Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Ive been building a collection of Canadian circulation silver over the past two years, I have maybe 60 pieces of my goal of 323, maybe I'll take some pictures at some point, but I acquired something I absolutely love that isn't part of that and I'd like to share it.

An imperial German 5 mark. I love the size and weight, really satisfying to hold and show off

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/pBwLy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

323 is an oddly specific goal number lol. I wish I knew more about older Canadian silver, I've mostly just been picking up old American silver quarters/dimes when I chance upon them.

That German coin is awesome, I've been looking at old Prussian gold coins but every listing seems to want an absurd premium on top of melt value.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I actually meant 314 coins haha, and the specific number is because the goal of my collection is to have one coin in each denomination for every year they were made. 47 half dimes, 87 dimes, 1 20-cent, 84 quarters, 67 halves, and 28 dollars.

wrt to the Prussian gold, I know a lot of German gold and large silver coins were hoarded or melted, or exported to pay the huge war indemnity following WW1. So some of them are quite rare despite large mintages. The 5 mark I have here cost about twice what the silver is worth, but it's in pretty good condition with no signs of cleaning so I'm happy with the premium

That being said the Prussian 20 marks from the imperial period are probably your best bet, I've seen them sold pretty close to spot or at spot, cause they made a shitload of em

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Apparently it's been a while or something. Got a flatbed scanner (first I've had in almost 15 years), a copy of VueScan as it bypasses the banknote scanning security (and GIMP will edit the images just fine). VueScan is try-before-you-buy; it just puts its watermark *everywhere* until you purchase it. So I have my entire banknote collection scanned at 800 dpi.

Grabbed a couple of nice banknotes over the last few months:

$100 Series 1966 United States Note

$5 Series 1899 Silver Certificate

$5 Series 1914 Federal Reserve Note

$10 Series 1922 Gold Certificate

$1 Series 1896 Silver Certificate
Part of the "Educational Series" produced in 1896

Traded/sold about 0.57 ounces of gold for those last two.
My large sized US banknote album.
My small sized US banknote album.

Have added a bunch of foreign banknotes to my collection.

$10 Series 1988 Australian. First circulating polymer banknote for regular issue.

The rest of my foreign stuff is in this album.

For coinage and bullion:

2016 one ounce Trump Dollar (oh god).

1994 Principality of Sealand, One Dollar

2 ounce Egyptian Gods series, Anubis

2 ounce Privateer series, The Plank

1985 one ounce Halley's Comet silver round

2015 Republic of Congo, one ounce, 5000 Francs silver ounce

2016 one ounce Satosan Metals, Tsukiakari.
Mintage: 214/300 (30 are gold plated)

One ounce Asahi silver bar

One ounce Iraqi SCUD Launcher silver bar

2016 two ounces, UK Five Pounds "Griffin of Edward" Queen's Beast

2015 Kazakhstan 1 Tenge Silver Irbis

2017 British Virgin Islands, one dollar Pegasus

2016 Mongolia silver ounce, Genghis Khan, 1000 Tögrög
PCGS PR70 DCAM, mintage: 1,000

2016 Mongolia gold half gram, Genghis Khan, 1000 Tögrög
PCGS PR70 DCAM, mintage: 5,000
(I cropped the reverse wrong. Oops.)

1974 Monaco, 1.1896 troy ounce, 100 Francs
I do not have the setup to catch the monster toning on this thing.
This shot from my phone, with the coin tilted in the sunlight
will have to do:

