Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
Wow that's a lot of sovereigns!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
Ive been building a collection of Canadian circulation silver over the past two years, I have maybe 60 pieces of my goal of 323, maybe I'll take some pictures at some point, but I acquired something I absolutely love that isn't part of that and I'd like to share it.

An imperial German 5 mark. I love the size and weight, really satisfying to hold and show off

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/pBwLy

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
I actually meant 314 coins haha, and the specific number is because the goal of my collection is to have one coin in each denomination for every year they were made. 47 half dimes, 87 dimes, 1 20-cent, 84 quarters, 67 halves, and 28 dollars.

wrt to the Prussian gold, I know a lot of German gold and large silver coins were hoarded or melted, or exported to pay the huge war indemnity following WW1. So some of them are quite rare despite large mintages. The 5 mark I have here cost about twice what the silver is worth, but it's in pretty good condition with no signs of cleaning so I'm happy with the premium

That being said the Prussian 20 marks from the imperial period are probably your best bet, I've seen them sold pretty close to spot or at spot, cause they made a shitload of em

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
made a couple small additions to my new mark collection

A half mark

and a württemburg 3 mark

group shot with the 5 mark

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
My younger daughter just lost her first tooth and told me she hopes the tooth fairy brings her a coin like daddy's flipping coin instead of cash (I keep a 1901 German Imperial Funf Mark in my wallet I use for flipping on heads/tails decisions), and of course I was thrilled to oblige. Left her a Newfoundland half dollar which she was ecstatic to receive and has been practicing flipping it lol, but now I'm afraid I've put myself in a position where I have to give her old hefty silver coins every time she loses a tooth. Probably gonna head down to London Coin Center and pick up a bag of bulk halfs to leave for her (and maybe the older one too if she asks for them lol).

Shopping around for coins again for the first time in a while though and I've been thinking about buying more. I have a pretty large collection of Canadian circulation silver, but when I last stopped buying I had picked up a few Imperial marks because they caught my eye. Would love to buy a bunch more of the 1, 3 and 5 mark coins, anyone have a good source for those kinds of coins? Been looking on eBay which isn't great for fair deals, but would prefer some Euro auction site or something so I can buy in bulk, get a more reasonable price, and save on shipping.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Snowy posted:

I wanna see all of that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER