Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
That's pretty bitchin. All Peace and Morgan?

Jimmy James posted:

Do not sell bullion on ebay if you can find other outlets.Their fees are just too high. I regularly sell bullion on Reddit for above spot price. Precious metals are hot right now. I sell there and on ebay regularly if you have questions.

Do you just list them in r/Coins4Sale?

Also I'm making an app to list coins on eBay with two photos. You snap two photos, type, year, mint, grade, etc all performed automatically.

Anyone wanna test it? It's a hobby so figure another month or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm also interested in a followup here, I should bookmark this thread. I have a bunch of silver that's just worth melt value (plus a bunch of modern American Eagles which I assume are also just silver value? I haven't looked into them yet) and some gold, including a literal fuckin gold bar that's going to take a nice big hunk out of my student loans.

Wanna use my coin photo app to get the prices? They'll be kinda rough but I'm building the pricing part of the app this weekend (hopefully)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Grand Fromage posted:

A plea to anyone in this thread who has kids: please organize your collections. I'm not complaining about randomly finding treasure in my dad's poo poo, but the fact that it's just scattered everywhere means I have to dig through literally every single box of garbage he hoarded over his entire life, because one out of a hundred has something valuable in it for no apparent reason. It sucks.

My grandma died a few months ago. She had boxes and boxes and boxes in her house. Not full on hoarder gross or anything...just a ton of mostly junk stuff. We found jewelry hidden in shoes in her closet. Accounts from the 1980s from banks that have been acquired 4 times since then. A bag of coins in a broken suit case. (Nothing worth posting, mostly pocket change.) All in all about $100K of surprise money I doubt she knew she had along with thousands of photos that havent seen the light of day in 20 years.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

meat police posted:

In the late 1800’s the U.S. created a special silver-backed commercial dollar to compete with other silver-backed currency during their trade with East Asia. Around 36 million Trade Dollars were minted for circulation from July, 1873 until April, 1878–it represents one of the U.S.’ shortest lived numismatic series.

420 grains .. nice

Nice I’ve always wanted a trade dollar. Also had no idea the importance of the silver dollar to trade with Asia. Wiki has a lot more on this too

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

So I know very little about coins and have no interest in putting any real money into this, but I'm fascinated by history and by the emperor Elagabalus in particular, and I've seen a lot of listings for his coins on Ebay for surprisingly cheap. How likely is the copper coin Roman coin I buy on Ebay for $20 to be genuine?
Coins that are $20 are not worth counterfeiting I wouldn’t think. Buy coins graded by reputable companies like PCGS or NGC (the kind in plastic containers) if you’re worried about it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

meat police posted:

Kind of surprised gold hasn't long since gone past 2k to be honest.

Crypto killed the krugerrand?

Prob not but I cant pass up a numismatic alliteration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Turbinosamente posted:

Anybody get any cool coins lately? I took advantage of the high price of silver and dumped my duplicates for this nice old quarter:

My first capped liberty bust anything! Might make another comb through for any other coins to deaccession for more US type set stuff, but otherwise the slimming down of my collection is going fairly well still.

That’s really nice! I’ve always thought those were nice but out of my price range when I was collecting as a kid.