfortunately that people break mint sets or raid grandpa's collections to spend. Now for the quick and dirty trivia about Ike dollars. My asking about 40% was me being curious if you'd lucked into coins with 40% silver content. The fastest way to tell this is to look at the edge of the coin. If it's silver it has the silver content, if the edge is copper colored then it's a cupro-nickel or clad coin. All silver Ikes to my knowledge were made for collector sets, though it is possible for a clad coin to also have been made for a mint set. Usually an S mint mark on modern US currency is an indicator of this, as San Francisco is where most proof sets and the like are minted.

Okay they do have the copper coloured edge so they're not 40%. Two of the 1974s and the 1972 have a little 'D' mark between the bust of Ike and the date; I'm assuming that's for Denver mint? The others don't have a mintmark.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

imperiusdamian posted:

Okay they do have the copper coloured edge so they're not 40%. Two of the 1974s and the 1972 have a little 'D' mark between the bust of Ike and the date; I'm assuming that's for Denver mint? The others don't have a mintmark.

D is indeed Denver and blank is for Philadelphia. Sound likes you still got some nice condition clad Ikes, and it's super awesome you got them from circulation! I still wonder if someone set them aside in the 70s and just now realized they're not worth much more than face. Still neat since I've only ever seen Ikes in the wild once at a flea market.

The American public's resistance to dollar coins is incredible, were you around for the Sacagawea dollar hype of 2000? They tried so so hard to make dollar coins a thing then.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Turbinosamente posted:

D is indeed Denver and blank is for Philadelphia. Sound likes you still got some nice condition clad Ikes, and it's super awesome you got them from circulation! I still wonder if someone set them aside in the 70s and just now realized they're not worth much more than face. Still neat since I've only ever seen Ikes in the wild once at a flea market.

The American public's resistance to dollar coins is incredible, were you around for the Sacagawea dollar hype of 2000? They tried so so hard to make dollar coins a thing then.

I wasn't, I didn't move to the US until 2008 (married an American). It seems weird; the UK went in the opposite direction. They switched from 1-pound notes to pound coins in the early 80s and introduced 2-pound coins in the late 90s. Coins last longer so you just don't need to make as many.

*edit* this is a pic of the six of them. The 1978 is in the poorest condition.

*edit 2* for some reason the image is not showing. Oh well. I'll leave it up in case it works later!

imperiusdamian fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 5, 2024

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
I inherited my father's collection about a year and a half ago. It's probably worth $2-4k altogether (I haven't looked it up and broken it down, but a lot of American Eagles). I think I'd rather have that money in an index fund. Where's the best place to sell?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

imperiusdamian posted:

I wasn't, I didn't move to the US until 2008 (married an American). It seems weird; the UK went in the opposite direction. They switched from 1-pound notes to pound coins in the early 80s and introduced 2-pound coins in the late 90s. Coins last longer so you just don't need to make as many.

Such logic was tried (it's saving you the taxpayer money because coins last longer!) And still failed to stick. I don't know if it's because the previous Susan B. Anthony dollars poisoned the well that badly because that one gets so easily mixed up with a quarter if you're not looking. I almost did it myself when I put my extra dollar coins in my wallet to spend.

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I inherited my father's collection about a year and a half ago. It's probably worth $2-4k altogether (I haven't looked it up and broken it down, but a lot of American Eagles). I think I'd rather have that money in an index fund. Where's the best place to sell?

I have no idea on this, and this could be bad advice so take with a lot of salt, but I'd look for a reputable coin shop or dealer to sell to and go in after research with some idea of the worth. Granted a dealer has to make his profit as well so you wouldn't get top dollar, but you wouldn't have to dick around selling each thing individually on ebay or lose money in fees at an auction house. It appears that the specific coin selling sites I know of may not be of help because at a quick glance MA Shops requires you to be a licensed business with 25k of inventory to sell on there, and V Coins requires a fee, unsure if they also expect you to be a business.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Both PCGS and GreySheet have dealer directories if you want to find a reputable one in your area. The dealers near me offer a free evaluation.