1818 United States quarter dollar

1876 Carson City mint, United States dime

1966 Peru, 20 Soles de Oro
Commemorative: Battle of Callao
7.97g of .900 fine, 7.173g asw.
Mintage: 4,001

1896 Hungary, 1 Korona
5g of .835 fine, 4.175g asw
Mintage: 1,000,000

1969 Uraguay, 1,000 Pesos
Commemorative: FAO
25g of .900 fine, 22.5g asw.
Mintage: 500,000 (teardrop variant)

1982 Cuba, 5 Pesos
Commemorative, Hidalgo Don Quijote
0.3854 troy ounce silver
Mintage: 7,000

1953 Cuba, 25 Centavos
100th Anniversary of José Martí
0.1808 troy ounce silver

1952 Cuba, 20 Centavos
50th Anniversary of the Republic of Cuba
0.1447 troy ounce silver

Half Crown, King Charles I, 1645-46

Three Pence, King James II, 1687

Half Crown, King William III and Queen Mary II, 1689

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 15, 2017

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Oh man I was just wondering if there was a coin/silver/gold thread floating around. I've recently picked up the hobby after a 20ish year hiatus.

When I was around 10 my parents bought for me, from the Barnes & Noble kids section, a coin collecting kit. This included an information booklet on 20th Century American coins, a cardboard collection/display mat, and best of all, a 1943 steel penny. My mind was blown, I had no idea such a thing existed, or indeed any other coins before the common Washington quarters, Lincoln pennies, etc. Over the following years whenever I would find a coin I would place it in the designated cardboard space until I kinda lost interest. I had no money to buy the coins I was missing, and there was little chance of me finding one in the wild (with a couple exceptions). I always kept them in a safe place though, and made sure to never lose them for sentimental reasons. The last coin I acquired was my grandmother's 1922 Peace dollar in my early 20's.

A few weeks ago I got a wild hair up my rear end and looked into buying silver or gold bars, found apmex.com, and ordered a 2016 Silver Eagle and a BU 1921 Morgan. My latent addictive tendencies have since taken over and my modest stack is now as follows:

Old Collection:

New Collection (except that tarnished Peace, thats my Grandma's):

The copper coin is something I picked up at a Ren faire and paid way too much for, I had no clue what it was and it came in a fancy plastic capsule :v:

(apologies for terrible pictures)

I plan on picking up all the missing coins so I can finally, after two decades, complete my cardboard holder. Also a 2016 silver Maple leaf and a 2016 silver Libertad, to join my 2016 Silver Eagle and make a nice little North America collection. Not pictured: a ton of wheat pennies and a few Indian heads from my grandfather.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
You may find https://www.reddit.com/r/PMsForSale of interest. PMs = precious metals. I've done several purchases and sales there. I sold all of my gold there to fund the purchase of a Springfield M1911 Range Officer .45 ACP pistol, and two of the banknotes I posted above (and I got the banknotes from a redditor).

I would also try hunting down a Dansco 7070 type set album. They're not made anymore and unfortunately go for quite a bit on eBay.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
In what I can only describe as a spiritual awakening, I think I like this poo poo. It started a month or 2 ago trying to catalog my grandma's collection and it was actually really fun researching and using the coin flips and stuff. So then I asked offhand if she had anymore, and my father in law said "hold on" and came back with 2 small chests full of coins!

I've got one of those HobbyMaster binders full now and probably have several hundred ( if not thousand ) coins to go through here.

So I guess I'm looking for some "idle curiousity turned actual hobby" advice:

-What do you guys use to keep track? I was using an excel sheet but then I realized I spent most of my time on numista.com researching and if you register there you can keep track of your collection ( and even export it to excel if you want ). I thought maybe some sort of software might be worth using but none of them seem to actually stay current, with numista it'll actually show you stuff like silver values based on your local currency etc and a nice graph/map of your collection. It's pretty no frills ( looks like it was made in the 90s and never updated ) but at least I don't feel like I'm doubling up on my work you know?

-What do you store your collections in? I've been using those HobbyMaster Coin Collection "starter kits" ( binder, coinflips, comically small bill holders ), but I dunno is there a better/nicer way to keep track of a poo poo ton of coins? I haven't come across any that are worth more than maybe $100 ( optimistically based on ebay sold listings ) but I suppose if I get one in here that is worth $$'s you use a plastic/felt holder thing?

