Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Oh hey, thread!

I've been collecting banknotes for a few years now, but just found this thread today!

I just recently got some new notes in the mail.

Would anyone be interested in some pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

This is only a small portion of the new banknotes that I recently received:

2023 Ukrainian ₴20 "WE WILL NOT FORGET! WE WILL NOT FORGIVE!" commemorative note

1975 100 East German mark note (Because who doesn't want Karl Marx on their money?)

1985 500 East German mark note (Was never released to the public.)

So apparently after German reunification happened, a whole bunch of these and other East German currency was put into bunkers for whatever reason. Someone broke into one of the bunkers and a bunch of these got put out into the open market. After the German government found out about it, all the remaining East German currency was destroyed.

2014 50000 rials note from Iran

Either a 2014 or 2015 10,000 kyats note from Myanmar

2000 2 dollar commemorative note from Fiji

(There's a 2000 dollar note celebrating the Millennium, but I haven't decided if I'm going to pull the trigger on one since they go for about $2000 USD and that's a big investment for a hobby.)

2023 100 cent commemorative note from Fiji

2022 88 cent commemorative note from Fiji

2008 10 kroon commemorative note from Estonia

2004 2 dram note from the soon to be dissolved Republic of Artsakh

2004 10 dram note from the soon to be dissolved Republic of Artsakh

2015 100 Yuan note from the PRC

Shenzhou 9 and Tiangong-1 space station on the obverse.

2019 50 cent note from the Bahamas

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

Those are some drat fine banknotes! I personally have been ignoring that part of my collection beyond having put it in a better storage binder situation, so it's always nice to see them in other people's collections.

Trust me you don't want to see mine: a bank note collection that's mostly a stack of US star notes outside of some old rear end world currency in bad shape.

I have around four binders worth of notes, I think? And plenty of notes that haven't been sorted through and put into binders. Most of them are either North Korean or from ex-Soviet countries, with a smattering of other Asian countries as well. (And a good number of Zimbabwian hyperinflation notes too.)

I've been wanting to get a whole set of Vanuatu polymer vatu, because my partner and I went there (and Fiji) back in May... but gosh dang they are so expensive.

I have some duplicates if anyone is interested in them.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

Necroing the thread again to ask if anyone uses Numista on the regular? I'm debating whether it's worth it to catalog my entire collection, or to try the swap feature. Problem is I have mostly worthless coins to swap, like approximately a million dead Mexican pesos idk what to do with honestly.

I don't use Numista, but if you're interested in an alternative platform... I use Colnect and it works pretty well. I recently purchased some North Korean won off of it and the system seemed pretty solid. People would probably be willing to swap for your pesos.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

Thanks for the advice, it's laid bare that I still need a goal for this collection before undertaking the massive task of entering all the coins into a database and potentially trading. I've whined about a lack of collecting direction before in this thread before, so I'll avoid doing that again as it's totally a me problem.

I hear you. I think that's kind of why I like Colnect. You can search by themes or features and find coins or notes that have those aspects.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

Well the only advice I've got is the same I gave someone else up thread. The fast way to get rid of them for some money would be to find a local coin dealer and see if they'll buy them. Next would be to just ebay them, perhaps in groups of a few years? After these options I've only got the desperation moves of facebook marketplace and similar sites, pawn shops which won't give you a good deal and might not want them because of no precious metal content, and the ultimate final inadvisable and not recommended rock bottom move to just break the set and spend it at face value.

Are the links that you've posted previously applicable for banknotes as well?

As a completely different tangent... I'm starting to end up with a rather sizable set of duplicate notes that I don't really want or have a need for.

I can post some pictures if anyone would be interested in possibly wanting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Picayune posted:

Holy crap, a Showbiz Pizza token. I would love to know where that guy got that, because Showbiz Pizza got its lunch eaten by its identical rival Chuck E. Cheese in the early nineties and vanished without a trace. Until now.
Man, talking about Showbiz Pizza Place brings back so many memories of just running around with tickets and tokens as a little kid. Plus the Rock-afire Explosion was so cool!