Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Anyone want this circulated 2009 $10 star note before I toss it on eBay?

I'll give you :10bux: for it.

Seriously, though, are collectors that hardcore that you can expect to not lose money on it after ebay fees and buying a stamp?

Actually, don't answer that, I still have some tiny amount of faith in humanity.

For the laymen reading this: a star after the serial number means the Fed reused the number to replace a bill that failed QC. It adds about as much to the value as the star on a Tootsie Pop wrapper.

Edit: back when I was a cashier at a grocery store, I'd trade my pocket change for the occasional pre-1964 quarter or dime, and once I got a 1957 silver certificate paper dollar. Pretty sure my VG '57 folding silver dollar is worth more than your well-worn '09 "let's try this again" $10 note.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Neat. It looks like new, but with a wallet crease, so I guess maybe $2.00. So not worth more than Super Aggro Crag's $10 bill, but probably better as a percentage over face value.

Or are * notes super-collectible, and I've been throwing money away spending them over the years?

So as not to be a total jerk, I promise next time I'm at my parent's house, I'll get my dad to bring out his collection so I can photograph it for y'all. A bunch of investment-type silver ounces from back when silver was going up in the early '80s, and a bunch of random weird stuff like silver certificate Federal Reserve notes and various foreign money he's collected over the years.

Speaking of foreign money, are any of you into old British coins? I need a shilling with George V on it to go with my 1915 Webley and 1916 SMLE, but I don't want to get suckered buying an obsolete British nickel on eBay*.

*at the time a shilling was about equal in value to an American quarter, but in dimensions and 1/20th proportion of the main unit, it was closer to a nickel.