-Is there any advice some of you long term nerds can give? Like "don't bother using coin flips" or whatever?

edit: gently caress I just realized that NGC DOES let you add a collection. Now I don't know if I should convert my existing on one Numista and/or manually add to NGC? Numista seems very much a hobbyist site - like you can exchange with other members and so on. Whereas NGC is more about actually selling - is that accurate?

edit2: I tried adding a coin or 2 to NGC and I dunno, it seems kind of like it's more geared towards if you buy/sell through NGC and the coin is NGC Certified. Like I added a "Raw" coin and there's no little picture of what it looks like etc unless I add it myself. When I kind of like how Numista will show me what it looks like if it was mint.

Really, I just want to spend time adding/researching my coins to a single database. I'm not really planning on selling anything or getting it professionally graded unless I come across something that might actually be valuable.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 17, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TollTheHounds posted:

-What do you store your collections in?

I use stuff from https://www.whitman.com/store

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Non-PVC plastic flips. Various Dansco albums. Empty "Monster" boxes.. I have my foreign banknotes in these. PCGS slab boxes.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

My next order of silver arrived today :neckbeard:

I managed to take some slightly better pictures this time. Joining my 2016 Silver Eagle is a 2016 Silver Maple Leaf and a 2016 Silver Libertad:

Peep them silver titties

I also ordered 3 ounces of the bargain bin generic silver, with the request for "something weird or interesting"

Cool toning on this bar

I got no clue on this last one, best I can think of would be a piece of trade show swag, the blank reverse maybe was supposed to have contact info, like an expensive business card?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I will never get tired of the American Silver Eagle and Libertad designs. I finally finished my air-tite tube of 1/10 fractional Gold Eagles, so I've moved on to grabbing gold Sovereigns when I can find them close to melt value.

If gold would just drop back below 1,200/oz that would be lovely.

edit: I'm also really glad this thread has come back from the dead.

meat police fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 22, 2017

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

FYI, APMEX is having a silver kangaroo sweepstakes, no purchase necessary and you can sign up online. Winner gets 250 one-ounce silver kangaroos in a sealed mini-monster box

http://www.apmex.com/2017-silver-kangaroo-sweepstakes?_campaign=02212017promocategorykangaroosweepstakes

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Finally got this 1876 Sovereign. It came out of jewelry so it didn't have any collectible value, just melt. I didn't like the design at first but it's growing on me, I also might try to grab some Francs if I can find an ok deal.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

Finally got this 1876 Sovereign. It came out of jewelry so it didn't have any collectible value, just melt. I didn't like the design at first but it's growing on me, I also might try to grab some Francs if I can find an ok deal.

Thats a really cool looking coin! How much gold is that?

Is anyone planning on getting one of the new African-American Lady Liberty coins? I'm saving up for one currently.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/13/us/black-lady-liberty-us-coin.html

US Mint website says April 6th release date

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

Thats a really cool looking coin! How much gold is that?

Is anyone planning on getting one of the new African-American Lady Liberty coins? I'm saving up for one currently.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/13/us/black-lady-liberty-us-coin.html

US Mint website says April 6th release date

0.23 toz / 7.98 grams, since a majority of them can be haggled down to melt value they make fun pieces just to play with, since they'll never be worth less than melt. I've grabbed two more that I'm waiting to get in.

I actually think the new lady liberty design looks pretty cool, I just wish her star headband wasn't so huge design-wise. I think after this coin they're going to release one with a hispanic lady liberty in a series celebrating diversity, might have to put aside some money for them.

Gold and silver is taking a small pounding today so I'm seeing if I can grab a roll of Mercury dimes somewhere.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

Gold and silver is taking a small pounding today so I'm seeing if I can grab a roll of Mercury dimes somewhere.

Yeah, APMEX has 10oz silver bars on sale for $0.29 over spot and I'm debating pulling the trigger....

