Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Silly question time, is there a preferred banknote/currency album or do you all just use the loose BCW pages? I've run out of room in the fancy Whitman leatherette album I got and want one that can hold more notes anyways.

The collection is primarily US notes (I seem to attract star notes pretty well) and around those proportions though there are a few large outliers like deustchemarks from the interwar hyper inflation period. Nothing's graded; I'm just hoarding weird crap and want to keep it neat and contained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Nice, I was leaning towards them because one box of 100 sheets and a nice binder will keep me set forever. What touched this off was stumbling across a one dollar star note in my wallet today and realizing I got no space for it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Hello again coin thread. I've been slowly getting back into general coin collecting and heard about all the die chip errors on the 2021 US quarters and maybe I found one?

They're real tiny and include the pom pom looking ball on the back of Washington's hat, the extra bump below the rock above the T in quarter, and the little bump on the hair above the tie on the ponytail of Washington's bust. Assuming I'm not deluding myself and making a mountain out of a molehill, is it worth getting it graded or should I just stick it in a cardboard flip and call it a day? It seems like both the Tuskegee Airmen and Washington Crossing the Delaware quarters are rife with die errors, and the more impressive ones than these are the ones that have appreciable value anyways.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Dang yo, I wish i had somebody in my family that had the foresight to hoard silver coins. I've got a few things but keep them as part of the overall coin collection. Currently I'm waiting and hoping silver gets over 20 an ounce, so I feel better when selling a pile of spoons and old jewelry I'd like to get rid of.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Any forums numismatists still have this thread in their bookmarks? I've been considering getting back into coin collecting but can't decide in what direction to take my childhood collection in, other than to maybe do more than just half assedly check my change. I don't know whether to branch into ancients, or just stack peace dollars until the end of time or what.

Looking on the internet it looks like most people are just hunting coins with precious metal content these days, what are you guys collecting?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Weembles posted:

I did a collection of every circulating coin from my birth year and that was pretty fun. I'm also in the process of piecing together a collection of coins minted by the major players of WWI in 1914 and ancient mediterranian coins depecting figures wearing mural crowns.

I think it's easier to stay interested in a collection when it has a clear focus.

Some good ideas, though I think I may take a break from world currency, I have an entire 3 inch binder of it! Sadly I didn't learn until recently that the best collections have quality over quantity, so the collection on the whole is all over the place. Though I can't complain too much, I have much more American old silver coins than I thought (thanks grandpa and great uncle). Maybe I should continue on the silver bent? Or focus on quarters for a bit, it's seems the only thing left I can still find in my change. I can't remember the last time I saw a wheat penny in the wild even, but that could just be confirmation bias.

As penance for my rambling have a countermarked seated liberty dime:

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 6, 2023

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Activity! I'll be sure to check out those coin pics on desktop later, they sound cool! For the moment I've decided to work on filling out the rest of my coin books and have subsequently raided the change of everybody I know and filled in a good amount from the time I slacked off in the 2010s.

Which brings me to another dumb question; what is up with all the tiny but numerous errors from the mint lately? A couple years ago I did find some tiny die chips on Washington Crossing the Delaware quarters, and in the recent search found an Alaska quarter with similar tiny die chips. But what really makes me wonder is the so called VDB V error on the 2023-P pennies. I did find one of those too (although the penny is already circulated enough to begin tarnishing) but I'm questioning its significance as an error and its rarity as there seems to be loads of them on ebay.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Yeah, nostalgia suckered me into the pokemania of 2021 and even I noticed a drop in quality of the tcg cards; it was all any one bitched about online. So I can believe QC standards slipping at Philadelphia but the VDB V one is giving me pause, because nobody seems to be able to explain how an extra incuse V got on the bottom of Lincoln's bust in line with the other initials. That and the only internet sources I can find are on forum posts and coin roll hunt youtubers. Maybe I'm just annoyed that I found one of these, yet no goddamn W quarter since I heard about those a couple of years ago.

Edit: Here's the best pics I could get of it with a not idea set up.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 18, 2023

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

meat police posted:

Kind of surprised gold hasn't long since gone past 2k to be honest.

