Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Tamayachi posted:

His original post is about soloing endgame content, and that I can't think of anything except maybe like EVE or something where endgame isn't about dungeons and raids.

Quite a few things in current FF11 can be soloed with the right setup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

quote:

In addition, Guild Wars 2 will be 75% off from 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time on Friday, April 10 until 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on April 13*. 
Upcoming sale on the newest and most soloable MMO!

:coffeepal:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This is a good and not ironic answer. Plus, the game is mega cheap right now. I have every class to level cap and barely play with other people. It rules.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Not endgame content, but both TOR and The Secret World have an awesome leveling progression so hey

(And here I am desperate for an mmo I can make friends in :( )

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The Secret World have an awesome leveling progression so hey

Counterpoint: a'kab zone and the entirety of egypt needs to be fired into the sun.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

cthulhoo posted:

Counterpoint: a'kab zone and the entirety of egypt needs to be fired into the sun.

Having to grind Egypt to survive Transylvania :suicide:

thank god for guildie instance running

Tolstojevski
Apr 10, 2009
Throwing my vote in for gw2 as well. OP, you and me have extremely similar mmo tastes. I like exploring and playing along with other people, not necessarily with them, and I love it. Another sweet feature I would like to mention is that it clamps your level to the highest recommended for the region you are in, so you can't really out level zones and can indeed explore wherever you want while still having a tiny amount of challenge left rather then just steam rolling around.

As far as exploration goes, gw2 really doesn't have that much exposure, and I managed to drop in a couple of months ago not having a clue about the lore or anything, was barely sure how many classes there are. So I think it has you covered in that regard as well.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

I'm adding another vote to the secret world. It basically is an awesome single player game with multiplayer features added on to it. I don't think the intention of your post is that you will be able to solo *LITERALLY EVERYTHING*, because few games allow for that. However, you will have a great time with the story and feel strong at the end. Keep an eye out on steam for a sale of the Massive edition.

You can also check out Everquest, which has some classes that are very good at solo'ing. If you play on the p99 server there are rules limiting you to single boxing (versus multibox'ing with 6 characters). It's something to check out too, if you're up for a challenge.

sklurb
Sep 13, 2012

I'm a billionaire super spy and part-time supermodel.
Will chime in on Guild Wars 2 and The Secret World.

Both very good games for different reasons. TSW has some of the most fun questing/PvE in an MMO, and I frickin HATE questing in most MMO's. GW2 is refreshing if you are coming off WoW-type games, as it has some nice differences in it's gameplay and grind that give it a fresh feel. I have been playing WoW since original beta, and there is ALWAYS something to do still in that game. Still haven't seen everything yet.

Ultima Online Forever (Free Ultima Online shard with a ruleset somewhat akin to ~UO:R days w/ some customizations http://www.uoforever.com for a great single player or multiplayer experience

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
Dungeon Fighter Online's content is mostly solo. Soon we'll be able to enter otherverse solo but it's not really designed to be played that way. on the other hand....nearly everything else is designed to at least let you do so and it's even a part of the community's culture to enjoy solo runs or speed runs. if you're interested in it, give it a googling.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Did anyone mention GW1? Because you can solo that too.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

You can, but it's not really an MMO.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jackard posted:

You can, but it's not really an MMO.

It's better than GW2. :colbert:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mordiceius posted:

It's better than GW2. :colbert:

Your troll game is weak.
GW1 was a brilliant game and is okay these days if you know how to build a bit group well.
If it were a SP only game, it would be a playable but there are a ton of better options.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Inzombiac posted:

Your troll game is weak.

Not trolling. Honest opinion. GW2 is not a good successor to GW1.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Okay. How is this relevant?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Jackard posted:

Okay. How is this relevant?

If you want a soloable MMO, GW1 is a better choice than GW2. GW1 is the ultimate solo-able experience.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Look man this a thread for MMOs, not 3d jumpless diablolikes where you babysit henchmen

Jackard fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 29, 2015

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Granado Espada / Sword 2
Typical Korean grindfest but you get to control 3 people and outside of raids you never really need to party with anyone, also it has a kickass soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CJHy2rVZbI

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Mordiceius posted:

Not trolling. Honest opinion. GW2 is not a good successor to GW1.

GW1 was my poo poo. GW2 is two weeks idle grind and then nothing. GW1 had great campaigns and a unique class system, plus interesting pvp, and an art style and music that were unbelievably good. GW2 claims to have all these things but honestly doesn't really have any of them. Also GW1 didn't have plant elves.

And you can use the specialized heroes to solo the entire thing.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Vier posted:

Granado Espada / Sword 2
Typical Korean grindfest but you get to control 3 people and outside of raids you never really need to party with anyone, also it has a kickass soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CJHy2rVZbI
I tried playing this a while ago and got bored to heck around level 105. There isn't much to do beyond "move into a room full of enemies, hit space bar, gawk as your party rips through enemies, loot whatever you can, and then move into the next room to repeat the process." I do have to admit that doing this was fun for a while, which is more than I can say about the gameplay in a lot of MMOs.