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Aaaaand here's where my tax returns went:

$5 Series 1907 United States Note, "Woodchopper"

15˘ Fourth issue Fractional Currency (July 14, 1869 through February 16, 1875}

10˘ Fifth issue Fractional Currency (February 26, 1874 through February 16, 1876)

$20 Series 1864, Confederate States of America

[edit]

Oh, and this;

King James I sixpence, 1609.

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 6, 2017

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Goddamn that lady liberty 15 cent bill design is awesome. I've always wondered about graded bills, do they put them in a large slab like they do coins? With paper money it seems like it'd require a real careful touch.

I recieved my other two Soveriegns in to join my 1876. A 1968 and a 2017. Sorry for the completely awful cell camera photos.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Graded bills are slabbed, but they're not rigid plastic like coin slabs, they're very flexible.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

:eyepop:

Nice bills and sovereigns!

APMEX has another monster box sweepstakes, this time for 500 oz of silver maple leafs. You can enter online, don't have to buy anything

http://www.apmex.com/2017-rcm-sweepstakes

Does anyone have any of the silver Queen's Beasts? Almost grabbed a Griffon but the Red Dragon is coming out soon and it looks pretty cool

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

:eyepop:

Nice bills and sovereigns!

APMEX has another monster box sweepstakes, this time for 500 oz of silver maple leafs. You can enter online, don't have to buy anything

http://www.apmex.com/2017-rcm-sweepstakes

Does anyone have any of the silver Queen's Beasts? Almost grabbed a Griffon but the Red Dragon is coming out soon and it looks pretty cool

Haven't bought any of those yet although I've been debating buying a 20 count tube for fun. Currently the big seller/resellers I've noticed in my groups have been the gold Roosters from China and the gold Scrooge McDucks from the New Zealand Mint.

Don't forget APMEX and JM Bullion and most big Mints have eBay storefronts. Although it's very rare, they do sell combo packages for a lower price at times on there.

Have you guys seen the Effigy Mounds Quarter design? It's bad, reeeeally bad.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Super Waffle posted:

I've got one of each of the first two. I'll probably grab the third next payday.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Your posts are talking me into getting a scanner.

Surprised Goons haven't made a sane FB group revolving around PM's. God knows the world needs it.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

meat police posted:

Your posts are talking me into getting a scanner.

Surprised Goons haven't made a sane FB group revolving around PM's. God knows the world needs it.

*does the phone call finger movement and whispers* 'call me'

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
The scanner I got is an Epson Perfection V39, along with a paid copy of VueScan, as it bypasses the "error" that normal software throw up when you attempt to scan certain banknotes (older notes will work fine with the standard software, but toss in a spanking new $50 USD and it wont scan). Regular image editing software will also cough up an error when you try to load certain banknotes. GIMP bypasses this as well, but is a pain to use.

[edit] If you're referring to those coin images, um.. those were with an expensive DSLR camera and expensive macro lens. I just don't have the proper setup to get PCGS TrueView quality images. My setup is literally holding my camera with a light ring on the lens, pointing it at the coin, which is sitting on a plastic coin easel, and slowly adjusting the camera until I've got it as head on to the coin as I can get, and taking the picture.

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 7, 2017

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I never thought you would run into those big of issues honestly. I mean those notes aren't using the EURion constellation that paper monies and particularly sensitive memo's utilize.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

meat police posted:

I never thought you would run into those big of issues honestly. I mean those notes aren't using the EURion constellation that paper monies and particularly sensitive memo's utilize.

There are more things the scanners look for than just the EURion Constellation. There are watermarks as well. Several of my notes gave the default scanner software issue. A few that didn't, my photo editing software threw a hissy fit and I had to resort to GIMP for editing. There are a few that use the constellation, that the default scanner software gave no shits about, too.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Dang, it's crazy that those old of bills would still trip up scanners, a testament to their efforts to prevent forgeries.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

So I took advantage of the low prices this morning and my first bonus from work and ordered a silver Britannia, a Walking Liberty half dollar, and my first ever gold coin, a 1/10 ounce gold eagle. I'll post pics once they arrive :buddy:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

You were lucky to buy in low, I saw it hit 16.99 and went "nah surely it'll hit $16 again" but :sigh:

So they finally announced preorder pricing on the new silver Krugerrand at $60, $130 for it to be already graded. I know it's a hell of a premium but I'll probably grab an SP70 just because I want one, no real investment there.