Are both gold and silver still down slightly in price? I haven't looked recently. Still deciding on where to take my collection since I'm running out of easy to acquire in circulation poo poo. Coin roll hunts are still fun though.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I finally looked and google says 22.82 for silver and 1887.90 for gold. Probably just the summer doldrums if I had to put forth a serious guess. Figures poo poo would be down when I got scrap sterling I want to dump.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

imperiusdamian posted:

Started pulling out my old coin collection recently for the first time in years. Lots and lots of British pre-decimal stuff. Mostly in not very good condition and lots of duplicates, but a goodly amount of decent pieces, many that I've had for something over 35 years.

Nice! Glad I'm not the only one who kept their childhood collection. Decided to make the effort to finish it and a couple of months ago I finally finished all the state quarters in both mint marks. Only took me 24 years to get 100 coins from circulation only. The national parks are going well but the US territories series will be the death of me: 2009 was a low mintage year across the board. I'm missing one 2009 dime from my dime books, otherwise I have a complete run from 1965 to 2023.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

imperiusdamian posted:

That's really neat! I thought for many years that I had a silver penny from pre-Norman England... turned out it was a badly corroded Nuremberg jeton from the 16th century! Still an interesting item though.

Nice! I do get jealous of England and other places with a longer history of coinage: a lot more cool old stuff to go after! Especially on the metal detecting front plus it seems like people are always turning up random medieval and Roman coins digging in their garden. I still want to try it here but wouldn't hold my breath for anything older than the 19th century.

poo poo, I should see if I even have any 18th century coins since years ago I inherited a couple small collections and just filed them away in mine without researching or thinking since it was before my break from the hobby. I looked up the bigger things like Morgan dollars, but they were all common dates so I didn't pursue it further.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Those are some drat fine banknotes! I personally have been ignoring that part of my collection beyond having put it in a better storage binder situation, so it's always nice to see them in other people's collections.

Trust me you don't want to see mine: a bank note collection that's mostly a stack of US star notes outside of some old rear end world currency in bad shape.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Necroing the thread again to ask if anyone uses Numista on the regular? I'm debating whether it's worth it to catalog my entire collection, or to try the swap feature. Problem is I have mostly worthless coins to swap, like approximately a million dead Mexican pesos idk what to do with honestly.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Thanks for the advice, it's laid bare that I still need a goal for this collection before undertaking the massive task of entering all the coins into a database and potentially trading. I've whined about a lack of collecting direction before in this thread before, so I'll avoid doing that again as it's totally a me problem.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Yeah idk what to do about the problematic poo poo in my collection either, I've got two 10 pfenning coins from that era with the imagery that quietly sit in the binder with the rest of the German coins. Child me thought they were rare historical artifacts from the bad guys of WWII and that Nazis would never come back again. I was deeply, deeply wrong and naive too.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I hope not either, though a coin discord dashed my faith in humanity this morning with someone asking whether they should buy a fake nazi coin. Not suprised that such garbage exists but man is it ever disappointing to see. At least a few people there while telling the dude it's a fake lamented about what the world is coming to.

In happier and better news, I'm quasi considering focusing on world silver as a collection goal. Lots of pretty coins there.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Ha, your collection sounds a bit like my collection. Mom started me on Whitman coin books as a child and then because I was into coins I later inherited both my grandfather's and great uncle's accumulations. The sentimentality there makes it difficult to cut duplicates and really shape the collection into a collection vs a hoard though. I suspect the stuff from my grandfather was more a tiny silver stack than a collection, because of the multiple same date barber dimes and I think he was the one with the morgans? I should post more pics, but my collection is pretty average stuff and average grades too.

How far along are you on the quarters? It took me until last year to finally finish the state quarters pulling them from circulation. Now I have the hell of trying to get the 2009 territories and the harder to get america the beautiful ones. Yeah I could just ebay them, but I've come this far and it seems silly to give up now. Also much to my chagrin I have yet to find a goddamn w quarter in circulation, it's pissing me off, especially when coin roll hunters post that they got like 3 in a box or some poo poo.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Sy Borg posted:

My collection of State Quarters is complete, but for some unknown reason my coin folder doesn't distinguish between Philadelphia and Denver mint marks. That is odd because I have the same Littleton folders for other Washington Quarters (1948 to 1998, 2009, and American The Beautiful) which do have separate slots for P & D. Which states are you missing? After I sort my current batch of quarters, I may have some duplicates. PM me your list and I can send you some if they pop up.

As for the 2009 quarters, I'm missing District of Columbia for Philadelphia while Denver is still pretty empty (Guam, USVI, America Samoa, and Northern Mariana Islands).