I think the best part of GE is being introduced to Otyg.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Carol Pizzamom posted:

GW1 was my poo poo. GW2 is two weeks idle grind and then nothing. GW1 had great campaigns and a unique class system, plus interesting pvp, and an art style and music that were unbelievably good. GW2 claims to have all these things but honestly doesn't really have any of them. Also GW1 didn't have plant elves.

I liked the plant elves. :( But otherwise, Guild Wars 2 was not that good. I keep trying to get into it and it just doesn't provide anything unique.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Maybe I just have ArenaNet's throbbing cock too far down my throat but the only way GW2 is "grindy" is if you choose to do only one thing the whole time. It offers a ton of variety if the player bothers to look around.

It's like saying that Super Mario has bad level design because you never bothered to press right.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Maybe I just have ArenaNet's throbbing cock too far down my throat but the only way GW2 is "grindy" is if you choose to do only one thing the whole time. It offers a ton of variety if the player bothers to look around.

It's like saying that Super Mario has bad level design because you never bothered to press right.

Eh, I agree with CP and ISCI, I just didn't get into GW2 because a lot of the variety is just touristy stuff. Come here, look at this sky box, then kill monsters/use items until a bar fills and a reward gets mailed to you. It just has too much of a theme park feeling, in my opinion. The fact that you very rarely have to converse with NPCs or really do much of anything with the world besides look around makes it all feel really disconnected.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

If you want a soloable MMO, GW1 is a better choice than GW2. GW1 is the ultimate solo-able experience.

Can you not solo the main storyline in GW2?

This depends on what the OP meant by 'end game content', one person's GW2 endgame is the final story mission, another person sees WvWvW and another sees fractals or whatever they are called.

Heck even 'solo' is nebulous, there's plenty of MMOs that don't require you to make a bunch of social connections because of a public dungeon queue, like Rift or FFXIV.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Eh, I agree with CP and ISCI, I just didn't get into GW2 because a lot of the variety is just touristy stuff. Come here, look at this sky box, then kill monsters/use items until a bar fills and a reward gets mailed to you. It just has too much of a theme park feeling, in my opinion. The fact that you very rarely have to converse with NPCs or really do much of anything with the world besides look around makes it all feel really disconnected.

I guess it's a matter of approach. Wow is all about NPCs standing around waiting for THE HERO to finally come save them (I do hear that aspect got better after a while). GW2 treats you, sometimes with contempt, as just another soldier or adventurer outside of the personal story and I find that liberating. You get rewarded just for doing stuff in each zone; no quests to pick up and no bear asses to turn in. Plus, each zone have replayability in that event chains don't need the player to continue but will change on the fly depending on how many join and if they fail.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
GW2 definitely had, and still has some problems but it's turned around a lot in the last year and a half-ish. They've got some great QOL features that I often get annoyed with other MMOs for not having them because it seems like they're just wasting your time/money in a pointlessly unfun way by not having them (wardrobe system, account-wide guilds, gear-equalized pvp, instant free respecs wherever whenever, waypoints off the top of my head) and they've gotten considerably better with endgame and living story content. Silverwastes and Dry Top are legit cool endgame zones, the living story has some legitimately fun boss fights with achievements that give cool, useful rewards for beating a boss flawlessly or in a certain way, and collecting and mixing and matching cool skins and dyes with the account-wide wardrobe system is great fun. Most of it can be done solo, too - it's good to have things to do between groups.

A lot of the good new stuff they've done is just early prototypes of systems that the expansion is going to go into a lot more depth on too, so I'm really excited for the expansion (and especially for the trait system total revamp which is gunna get rid of that irritating unlock system entirely and make the whole trait system way more interesting).

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 1, 2015

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

It's not grindy in the everquest/diablo sense, it's grindy in the sense that the only gameplay there really was was a bunch of questing then fairly lackluster dungeons that aren't even anywhere as interesting as WoW's dungeons or even Final Fantasy 14's. You basically quested for a couple weeks, tried out some lovely battlegrounds, then the only thing left is people who really like playing dress-up

The mini games or wanna be esports pvp was silly, and the world pvp was just organized spam, I tried all of it when I played on release. I suppose it's possible they added things..

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Dungeons are probably the least interesting part of GW2. Hence the speedruns.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Carol Pizzamom posted:

It's not grindy in the everquest/diablo sense, it's grindy in the sense that the only gameplay there really was was a bunch of questing then fairly lackluster dungeons that aren't even anywhere as interesting as WoW's dungeons or even Final Fantasy 14's. You basically quested for a couple weeks, tried out some lovely battlegrounds, then the only thing left is people who really like playing dress-up

The mini games or wanna be esports pvp was silly, and the world pvp was just organized spam, I tried all of it when I played on release. I suppose it's possible they added things..

