Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
GW2 definitely had, and still has some problems but it's turned around a lot in the last year and a half-ish. They've got some great QOL features that I often get annoyed with other MMOs for not having them because it seems like they're just wasting your time/money in a pointlessly unfun way by not having them (wardrobe system, account-wide guilds, gear-equalized pvp, instant free respecs wherever whenever, waypoints off the top of my head) and they've gotten considerably better with endgame and living story content. Silverwastes and Dry Top are legit cool endgame zones, the living story has some legitimately fun boss fights with achievements that give cool, useful rewards for beating a boss flawlessly or in a certain way, and collecting and mixing and matching cool skins and dyes with the account-wide wardrobe system is great fun. Most of it can be done solo, too - it's good to have things to do between groups.

A lot of the good new stuff they've done is just early prototypes of systems that the expansion is going to go into a lot more depth on too, so I'm really excited for the expansion (and especially for the trait system total revamp which is gunna get rid of that irritating unlock system entirely and make the whole trait system way more interesting).

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I agree that their release was next to unplayable. They all got revamped and are easier and more fun.
DDO may have had my favorite type of dungeon because if your party wasn't balanced, you could miss out of treasure but it was always just bonus stuff. Most doors and chests you needed to lockpick... or have the Warforged fighter bash it open with an axe.
gently caress, that is a game that needs a sequel with better soloability.

The game's very soloable now, it's just so old, and the fact that new content has to be bought on top of paying a sub fee (VIP doesn't include the two expansions) leads to the amount of costs just to try out the new stuff a bit too high for me to get back into it (plus the guild's dead). I really wish there was a DDO2 too, just to give them a fresh start with all the painful lessons they've learned over the long decade of DDO, but I almost feel like DDO's sort of a sunk cost now and they'll just keep stapling more onto it instead of starting over.

• Locked thread