Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The recent purchase of two Peace Dollars prompted me to revisit my coin collection after a decade of it sitting in a box. To be fair, its an amalgamation of coins collected by my Dad and his father along with my contributions, which as intergenerational accumulation should be the basis of any coin collection. An earlier poster up thread mentioned the importance of focus, I really want to finish my collection of Peace Dollars while also assessing my bucket of coins to flesh out the 20th century American coins pulled from circulation (mostly quarters). This weekend I'll post some photos if other posters are interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

Ha, your collection sounds a bit like my collection. Mom started me on Whitman coin books as a child and then because I was into coins I later inherited both my grandfather's and great uncle's accumulations. The sentimentality there makes it difficult to cut duplicates and really shape the collection into a collection vs a hoard though. I suspect the stuff from my grandfather was more a tiny silver stack than a collection, because of the multiple same date barber dimes and I think he was the one with the morgans? I should post more pics, but my collection is pretty average stuff and average grades too.

How far along are you on the quarters? It took me until last year to finally finish the state quarters pulling them from circulation. Now I have the hell of trying to get the 2009 territories and the harder to get america the beautiful ones. Yeah I could just ebay them, but I've come this far and it seems silly to give up now. Also much to my chagrin I have yet to find a goddamn w quarter in circulation, it's pissing me off, especially when coin roll hunters post that they got like 3 in a box or some poo poo.

My collection of State Quarters is complete, but for some unknown reason my coin folder doesn't distinguish between Philadelphia and Denver mint marks. That is odd because I have the same Littleton folders for other Washington Quarters (1948 to 1998, 2009, and American The Beautiful) which do have separate slots for P & D. Which states are you missing? After I sort my current batch of quarters, I may have some duplicates. PM me your list and I can send you some if they pop up.

As for the 2009 quarters, I'm missing District of Columbia for Philadelphia while Denver is still pretty empty (Guam, USVI, America Samoa, and Northern Mariana Islands).

Here are my two cents from my collection on this topic! I find 19th century large cents to be particularly beautiful. It's a shame the modern penny is both small in size and purchasing power because the large cents feel so nice in the hand.

Sy Borg fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 12, 2024

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

Oh crap are we both on the east coast? Because it is also the D mint marks that are the death of me. My states are complete, but I too am missing 2009 Denver Guam, USVI, and Northern Mariana Islands. From there it's the weird state parks and stuff, I can still pm you the list if you'd like.

Edit: gently caress I thought I saw a District of Columbia P recently but I may have spent it, dammit.

Yep, we share this fine coast! I picked up an extended State Quarter folder last night. When I transferred my collection from the old to new folder, every single coin had a Philadelphia mint mark.

Feel free to PM me your list. My state parks are lacking Denver sorely.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

Pm sent! And yeah, that's strange that the one folder didn't have the other mint mark. I wound up having to transfer my state quarters into another album years ago because the acid in the cardboard of the old one started puting an ugly yellowish brown tone on the edge of the coins. I wound up with the deluxe Whitman folder for mine; the only thing annoying is it's larger than all my regular Whitman stuff. I guess that's what deluxe gets you?

I've got the exact same folder and it is obnoxiously large, but lucky for me it also has slots for the 2009 quarters so I was able to consolidate better. The previous holder only had enough slots for the 2009 quarters for both mints - a truly dumb design.

I'll take a look at your PM and let you know!

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Presidential dollar looks like an overgrown Chuck E. Cheese tokens and the portraits are uncannily bad.

This weekend my Dad mentioned that he has four cans of spare change. Since organizing coins is somewhat relaxing, I asked if I could sort through them and swap any coins for my collection for face value or a fair price if silver or old wheat pennies show up. He gave me one which appears to be a 12x12 cookie tin that was brimming with spare change to such a degree that the bottom was sagging slightly. After a few hours, I was able to fill some gaps in my nickels and dimes. However, the real prize bubbled up while sorting through the quarters. I found a 2019-W American Memorial Park and a 2009-P District of Columbia quarter.

The former quarter is more interesting. To encourage interest in coin collecting, in 2019 and 20220 the US Mint released a very limited amount quarters into circulation that were minted at the West Point Mint. Known for minting bullion and precious metal coins, West Point had never produced coins for regular circulation until then. As a point of comparison, there were only 2 million of this particular quarter minted compared to the 142 million and 182 million minuted at the Philadelphia and Denver mints, respectively.

Thanks to Thanks to Turbinosamente who clued me in on the the W mintmarks!

2019-W American Memorial Park

https://www.usmint.gov/news/inside-the-mint/mint-releases-first-ever-w-quarters-into-circulation

Sy Borg fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 29, 2024

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

null_pointer posted:

Hey, goons. My wife and daughter found a huge pile of old coins in the basement. Most of them are just low denomination stuff from early 20th century, but we did find this one, and I have no idea what it is. It's pretty corroded, but Google can't identify it. Any ideas?

