Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm thinking about getting some stamps. Not for investment but purely because I like the art. I've been thinking about it for years because the Irish postal system releases some cool stuff. Basically it's a way of getting little miniature art that isn't so gawky as postcards. Thing is I have no idea how to store them? What kind of binder you put them in?

The Irish post has sheets of four, eight, sometimes indivual stamps, and first day covers. Which do I go for and how do I even store them? Surely stamps from all the various places come in vastly different sizes, etc. so no standard way of storing is going to work.

This talks about "mounting strips" but do you actually stick stuff down? https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Products/18SBKL

Googling this turns up results about humidity, etc. on the most horrific websites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Might I suggest a nicely-bound stockbook. They have a lot of flexibility.

Also available are stock pages for a binder. They sell them with variously-sized strips or pockets for basically any item, even oversized ones for larger sheets.

For storage in a less-pretty way, stock cards and a box are good.

E: also, everyone thinks "I don't need tweezers" but just get tweezers (a post office these days will probably even sell you suitable ones) and get used to handling your stuff only with them.

Thanks! I threw some searches into Youtube and it came up with this, a pretty good (and long, as is right for nerds) video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXKqOlStP1o

Looking at the video you just slot the stamps in? Seems easy enough. And your advice about tweezers is noted.

I think I can pick up this basic stockbook for €13 and get some stamps from the An Post. Sound good! https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Products/18SBKL

Although even if I'm only getting newly issues stamps from official mail systems I guess this can get expensive, fast. Especially with shipping internationally (ironic) and the range of stuff available in a "€1.35 extra won't hurt" way.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
My first "proper" order of stamps came today. About twenty quids worth of commemorative stamps from An Post (The postal service in Ireland.) I ordered on the regular online store, and put a note in in the special instructions that I'd just started collecting stamps so came straight to them.

When they arrived they were shipped really well and on the cover was a mark indicating it had come from the Dublin GPO Philatelic Bureau. Inside were my new stamps in a little glassine envelope and the receipt, along with a little post-it on a plastic slip with a written note, "For your collection!" Inside the slip with the post-it were six, quite large An Post postcards for various stamp celebrations, as well as another glassine envelope with 12 free stamps in it.

I'm really pleased, it was really nice of them. When I put the note in the box on the order page I thought they might include some information about their collecting accounts and their quarterly you can sign up for, maybe a no longer valid stamp or two, certainly not twelve stamps and six postcards.

Two of the stamps I ordered were for the bicentennial of the RNLI (the lifeboats), a worldwide and national one. They're some of the "current" commemoratives so I should be able to pick them up in a local post office nearby. Over the weekend I was in a small village with an extremely busy and quite famous lifeboat station. I bought a few postcards in the main town nearby, featuring the town with the lifeboat station. When I pick up more lifeboat stamps I'm going to send them a postcard featuring that town, with a 'thank you' on the back, using the national lifeboat stamp.