Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
In what I can only describe as a spiritual awakening, I think I like this poo poo. It started a month or 2 ago trying to catalog my grandma's collection and it was actually really fun researching and using the coin flips and stuff. So then I asked offhand if she had anymore, and my father in law said "hold on" and came back with 2 small chests full of coins!

I've got one of those HobbyMaster binders full now and probably have several hundred ( if not thousand ) coins to go through here.

So I guess I'm looking for some "idle curiousity turned actual hobby" advice:

-What do you guys use to keep track? I was using an excel sheet but then I realized I spent most of my time on numista.com researching and if you register there you can keep track of your collection ( and even export it to excel if you want ). I thought maybe some sort of software might be worth using but none of them seem to actually stay current, with numista it'll actually show you stuff like silver values based on your local currency etc and a nice graph/map of your collection. It's pretty no frills ( looks like it was made in the 90s and never updated ) but at least I don't feel like I'm doubling up on my work you know?

-What do you store your collections in? I've been using those HobbyMaster Coin Collection "starter kits" ( binder, coinflips, comically small bill holders ), but I dunno is there a better/nicer way to keep track of a poo poo ton of coins? I haven't come across any that are worth more than maybe $100 ( optimistically based on ebay sold listings ) but I suppose if I get one in here that is worth $$'s you use a plastic/felt holder thing?

-Is there any advice some of you long term nerds can give? Like "don't bother using coin flips" or whatever?

edit: gently caress I just realized that NGC DOES let you add a collection. Now I don't know if I should convert my existing on one Numista and/or manually add to NGC? Numista seems very much a hobbyist site - like you can exchange with other members and so on. Whereas NGC is more about actually selling - is that accurate?

edit2: I tried adding a coin or 2 to NGC and I dunno, it seems kind of like it's more geared towards if you buy/sell through NGC and the coin is NGC Certified. Like I added a "Raw" coin and there's no little picture of what it looks like etc unless I add it myself. When I kind of like how Numista will show me what it looks like if it was mint.

Really, I just want to spend time adding/researching my coins to a single database. I'm not really planning on selling anything or getting it professionally graded unless I come across something that might actually be valuable.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU