Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Wifi Toilet posted:

Do any hybrid type coin albums exist where they use the 2x2 cardboard holders (or some other kind of secure pockets) but also have designated type labels? I guess I could just look at album pages online and write the coin types on slips of paper to slip in the bottom of the pockets, but :effort:

You could buy a US coinage guide like this or use a site like Numista to figure out what you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Any forums numismatists still have this thread in their bookmarks? I've been considering getting back into coin collecting but can't decide in what direction to take my childhood collection in, other than to maybe do more than just half assedly check my change. I don't know whether to branch into ancients, or just stack peace dollars until the end of time or what.

Looking on the internet it looks like most people are just hunting coins with precious metal content these days, what are you guys collecting?

I did a collection of every circulating coin from my birth year and that was pretty fun. I'm also in the process of piecing together a collection of coins minted by the major players of WWI in 1914 and ancient mediterranian coins depecting figures wearing mural crowns.

I think it's easier to stay interested in a collection when it has a clear focus.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

DarkSol posted:

Oh hey, thread!

I've been collecting banknotes for a few years now, but just found this thread today!

I just recently got some new notes in the mail.

Would anyone be interested in some pictures?

Yes.

:justpost:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Necroing the thread again to ask if anyone uses Numista on the regular? I'm debating whether it's worth it to catalog my entire collection, or to try the swap feature. Problem is I have mostly worthless coins to swap, like approximately a million dead Mexican pesos idk what to do with honestly.

I use it to catalog my modern coins. I was putting together a collection of world coins for a specific year and it was a lot easier to use numista for that than it was sorting through the red book and making a spreadsheet. It's a great tool if you're tryin to get a handle on what you have and wha you need.

I've never tried the swap feature, though.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

My only contact with WWII german coin collecting was listening to an old guy and a coin dealer haggling over stuff at a coin show a few years back. They talked about this and that and when they got to the german coins the dealer just said, "Oh no, I never haggle over those. I can always take that box to a gun show and sell them all at full price."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I've always been kind of curious about getting into stamps. It seems like such a nerdy but chill hobby to get into.

A few years ago, I was buying a lot cheap modern coins off of ebay to fill in a collection. None one but three different sellers paid the postage for the packages by covering the entire box or envelope with old stamps.

Getting rid of spares that way felt to me like a nice change of pace from the more hoarding focused hobbies.