I almost never buy silver with a high premium, because it seems to require a lot of wheeling and dealing to make back any money. I might as well start buying limited ed. Elvis plates out of the Sunday circular by that point.

meat police fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 13, 2017

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

You were lucky to buy in low, I saw it hit 16.99 and went "nah surely it'll hit $16 again" but :sigh:

So they finally announced preorder pricing on the new silver Krugerrand at $60, $130 for it to be already graded. I know it's a hell of a premium but I'll probably grab an SP70 just because I want one, no real investment there.

I almost never buy silver with a high premium, because it seems to require a lot of wheeling and dealing to make back any money. I might as well start buying limited ed. Elvis plates out of the Sunday circular by that point.

I was about to say that I'd never pay 3x spot for a new coin, but then I remembered my slabbed MS-70 silver eagle :v:

My order came in today! I picked up a silver Brittania to add to my collection of government mint silver coins; I'll probably add a kookaburra next

Also grabbed a 1945 Walking Liberty, I'm very happy with the condition on this one

And finally my first ever gold coin! A 2015 1/10 ounce gold eagle:

Its so teeny! :buddy:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

And finally my first ever gold coin! A 2015 1/10 ounce gold eagle:

Its so teeny! :buddy:

Hahaha welcome to the Au addiction buddy, the cool thing about fractionals like the 1/10 and 1/4 is that they're super easy to find a buyer if you ever need to liquidate.

I bought the graded SP70 silver Krugerrand because I'm dumb and I like looking at shiny things.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
I need the silver Krugerand and South Korea's Chiwoo, but the prices on both… ugh. [edit] Screw it, picking up a Chiwoo medal. 30k mintage… [/edit]

I did get three more banknotes, though.

1921 Philippines 5 pesos

And Zimbabwe is at it again;

2016 bond note, $5

2016 bond note, $2

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 19, 2017

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I bought 4 more Sovereigns before the Fed rate hike :/

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Clearly I need your wallet. Took me a year to get an ounce of gold. Sold about half to get a Springfield 1911 Range Officer, and trade the other half for a pair of old US banknotes.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I would love for a day off but in the meantime I like money haha. I've got a Ruger 1911 I've been wanting to play with but again, no time off the past few months.

GovMint called me to follow up on my order, super nice guys there.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

meat police posted:

I would love for a day off but in the meantime I like money haha. I've got a Ruger 1911 I've been wanting to play with but again, no time off the past few months.

GovMint called me to follow up on my order, super nice guys there.

My 1911.

I have a Ruger 10/22. They don't really have any pistols that interest me. I've also got a second Springfield pistol, a 9mm XDM and I've a .22LR pistol, a Browning Buck Mark Contour URX 7.25, and a piecemeal AR15.

If I get another pistol, I'll probably be a CZ or Beretta, or if I go for milsurp, I really want a non-import Russian TT-33.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
Hey money collectors. I have a few questions. I just found a bag that has a bunch of loose coins in it that might have belonged to my father of grandparents, and while most of them I have been able to identify, I have no idea about these. Do any of you goons have any info on them?

I think this is some Hawaiian coin. The date on the front says 1883. (I think)

This seems to be some kind of commemorative coin.

Another Hawaiian coin. The date might say 1847.

A square Indian coin. 1942

I think this is a Chinese coin. I have 6 of these and one is in the best condition.

No idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces16182.html

Not finding this one…

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces16184.html

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces5554.html

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/in...ce=y&cu=y&cat=y

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces4825.html