To protect yourself, I would see if your library has a recent version of the Blue Book. This offers a summary of common dealer values and bids for coins. Another approach would be to expect to receive 85% of the spot rate (source - Red Book sets 15% premium/discount for dealer sell/buy rates as a quick snd dirty estimate). This may not apply for rare dates.

https://www.greysheet.com/dealerdirectory

https://www.pcgs.com/dealers/results

https://whitman.com/handbook-of-united-states-coins-2024-hardcover/

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Thanks for the advice. I've found a few places around me that are rated well. I'll take a few coins to each and see if the offer is close to the 'after fees' price from online sales. Although, not having to ship stuff is another bonus.

E: How accurate is Greysheet? I see this for silver eagles:

2021 $1 Type 1 MS $31.55 - $60.00

Are they really valued that much more than spot price?

Lucid Nonsense fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 9, 2024

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I cracked open my Red Book, which is a source known for being optimistic with retail prices and it says a type I heraldic eagle 2021 ASE in MS grade (the lowest listed) should be sold at $50 in a shop. Also the paragraph before says the book's prices were based on a spot price of 22.50 at the time of writing. Most of the base prices for ASEs given hover around that $45 to 50 mark except for the earlier key dates jump up in price, as well some with some sort of fancy burnished finish applied, and of course your graded proof examples also carry a big price tag.

No idea if this helps or confuses the matter, but people love them some American Silver Eagles. They probably just barely edge out the Morgan Dollar for most loved US large silver coin.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I don't understand the popularity of ASEs. They're bullion, so if you can get them for near spot and you like the design then cool. But I'm not paying a premium for modern silver coins with no historical value or scarcity. I can get plenty of cool 19th century silver coins from places like France, Germany, Mexico, Spain, etc for similar spot premiums to ASEs. And they are a lot more interesting and historically significant and their supply will never increase and they will only get rarer over time. I guess that's why my growing collection is 90% European.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I have shamefully cruised through the silver stacking subs of reddit and as far as I know the justifications for ASEs are liking the design, readily available to a primarily American audience that posts, and some weird belief that in a SHTF scenario that it'll be easier to trade in American govermental issued coins because they're so widely recognized although this is more an excuse for stacking junk silver.

I suppose I can't put down bullion stackers too much. I've seen it said that they've saved the hobby of numismatics to some degree. Many stackers start taking an interest in historical silver coins after the bullion gets boring and they begin to wonder what else is out there in precious metals.

But yeah ASEs are uninteresting. I don't get the attraction to them or the Mexican Libertads, another popular choice. I am a little partial to Maple Leafs, but that's probably because I am redoing my Canadian portion of the collection right now. I just ordered fresh coin folders for most of it. So excited to have sore thumbs next week!

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Yeah, that's why I thought pricing them would be more like bullion, but apparently not. My dad started collecting late in life, I think as a way to pass something down to me and my brother. It's mostly ASEs with some Peace and Morgans mixed in, as well as proof sets and some paper. He just kind of bought whatever he could afford.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021
Ordered a 1797 Cartwheel twopence from ebay a couple weeks back; it arrived today. I've been wanting to add one of these to my collection for nearly 40 years. It's a thing of beauty!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Over the years we've been married, my wife and I received US Mint proof sets from her father at Christmastime. He recently suggested that now might be a good time to sell if we're interested in doing so. My wife and I talked it over and agreed that yeah, we really don't have any sentimental attachment to the things and we might as well try to unload them if it's a good time to do so. The thing is, we have no idea where to start looking. We just sort of accumulated them over the years and stacked the boxes up in a cabinet. We've got sets from 1999 through 2007 and 2011 through 2020, minus 2015 (the missing year sets might be around somewhere; I can't remember if there were any gap years where we didn't get a set). We don't know where to look up prices, where they can be sold, etc. Can anyone here give us an idea where to get started?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I'm in the same boat - sitting on a large number of US Mint proofs because my dad thought they were a Good Investment and bought them for me and my sister annually from 1989 to 2018. At some point we're going to unload them because my dad's idea of a Good Investment is Trump coins and Confederate money so gently caress him. I just haven't gotten off my rear end to do it.