I'm not expecting it to be valuable, in any way. Just curious to see what it might be.

That "10" on the lower right hand side is pretty distinctive. Assuming the coin is made out of copper, my best guess is that it is a 10 Centesimi coin minted by the Kingdom of Italy between 1919 and 1937. I searched the Numista coin database and filtered by denomination (10), composition (Copper) and date range (1700-1950). That query returned 134 results, and this is my best guess.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1960.html

Basement coins are super cool! The oldest one in my collection is a 1775 British farthing that my grandfather found in a basement when he was a kid, Due to the wear of the coin, I was only able to figure out the denomination by scanning the Numista database.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces13152.html

Unrelated, my goals of becoming a cool uncle have been cemented. A few weeks ago, my brother mentioned that his kids have set aside some state quarters, and, after asking my sister if her kids were interested in state quarters, I ordered two sets of 2024 Red Books, and quarter folders for the State Quarter, America the Beautiful, and America Women series. I hope this can foster a fourth generation of interest in coin collecting.

Sy Borg fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 4, 2024

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I inherited my father's collection about a year and a half ago. It's probably worth $2-4k altogether (I haven't looked it up and broken it down, but a lot of American Eagles). I think I'd rather have that money in an index fund. Where's the best place to sell?

Both PCGS and GreySheet have dealer directories if you want to find a reputable one in your area. The dealers near me offer a free evaluation.

To protect yourself, I would see if your library has a recent version of the Blue Book. This offers a summary of common dealer values and bids for coins. Another approach would be to expect to receive 85% of the spot rate (source - Red Book sets 15% premium/discount for dealer sell/buy rates as a quick snd dirty estimate). This may not apply for rare dates.

https://www.greysheet.com/dealerdirectory

https://www.pcgs.com/dealers/results

https://whitman.com/handbook-of-united-states-coins-2024-hardcover/

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sy Borg posted:

Unrelated, my goals of becoming a cool uncle have been cemented. A few weeks ago, my brother mentioned that his kids have set aside some state quarters, and, after asking my sister if her kids were interested in state quarters, I ordered two sets of 2024 Red Books, and quarter folders for the State Quarter, America the Beautiful, and America Women series. I hope this can foster a fourth generation of interest in coin collecting.

I consider my coin folder gifts to be a success! The prior weekend, I gave the sets of coin folders and Red Books to my nieces and nephews and they were well received overall. My siblings and their kids spent about an hour sorting through their collections, trying their best to push coins into the annoying little slots while listening to me talk about mintmarks.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grumio posted:

Yeah, if you had to introduce them to a collecting hobby, coins are a good choice. Philately will get you nowhere

Turbinosamente posted:

Yeah, I get the feeling that stamp collectors are raging against the dying of the light. Which sucks but unfortunately it is the way it is since our relationship to letter mail has changed so drastically in the past couple decades. I still reflexively save stamps off of envelopes as it is an ingrained habit from childhood, but I kinda wish I wasn't saddled with my tragically deceased grandfather's huge collection. The sentimentality there means it can't be got rid of, and what value it had is rapidly eroding away.

When I revisited my coin collection, my wife asked the same question about stamps with a hint of concern. Even though the designs are super cool (like my sheet of James Webb telescope stamps!), I never had an interest in stamps probably because they lack any sense of heft.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Have some respect.

lol

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

I try and stay away from speculating on why the prices of silver and gold are the way they are: mostly because a lot of woo types have been screaming about silver being artificially suppressed for years. It makes it very hard to figure out the legitimate points for that argument versus the stackers that want to get rich should silver go up to $50 or even $100 an ounce. Anyways I finally have mildly interesting thread content as I've finally checked out the local coin shop!

First I finally got me a flying eagle cent! And yes I only have a VG budget for this coin, and chose this grubbier looking one with the rim dent over the others because there was still detail in the tail feathers.

Flying Eagle cents are a personal favorite of mine, partially due to the fact they were minted for only three years. However, the biggest appeal for me is that it has a bird on the observe. American coins can be pretty boring from a design perspective (oh look, another side profile of a human head - how cool!). So the departure to show an animal in motion grabs my attention and is pretty refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

A thank you to the lovely Sy Borg! We did some trading and he kindly sent along this 1909 VBD penny, which now has an extra special spot in the new type album.

That's one childhood goal completed! Try as I might I never found one in change back then, even though I did find normal 1909 cents a couple times.

Over the past few months I've gotten lucky with some eBay auctions at great prices. One of them was a substantially completed Whitman book of Lincoln cents from 1909 through 1940 that included the 1909 VDB. Since it is better to share than horde, I'm so glad it arrived safely.

Sy Borg fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 21, 2024