Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I've been adding little bits to my tiny collection of silver eagles that I inherited from my grandpa (through my parents cleaning things out of their house). Did a little ebay buying last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Double posting for a newbie question.

Regarding storage: Once you've got a coin that's clearly been in a few cash register drawers/pockets/change jars, does it really need to be kept in a sleeve or capsule? I get needing to keep high-rated or uncirculated coins like that, but in the case of what I've got above, am I really going to hurt the already banged up peace dollar if it sits on my desk for me to fiddle with, or if it gets kept in a cigar box with other (old and banged up) coins?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

meat police posted:

Anyone dealing with fallout from the Silver Eagle limited run the Mint had? I've stopped checking FB groups due to the high school drama arising from promised buy prices being reneged on by all sorts of sellers. Seriously kicking myself for not trying to pick up a few though due to the hysteria.

What happened?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Sy Borg posted:

This weekend I'll post some photos if other posters are interested.
:justpost:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
As a young nerd, I had a stamp collecting phase and while it was pretty interesting to see the old designs and all, it mostly felt like sorting. Like, I had the basic US Stamps Birth to 1980 album and a pile of old stamps, and I'd sort through them to fill in the blanks in the book. I couldn't afford older rarer stamps, and at that time current stamps were mostly boring, and I was done with it by the time there were elvis and simpsons stamps--though deliberately collectable stamps feel kind of lame.

My dad had a first day of cover letter collection for a while, which was moderately more interesting, but only moderately.

Sy Borg posted:

never had an interest in stamps probably because they lack any sense of heft.
Also this. My interest in coins is at best casual, but it's neat to have them in hand and I'll always pick through my change for something unexpected.

Edit: Though I do remember being psyched to finally find a sheet of these at a show:

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I didn't know the lady that "restored" the painting of Jesus was an engraver too!