I got the gist of values in...2022, I think...from https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/modern-us-proof-set-values-4051894 which I might have even heard about from this very thread.

e: Huh, oddly enough I don't have 2015 either. Was there something weird about that year?

csammis fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 13, 2024

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
At an extremely quick glance that blog post seems to jive with the red book, or at least isn't totally out of line. Another place to look is on the greysheet, the guide book for dealers as to what they should be buying coins at for their shops.

But unless your fathers sprung for fancier sets with silver coins (or you wound up with weird no S errors) it isn't looking good. I've heard that a basic modern clad proof set is generally about $10 bucks retail, give or take.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Yeah no mine are definitely basic sets. I just want them out of my basement.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

csammis posted:

Yeah no mine are definitely basic sets. I just want them out of my basement.

Well the only advice I've got is the same I gave someone else up thread. The fast way to get rid of them for some money would be to find a local coin dealer and see if they'll buy them. Next would be to just ebay them, perhaps in groups of a few years? After these options I've only got the desperation moves of facebook marketplace and similar sites, pawn shops which won't give you a good deal and might not want them because of no precious metal content, and the ultimate final inadvisable and not recommended rock bottom move to just break the set and spend it at face value.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Turbinosamente posted:

Well the only advice I've got is the same I gave someone else up thread. The fast way to get rid of them for some money would be to find a local coin dealer and see if they'll buy them. Next would be to just ebay them, perhaps in groups of a few years? After these options I've only got the desperation moves of facebook marketplace and similar sites, pawn shops which won't give you a good deal and might not want them because of no precious metal content, and the ultimate final inadvisable and not recommended rock bottom move to just break the set and spend it at face value.

Are the links that you've posted previously applicable for banknotes as well?

As a completely different tangent... I'm starting to end up with a rather sizable set of duplicate notes that I don't really want or have a need for.

I can post some pictures if anyone would be interested in possibly wanting them.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

DarkSol posted:

Are the links that you've posted previously applicable for banknotes as well?

As a completely different tangent... I'm starting to end up with a rather sizable set of duplicate notes that I don't really want or have a need for.

I can post some pictures if anyone would be interested in possibly wanting them.

I don't know of any reason why Greysheet wouldn't be a valid source for wholesale values of both US currency and world banknotes as there's sections for both. Outside of that, Numista may or may not be helpful, though I've found many a coin that has no price data at all and have not delved into their banknote database. And of course sold ebay listings, but that can be too much like work.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Looks like most of ours are the silver proof sets, though a few of the earlier ones are the regular type. At least we don't have lots of them sitting around, just enough that we'll be able to get back some shelf space, an even more valuable commodity than silver.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Meaty Ore posted:

Looks like most of ours are the silver proof sets, though a few of the earlier ones are the regular type. At least we don't have lots of them sitting around, just enough that we'll be able to get back some shelf space, an even more valuable commodity than silver.

It is only recently I've learned the value of space and begun reclaiming it myself. Post organizing my coin collection still takes up the same shelf foot print it always has but at least theres room in the binders now for new stuff?

To that end I finally decided what direction to take my world coins! It'll be type sets with plants/flowers as the first subject with animals and landscapes tied for the second subject. It also means I have a whole box of duplicates to get rid of so if anyone is looking for common world coins in circulated condition let me know. It will be a while before I can take my own advice and see if the local shop will buy bulk.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Hi thread, when I was a kid I was given a 1977 Krugerrand (bullion I believe) as kind of an inheritance/"if you ever need money, sell this" type of thing.

Well we had a hosed half a year or so and now I need the money. Losing the sentimental value kinda sucks but what are you gonna do. What's the best way to maximize what I can get for this? Is this something I can get spot price for? I'm on the central coast of CA so while it's not Beverly Hills there is some money here. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Most pawn shops will give 90% spot price ($1818 right now) and they go for $2025 shipped on eBay, which is around $1800 after fees.

If you're looking to sell fast, anything over $1800 is probably decent. You could likely hold out for $2000 from the right buyer, but that ain't gonna be a pawn/coin shop.

Is it loose?

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Yeah, it's not trashed but it's been in various jewelry and curio boxes over the last 25 years or so, so it's not ultra clean or anything. I'll grab some photos once I get home but it doesn't seem like it would have any extra numismatic value 🤷

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Check actual coin/bullion stores if there's one near you. My local one buys silver for 100% spot price and gold for 97%.