Oh crap are we both on the east coast? Because it is also the D mint marks that are the death of me. My states are complete, but I too am missing 2009 Denver Guam, USVI, and Northern Mariana Islands. From there it's the weird state parks and stuff, I can still pm you the list if you'd like.

Edit: gently caress I thought I saw a District of Columbia P recently but I may have spent it, dammit.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 12, 2024

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Sy Borg posted:

Yep, we share this fine coast! I picked up an extended State Quarter folder last night. When I transferred my collection from the old to new folder, every single coin had a Philadelphia mint mark.

Feel free to PM me your list. My state parks are lacking Denver sorely.

Pm sent! And yeah, that's strange that the one folder didn't have the other mint mark. I wound up having to transfer my state quarters into another album years ago because the acid in the cardboard of the old one started puting an ugly yellowish brown tone on the edge of the coins. I wound up with the deluxe Whitman folder for mine; the only thing annoying is it's larger than all my regular Whitman stuff. I guess that's what deluxe gets you?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Sy Borg posted:

I've got the exact same folder and it is obnoxiously large, but lucky for me it also has slots for the 2009 quarters so I was able to consolidate better. The previous holder only had enough slots for the 2009 quarters for both mints - a truly dumb design.

I'll take a look at your PM and let you know!

I know that feeling. I know why my American Women folder has "Honoree 1 2023 -P" and so forth listed after the first year but it does irk me. Maybe I'll get a new one after the program is done. At least they were smart and stuck the outlier of 2021 in the top of it.

Also forgot to mention in my long winded PM that getting rolls from the bank really helped with playing catch up on quarters, it's just now I'm to the point where not even that helps. And it sucked the one time I wound up with 50 bucks worth of bicentennial quarters, but you kinda just have to laugh about that one.

Moving on, does anyone collect modern US dollars? I'm considering axing them as I just don't encounter them in circulation and would have to go out of my way for them. Plus, I am not a fan of the portraits in the presidential series.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oooo you lucky duck! One day I'll find a W quarter. One day. I got lucky last year and was able to go through a friend of a friends box of some $300 in mixed change but still no W quarters, and barely anything with a 2009 date. I did find one silver quarter, but I let him keep it as thanks for letting me go through the box and keep about $1.50 worth of National Park quarters I needed.

And oops guess the DC quarter will be a dupe, I'm not taking the package apart now. But I did slip an extra kinda bad condition last minute one in there and something dumb as a bonus.

edit: Forgot to add my congratulations around my sarcasm whoops! Congratulations! The only people I truly get jealous about W quarters with is coin roll hunter youtubers finding multiple in a $250 box. My luck is never that good for anything.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 29, 2024

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Double post because why the gently caress not.

So far so good on collecting world silver. I just happened to like the eagle on this one and his great fuzzy feather legs. :3:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Neat! The last weird thing I got in change was actually a 1992 10p coin instead of a quarter from Burger King. Already had one in better condition in the collection so I stuck it on my work tool box.

Wish I could help you with predecimal British coins but all the duplicates I pulled out of the binder are definitely post 1970s.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 31, 2024

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

imperiusdamian posted:

Oh nice! I haven't found British coins in my change here, but I have run across a number of Canadian ones and I did one day at work get a bunch of Eisenhower dollars from a customer. I made sure to have a few bucks handy to swap for those!

I'm close enough to the border that canadian change is a welcome nonevent, though I haven't gotten any in years, probably because I use a credit card more often these days. Ike dollars are a neat suprise though! Were they clad or did some one bust some 40% ones out of a mint set?

If anyone cares I'm still pulling out duplicate poo poo from my childhood collection of any and every coin that was thrown my way. The experience has taught me how much heavily damaged crap I have and what coins I enjoy having and looking at the most. And its helping me decide on future goals for it.

I think for old US coins I will go for a type set of sorts, but do it my own way and not just be filling in a Dansco 7070 album. I looked at some of the pages this album has and was suprised that they made it a 1909 vdb s penny specifically for the wheat penny spot. I also don't particularly want to go for all 4 large cent variations at this time and as much as I'd love a 20 cent coin my budget doesnt extend that far yet. So I think I'll save my $45 and put it towards a flying eagle cent or something to start instead.

