Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021
Started pulling out my old coin collection recently for the first time in years. Lots and lots of British pre-decimal stuff. Mostly in not very good condition and lots of duplicates, but a goodly amount of decent pieces, many that I've had for something over 35 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Turbinosamente posted:

Nice! Glad I'm not the only one who kept their childhood collection. Decided to make the effort to finish it and a couple of months ago I finally finished all the state quarters in both mint marks. Only took me 24 years to get 100 coins from circulation only. The national parks are going well but the US territories series will be the death of me: 2009 was a low mintage year across the board. I'm missing one 2009 dime from my dime books, otherwise I have a complete run from 1965 to 2023.

That's really neat! I thought for many years that I had a silver penny from pre-Norman England... turned out it was a badly corroded Nuremberg jeton from the 16th century! Still an interesting item though.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021
Wonder if anyone would want to buy the dozens of badly worn Victorian pennies I have duplicates of. :P

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Turbinosamente posted:

Yeah idk what to do about the problematic poo poo in my collection either, I've got two 10 pfenning coins from that era with the imagery that quietly sit in the binder with the rest of the German coins. Child me thought they were rare historical artifacts from the bad guys of WWII and that Nazis would never come back again. I was deeply, deeply wrong and naive too.

To be fair, those coins ARE historical artifacts. I sincerely hope we never see a time when Nazis get their imagery on coins again, and that those coins remain historical.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021
Found a few random wheat pennies in my change at work this last week. 1940, 1948 and 1952. Circulated so I doubt they're worth anything but it was neat to turn up something that old in random change.

I've started buying British coins off eBay 'cause there really isn't anywhere to easily get them in the States (moved here from the UK where I was an avid collector of pre-decimal English coins). The first one I ordered arrived yesterday, a 1912 'H' mintmark George V penny. Only about Fine condition (that's about 12-15 on the NGC scale) but it was only $4 so that was a steal!

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Turbinosamente posted:

Neat! The last weird thing I got in change was actually a 1992 10p coin instead of a quarter from Burger King. Already had one in better condition in the collection so I stuck it on my work tool box.

Wish I could help you with predecimal British coins but all the duplicates I pulled out of the binder are definitely post 1970s.

Oh nice! I haven't found British coins in my change here, but I have run across a number of Canadian ones and I did one day at work get a bunch of Eisenhower dollars from a customer. I made sure to have a few bucks handy to swap for those!

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm close enough to the border that canadian change is a welcome nonevent, though I haven't gotten any in years, probably because I use a credit card more often these days. Ike dollars are a neat suprise though! Were they clad or did some one bust some 40% ones out of a mint set?

If anyone cares I'm still pulling out duplicate poo poo from my childhood collection of any and every coin that was thrown my way. The experience has taught me how much heavily damaged crap I have and what coins I enjoy having and looking at the most. And its helping me decide on future goals for it.

I think for old US coins I will go for a type set of sorts, but do it my own way and not just be filling in a Dansco 7070 album. I looked at some of the pages this album has and was suprised that they made it a 1909 vdb s penny specifically for the wheat penny spot. I also don't particularly want to go for all 4 large cent variations at this time and as much as I'd love a 20 cent coin my budget doesnt extend that far yet. So I think I'll save my $45 and put it towards a flying eagle cent or something to start instead.

Edit for clarity, as I'm rambling on out loud as to how my coins can be a good collection versus just a hoard of stuff.

Mine is a hoard of stuff with the exception of a few pieces that have specific reasons for being there, and I own it.

As for the Ike dollars, I don't know enough about US issues to answer definitively. All except one of the six are in extremely good condition with just a few nicks and scuffs and still some mint lustre; I'd categorise them as GEF (XF-45 to AU-50 on the US scale). Varying dates; three 1974s, a 1977, a 1978 and a 1972 (the 1978 is the only one that looks like it's had more than a brief circulation), so it's entirely possible they came out of somebody's mint sets. If so that's a shame that someone was that broke as to bust coins out of a mint set just to spend.

I bought a 1797 penny and twopence, 1875 farthing, and some 1910s pennies with Heaton and Kings' Norton mintmarks off eBay. The farthing arrived today. Pretty piece, probably about VF-30 which is a good grade for Victorian bronze.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Turbinosamente posted:

Welp I was certainly barking up the wrong tree trying to ID null_pointer's coin. Couldn't think of any other left facing portraits with close cropped hair other than King George VI and that clearly wasn't it.

It happens all the time unfortunately that people break mint sets or raid grandpa's collections to spend. Now for the quick and dirty trivia about Ike dollars. My asking about 40% was me being curious if you'd lucked into coins with 40% silver content. The fastest way to tell this is to look at the edge of the coin. If it's silver it has the silver content, if the edge is copper colored then it's a cupro-nickel or clad coin. All silver Ikes to my knowledge were made for collector sets, though it is possible for a clad coin to also have been made for a mint set. Usually an S mint mark on modern US currency is an indicator of this, as San Francisco is where most proof sets and the like are minted.

Okay they do have the copper coloured edge so they're not 40%. Two of the 1974s and the 1972 have a little 'D' mark between the bust of Ike and the date; I'm assuming that's for Denver mint? The others don't have a mintmark.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Turbinosamente posted:

D is indeed Denver and blank is for Philadelphia. Sound likes you still got some nice condition clad Ikes, and it's super awesome you got them from circulation! I still wonder if someone set them aside in the 70s and just now realized they're not worth much more than face. Still neat since I've only ever seen Ikes in the wild once at a flea market.

The American public's resistance to dollar coins is incredible, were you around for the Sacagawea dollar hype of 2000? They tried so so hard to make dollar coins a thing then.

I wasn't, I didn't move to the US until 2008 (married an American). It seems weird; the UK went in the opposite direction. They switched from 1-pound notes to pound coins in the early 80s and introduced 2-pound coins in the late 90s. Coins last longer so you just don't need to make as many.

*edit* this is a pic of the six of them. The 1978 is in the poorest condition.

*edit 2* for some reason the image is not showing. Oh well. I'll leave it up in case it works later!

imperiusdamian fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 5, 2024

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021
Ordered a 1797 Cartwheel twopence from ebay a couple weeks back; it arrived today. I've been wanting to add one of these to my collection for nearly 40 years. It's a thing of beauty!

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Sy Borg posted:

Over the past few months I've gotten lucky with some eBay auctions at great prices. One of them was a substantially completed Whitman book of Lincoln cents from 1909 through 1940 that included the 1909 VDB. Since it is better to share than horde, I'm so glad it arrived safely.

I've had some pretty epic luck with eBay myself of late. Just snagged four Edward I silver pennies (judging by the die varieties they vary from 1280 to 1305 datewise) for less than 90 bucks. Got an 1887 farthing, GVF, for 5 bucks, and a trio of George V farthings (1912 GF, 1930 GEF, 1931 EF) for $15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

super nailgun posted:

Nice! I love the Ike dollars, they're so comically huge.

You should see the 1797 Cartwheel twopence from Britain. Now THAT is huge.