This was pretty much my experience. There was a decent amount of stuff to do in GW2 I guess but not much reason to do it more than once and poo poo, not much reason to do it the first time.

I just felt like I had nothing to strive for in that game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This is how the conversation always goes between casual and hardcore MMO design (over-simplifying, I know).
"Something to strive for" is purely subjective and very hard to quantify.
I love GW2 and CoH because character progression has nothing to do with gear treadmills which always feel empty and boring.
Yeah, if running a crappy but easy dungeon a few times means I get to look really cool even though it doesn't give me a 1% frost resistance, I will do it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Which is funny because I loved both City of Heroes and games like WoW or Final Fantasy 14, but didn't care for GW2.

I think it's in no small part because the core gameplay, and dungeons, just aren't that much fun :shrug:

Especially the dungeons. God drat. City of Heroes task forces and whatnot were brainless but fun in a "wee we're all different shades of wildly overpowered" kind of way. There is absolutely no way any living human being actually playtested GW2s dungeons for them to have been released in that condition.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I agree that their release was next to unplayable. They all got revamped and are easier and more fun.
DDO may have had my favorite type of dungeon because if your party wasn't balanced, you could miss out of treasure but it was always just bonus stuff. Most doors and chests you needed to lockpick... or have the Warforged fighter bash it open with an axe.
gently caress, that is a game that needs a sequel with better soloability.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

This is how the conversation always goes between casual and hardcore MMO design (over-simplifying, I know).
"Something to strive for" is purely subjective and very hard to quantify.
I love GW2 and CoH because character progression has nothing to do with gear treadmills which always feel empty and boring.
Yeah, if running a crappy but easy dungeon a few times means I get to look really cool even though it doesn't give me a 1% frost resistance, I will do it.

GW1 was cosmetic focused, in fact GW2 has more tiered equipment than 1 does, even though both have almost none. In GW1 the hard to get armor and weapons were entirely cosmetic as well. GW2 has legendary weapons which are a tiny buff if I remember correctly, unless they changed it

People who really liked 1 like myself, primarily for the art style and odd mechanics, are just fairly disappointed at 2. ArenaNet is clearly a different company with a different focus by the time they really got to work on 2, and it shows. It's fine if other people like it, but honestly GW1 was entirely playable as a casual game and was never super serious unless you were extremely into the high level PvP which I actually never was.

You can have a casual game that's interesting, I don't see why they have to be antithetical

Carol Pizzamom fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 2, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I agree that their release was next to unplayable. They all got revamped and are easier and more fun.
DDO may have had my favorite type of dungeon because if your party wasn't balanced, you could miss out of treasure but it was always just bonus stuff. Most doors and chests you needed to lockpick... or have the Warforged fighter bash it open with an axe.
gently caress, that is a game that needs a sequel with better soloability.

The game's very soloable now, it's just so old, and the fact that new content has to be bought on top of paying a sub fee (VIP doesn't include the two expansions) leads to the amount of costs just to try out the new stuff a bit too high for me to get back into it (plus the guild's dead). I really wish there was a DDO2 too, just to give them a fresh start with all the painful lessons they've learned over the long decade of DDO, but I almost feel like DDO's sort of a sunk cost now and they'll just keep stapling more onto it instead of starting over.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Carol Pizzamom posted:

You can have a casual game that's interesting, I don't see why they have to be antithetical

GW2 is a casual game that's interesting to me, and it's interesting to me in the exact same ways GW1 was interesting to you. There's a disconnect here somewhere.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Could be the asura butt.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Carol Pizzamom posted:

GW1 was cosmetic focused, in fact GW2 has more tiered equipment than 1 does, even though both have almost none. In GW1 the hard to get armor and weapons were entirely cosmetic as well. GW2 has legendary weapons which are a tiny buff if I remember correctly, unless they changed it

People who really liked 1 like myself, primarily for the art style and odd mechanics, are just fairly disappointed at 2. ArenaNet is clearly a different company with a different focus by the time they really got to work on 2, and it shows. It's fine if other people like it, but honestly GW1 was entirely playable as a casual game and was never super serious unless you were extremely into the high level PvP which I actually never was.

Legendary items, the ones that take ages to make, have no stat advantages. They only look cool.
They added one more tier after release but it's a pain to make and every enemy is designed for the next tier down. Everyone agrees that you only make Ascended items if you are bored and already have the mats. Plus, at most, they at 5% better.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

GW2 is a casual game that's interesting to me, and it's interesting to me in the exact same ways GW1 was interesting to you. There's a disconnect here somewhere.

the combat feels like a downgrade from gw1 (other than the removal of 2.5d) and the story and artstyle don't grab me as much

the rest of it is likely nostalgia bullshit since i was really, really young for GW1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I enjoyed GW1 because I enjoyed following the story. I'm always a big story/lore nerd in games. Unfortunately, GW2's story is loving awful. Holy gently caress is the GW2 story a loving abomination.

• Locked thread