Edit for clarity, as I'm rambling on out loud as to how my coins can be a good collection versus just a hoard of stuff.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 3, 2024

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Welp I was certainly barking up the wrong tree trying to ID null_pointer's coin. Couldn't think of any other left facing portraits with close cropped hair other than King George VI and that clearly wasn't it.

imperiusdamian posted:

As for the Ike dollars, I don't know enough about US issues to answer definitively. All except one of the six are in extremely good condition with just a few nicks and scuffs and still some mint lustre; I'd categorise them as GEF (XF-45 to AU-50 on the US scale). Varying dates; three 1974s, a 1977, a 1978 and a 1972 (the 1978 is the only one that looks like it's had more than a brief circulation), so it's entirely possible they came out of somebody's mint sets. If so that's a shame that someone was that broke as to bust coins out of a mint set just to spend.

It happens all the time unfortunately that people break mint sets or raid grandpa's collections to spend. Now for the quick and dirty trivia about Ike dollars. My asking about 40% was me being curious if you'd lucked into coins with 40% silver content. The fastest way to tell this is to look at the edge of the coin. If it's silver it has the silver content, if the edge is copper colored then it's a cupro-nickel or clad coin. All silver Ikes to my knowledge were made for collector sets, though it is possible for a clad coin to also have been made for a mint set. Usually an S mint mark on modern US currency is an indicator of this, as San Francisco is where most proof sets and the like are minted.

Sy Borg posted:

Unrelated, my goals of becoming a cool uncle have been cemented. A few weeks ago, my brother mentioned that his kids have set aside some state quarters, and, after asking my sister if her kids were interested in state quarters, I ordered two sets of 2024 Red Books, and quarter folders for the State Quarter, America the Beautiful, and America Women series. I hope this can foster a fourth generation of interest in coin collecting.

God I wish I knew kids with an interest in coins so I could set them up with some of my duplicates but alas, my boyfriend's nephews aren't interested. Happily one is into rocks, so I was able to surprise him with stuff I no longer wanted from that collection at least. I thought about doing the weird thing of offering a basket of world coins along with candy to trick or treating kids, but I get none at my house on Halloween so that idea is out.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

imperiusdamian posted:

Okay they do have the copper coloured edge so they're not 40%. Two of the 1974s and the 1972 have a little 'D' mark between the bust of Ike and the date; I'm assuming that's for Denver mint? The others don't have a mintmark.

D is indeed Denver and blank is for Philadelphia. Sound likes you still got some nice condition clad Ikes, and it's super awesome you got them from circulation! I still wonder if someone set them aside in the 70s and just now realized they're not worth much more than face. Still neat since I've only ever seen Ikes in the wild once at a flea market.

The American public's resistance to dollar coins is incredible, were you around for the Sacagawea dollar hype of 2000? They tried so so hard to make dollar coins a thing then.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

imperiusdamian posted:

I wasn't, I didn't move to the US until 2008 (married an American). It seems weird; the UK went in the opposite direction. They switched from 1-pound notes to pound coins in the early 80s and introduced 2-pound coins in the late 90s. Coins last longer so you just don't need to make as many.

Such logic was tried (it's saving you the taxpayer money because coins last longer!) And still failed to stick. I don't know if it's because the previous Susan B. Anthony dollars poisoned the well that badly because that one gets so easily mixed up with a quarter if you're not looking. I almost did it myself when I put my extra dollar coins in my wallet to spend.

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I inherited my father's collection about a year and a half ago. It's probably worth $2-4k altogether (I haven't looked it up and broken it down, but a lot of American Eagles). I think I'd rather have that money in an index fund. Where's the best place to sell?

I have no idea on this, and this could be bad advice so take with a lot of salt, but I'd look for a reputable coin shop or dealer to sell to and go in after research with some idea of the worth. Granted a dealer has to make his profit as well so you wouldn't get top dollar, but you wouldn't have to dick around selling each thing individually on ebay or lose money in fees at an auction house. It appears that the specific coin selling sites I know of may not be of help because at a quick glance MA Shops requires you to be a licensed business with 25k of inventory to sell on there, and V Coins requires a fee, unsure if they also expect you to be a business.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I cracked open my Red Book, which is a source known for being optimistic with retail prices and it says a type I heraldic eagle 2021 ASE in MS grade (the lowest listed) should be sold at $50 in a shop. Also the paragraph before says the book's prices were based on a spot price of 22.50 at the time of writing. Most of the base prices for ASEs given hover around that $45 to 50 mark except for the earlier key dates jump up in price, as well some with some sort of fancy burnished finish applied, and of course your graded proof examples also carry a big price tag.