I still have crap from my dad to get rid of. Some of it I should get graded/regraded, but USPS lost a package of coins even though I sent it registered and refused to pay out on the insurance so I've just been sitting on it.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 22, 2024

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Grand Fromage posted:

Check actual coin/bullion stores if there's one near you. My local one buys silver for 100% spot price and gold for 97%.

I still have crap from my dad to get rid of. Some of it I should get graded/regraded, but USPS lost a package of coins even though I sent it registered and refused to pay out on the insurance so I've just been sitting on it.

Yeah that's why even though my googling turned up a mention that the big bullion companies like JM Bullion, Apmex etc have buy back programs, that's an awfully expensive thing to trust to USPS even with insurance. Plus you have to pay to ship and wait for the cash back. I'd be calling dealers and maybe pawn shops if I had to, and see how close to spot I can get.

Sucks that you have to sell, Target Practice.

Edit: Speaking of gold bullion what is the hot pattern these days? Most of the posting I saw was lusting over St. Gaudens and maybe the Maple Leaf. Has the Krugerrands popularity finally declined as the go to for gold stacking?

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 22, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I sold a lot online and only had the one issue, but still. USPS loving me out of a thousand bucks. :argh:

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Yeah, I sat with the concept last night and I found out this morning that my bonus is coming in a few weeks instead of like a month and a half so we may be able to squeak by until then. I've always liked this thing as an object, horrible apartheid provenance aside. That's the only bright spot to sell it really.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sy Borg posted:

I consider my coin folder gifts to be a success! The prior weekend, I gave the sets of coin folders and Red Books to my nieces and nephews and they were well received overall. My siblings and their kids spent about an hour sorting through their collections, trying their best to push coins into the annoying little slots while listening to me talk about mintmarks.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Sy Borg posted:

I consider my coin folder gifts to be a success! The prior weekend, I gave the sets of coin folders and Red Books to my nieces and nephews and they were well received overall. My siblings and their kids spent about an hour sorting through their collections, trying their best to push coins into the annoying little slots while listening to me talk about mintmarks.

Yeah, if you had to introduce them to a collecting hobby, coins are a good choice. Philately will get you nowhere

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Grumio posted:

Yeah, if you had to introduce them to a collecting hobby, coins are a good choice. Philately will get you nowhere

Yeah, I get the feeling that stamp collectors are raging against the dying of the light. Which sucks but unfortunately it is the way it is since our relationship to letter mail has changed so drastically in the past couple decades. I still reflexively save stamps off of envelopes as it is an ingrained habit from childhood, but I kinda wish I wasn't saddled with my tragically deceased grandfather's huge collection. The sentimentality there means it can't be got rid of, and what value it had is rapidly eroding away.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grumio posted:

Turbinosamente posted:

Yeah, I get the feeling that stamp collectors are raging against the dying of the light. Which sucks but unfortunately it is the way it is since our relationship to letter mail has changed so drastically in the past couple decades. I still reflexively save stamps off of envelopes as it is an ingrained habit from childhood, but I kinda wish I wasn't saddled with my tragically deceased grandfather's huge collection. The sentimentality there means it can't be got rid of, and what value it had is rapidly eroding away.

When I revisited my coin collection, my wife asked the same question about stamps with a hint of concern. Even though the designs are super cool (like my sheet of James Webb telescope stamps!), I never had an interest in stamps probably because they lack any sense of heft.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
As a young nerd, I had a stamp collecting phase and while it was pretty interesting to see the old designs and all, it mostly felt like sorting. Like, I had the basic US Stamps Birth to 1980 album and a pile of old stamps, and I'd sort through them to fill in the blanks in the book. I couldn't afford older rarer stamps, and at that time current stamps were mostly boring, and I was done with it by the time there were elvis and simpsons stamps--though deliberately collectable stamps feel kind of lame.

My dad had a first day of cover letter collection for a while, which was moderately more interesting, but only moderately.

Sy Borg posted:

never had an interest in stamps probably because they lack any sense of heft.
Also this. My interest in coins is at best casual, but it's neat to have them in hand and I'll always pick through my change for something unexpected.

Edit: Though I do remember being psyched to finally find a sheet of these at a show:

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 5, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

lol