No idea if this helps or confuses the matter, but people love them some American Silver Eagles. They probably just barely edge out the Morgan Dollar for most loved US large silver coin.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I have shamefully cruised through the silver stacking subs of reddit and as far as I know the justifications for ASEs are liking the design, readily available to a primarily American audience that posts, and some weird belief that in a SHTF scenario that it'll be easier to trade in American govermental issued coins because they're so widely recognized although this is more an excuse for stacking junk silver.

I suppose I can't put down bullion stackers too much. I've seen it said that they've saved the hobby of numismatics to some degree. Many stackers start taking an interest in historical silver coins after the bullion gets boring and they begin to wonder what else is out there in precious metals.

But yeah ASEs are uninteresting. I don't get the attraction to them or the Mexican Libertads, another popular choice. I am a little partial to Maple Leafs, but that's probably because I am redoing my Canadian portion of the collection right now. I just ordered fresh coin folders for most of it. So excited to have sore thumbs next week!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
At an extremely quick glance that blog post seems to jive with the red book, or at least isn't totally out of line. Another place to look is on the greysheet, the guide book for dealers as to what they should be buying coins at for their shops.

But unless your fathers sprung for fancier sets with silver coins (or you wound up with weird no S errors) it isn't looking good. I've heard that a basic modern clad proof set is generally about $10 bucks retail, give or take.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

csammis posted:

Yeah no mine are definitely basic sets. I just want them out of my basement.

Well the only advice I've got is the same I gave someone else up thread. The fast way to get rid of them for some money would be to find a local coin dealer and see if they'll buy them. Next would be to just ebay them, perhaps in groups of a few years? After these options I've only got the desperation moves of facebook marketplace and similar sites, pawn shops which won't give you a good deal and might not want them because of no precious metal content, and the ultimate final inadvisable and not recommended rock bottom move to just break the set and spend it at face value.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

DarkSol posted:

Are the links that you've posted previously applicable for banknotes as well?

As a completely different tangent... I'm starting to end up with a rather sizable set of duplicate notes that I don't really want or have a need for.

I can post some pictures if anyone would be interested in possibly wanting them.

I don't know of any reason why Greysheet wouldn't be a valid source for wholesale values of both US currency and world banknotes as there's sections for both. Outside of that, Numista may or may not be helpful, though I've found many a coin that has no price data at all and have not delved into their banknote database. And of course sold ebay listings, but that can be too much like work.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Meaty Ore posted:

Looks like most of ours are the silver proof sets, though a few of the earlier ones are the regular type. At least we don't have lots of them sitting around, just enough that we'll be able to get back some shelf space, an even more valuable commodity than silver.

It is only recently I've learned the value of space and begun reclaiming it myself. Post organizing my coin collection still takes up the same shelf foot print it always has but at least theres room in the binders now for new stuff?

To that end I finally decided what direction to take my world coins! It'll be type sets with plants/flowers as the first subject with animals and landscapes tied for the second subject. It also means I have a whole box of duplicates to get rid of so if anyone is looking for common world coins in circulated condition let me know. It will be a while before I can take my own advice and see if the local shop will buy bulk.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Grand Fromage posted:

Check actual coin/bullion stores if there's one near you. My local one buys silver for 100% spot price and gold for 97%.

I still have crap from my dad to get rid of. Some of it I should get graded/regraded, but USPS lost a package of coins even though I sent it registered and refused to pay out on the insurance so I've just been sitting on it.

Yeah that's why even though my googling turned up a mention that the big bullion companies like JM Bullion, Apmex etc have buy back programs, that's an awfully expensive thing to trust to USPS even with insurance. Plus you have to pay to ship and wait for the cash back. I'd be calling dealers and maybe pawn shops if I had to, and see how close to spot I can get.

Sucks that you have to sell, Target Practice.

Edit: Speaking of gold bullion what is the hot pattern these days? Most of the posting I saw was lusting over St. Gaudens and maybe the Maple Leaf. Has the Krugerrands popularity finally declined as the go to for gold stacking?

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 22, 2024

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Grumio posted:

Yeah, if you had to introduce them to a collecting hobby, coins are a good choice. Philately will get you nowhere

Yeah, I get the feeling that stamp collectors are raging against the dying of the light. Which sucks but unfortunately it is the way it is since our relationship to letter mail has changed so drastically in the past couple decades. I still reflexively save stamps off of envelopes as it is an ingrained habit from childhood, but I kinda wish I wasn't saddled with my tragically deceased grandfather's huge collection. The sentimentality there means it can't be got rid of, and what value it had is rapidly eroding away.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Picayune posted:

Holy crap, a Showbiz Pizza token. I would love to know where that guy got that, because Showbiz Pizza got its lunch eaten by its identical rival Chuck E. Cheese in the early nineties and vanished without a trace. Until now.

My theory is some G.I.'s kid brought it with him. Didn't we used to have an army base or two to keep an eye on the commies over the Berlin Wall back then? I'm just young enough to have missed the Cold War.

The phone token and the one on the far right is kinda neat, I've never gotten ones with the deeply recessed line through them here.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

super nailgun posted:

I collect arcade and pinball machines so I branched out into tokens too... Finding the genuine 80s stuff is always cool. It's a shame big mixed lots on eBay are usually 95% car wash and casino tokens. I did pick up an actually solid mixed lot a couple years ago though, found lots of old CEC and Showbiz ones, but also a few Major Magic and Aladdin's Castle, along with a bunch of other local/regional arcades.

That's cool that you have a reason to collect tokens! I went the other way and only kept the ones that went to arcades and places that I've been or are local. You're right that token lots are pretty meh on ebay too. Closest I came to buying one recently was a single Discovery Zone token, but I realized I don't remember the arcade part that much because as a kid I spent all my time in the ball pit/giant indoor jungle gym. Can't decide if I want the little nostalgia reminder or not.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I try and stay away from speculating on why the prices of silver and gold are the way they are: mostly because a lot of woo types have been screaming about silver being artificially suppressed for years. It makes it very hard to figure out the legitimate points for that argument versus the stackers that want to get rich should silver go up to $50 or even $100 an ounce. Anyways I finally have mildly interesting thread content as I've finally checked out the local coin shop!

First I finally got me a flying eagle cent! And yes I only have a VG budget for this coin, and chose this grubbier looking one with the rim dent over the others because there was still detail in the tail feathers.

And I got this random 1933 Moroccan 20 franc coin because I'm a sucker for pretty geometry and had been previously been eyeing up the 1 franc denomination on ebay but didn't buy it. I could argue that the center design is kinda flower like, and therefore counts in my self imposed rules for world currency collecting.

Finally I broke down and got ye old Dansco 7070 US type set album. I hadn't planned on getting one yet, but it was a pretty decent deal despite being used and came with a few of the low value modern coins in it. I've since loaded in everything I've got and slapped up some lousy pics in imgur here. Half my coins look like rear end, but part of the fun is upgrading in addition to filling it in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Armacham posted:

Laws against graven images have one weird upside

True dat. And thanks to my weakness for geometric art I love a lot of Islamic art like that coin. My geometric form thing extends to Art Deco poo poo as well since one day I will probably buy one of these 1935 "rocking horse" crowns.

Because if I'm gonna finally own a British coin with St. George and the dragon on it, I might as well make it a weird one!

Sy Borg posted:

Flying Eagle cents are a personal favorite of mine, partially due to the fact they were minted for only three years. However, the biggest appeal for me is that it has a bird on the observe. American coins can be pretty boring from a design perspective (oh look, another side profile of a human head - how cool!). So the departure to show an animal in motion grabs my attention and is pretty refreshing.

As I delve further into US coin history I can see why the more curmudgeonly collectors bitch about having the same dead presidents all the time. On the other hand these are the same grumps that want Lady Liberty back on the coins and nothing else. For modern coins I do tend to like the reverses more, particularly the National Parks series in quarters and the shield reverse on pennies. Somewhere I read or heard somebody making GBS threads on the modern shield design which is weird to me as I loved it when it first came out and prefer it to the old static drawing of the Lincoln Memorial. Hell, I like the original proposal better for the Jefferson nickel as well instead of the straight on view of Monticello we got there.

The corner shot is at least dynamic. Again that Art Deco text ain't bad either, lol, but probably really would have dated the design.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 19, 2024