Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I enjoyed the episodes, the first one much more than the second one, but holy poo poo, don't watch it on the actual website. It was so pixelated my eyes loving hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
I had opposite feeling about episodes 1 and 2. The first felt awkward and the second felt like it was starting to head towards equilibrium. They were both kind of rough, but I'm pretty hopeful considering the changes the show has to contend with.

Also I'm genuinely interested in the new characters from what I've seen of them, which is a good sign. I think once they're fully integrated with the rest of the cast the whole thing will start to feel more natural.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I thought they were real messy and kinda not good, but had some funny moments. Watchable, at least? :smith: (Oh and IMPORTANT NOTE to my Non-American bros, the eps are now available elsewhere.)

I like that we got a Shirley scene, but I'm sad it wasn't a proper sendoff but another stupid TV show parody sketch.

And I know this is the nitpickiest thing, but I miss characters having normal names like Jeff Winger, Annie Edison and Troy Barnes, as opposed to Buzz Hickey and Elroy Patashnik. Also why didn't Buzz get any kind of sendoff?!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

For the life of me I still don't know why you bother to watch...well, loving anything, really.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
First episode just made me wish my uni offered a class in ladders. I'm rubbish at those things. :(

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Solid episodes. Loved Annie reading the phone message as a floating head, Slater's various horrified stares, Keith David, and Abed's recap. Britta's story in ep 2 overstayed it's welcome a bit, but on the other hand I could watch her make goofy faces all day. Chang really needs something to do, badly. When he was a security guard he had a purpose and could basically be anywhere for any reason, now...not so much.

e: also the immortal guy from Helix as the guy Shirley takes care of

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 17, 2015

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

John Dough posted:

Chang really needs something to do, badly.

I strongly disagree, I thought Chang was perfect in these two eps. I'd much rather have subtle crazy Chang than ludicrous Changnesia Emperor of Greendale Chang.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I got bit by a cat.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

So many times I've gone into this show kinda cynical and ended up being pleasantly surprised. My own fault, I guess.

I only saw the first episode, but i feel the longer runtime may not have exactly been helping the show. It's slowed down to a pace I wasn't really comfortable with for Community, but hopefully it feels more put-together in later episodes.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Am I the only one who had Gargoyles flashbacks when seeing that Keith David's virtual reality avatar was lavender colored, sort of like Goliath on that Disney cartoon?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I loved Shirley's scene at the end of the first episode. It caught me completely off guard and I can only hope for more or something similar for the other cast members who left. Maybe a Pierce hologram?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jorghnassen posted:

Am I the only one who had Gargoyles flashbacks when seeing that Keith David's virtual reality avatar was lavender colored, sort of like Goliath on that Disney cartoon?

I had Gargoyles flashbacks in Requiem for a Dream

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really loved Britta's parents.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Just finished watching the first episode. In terms of writing its still pretty good, but the awful direction drags things down a lot.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

I almost cried laughing at the Tinder bit.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

My favorite gag was during Frankie's introduction where Chang says in the background "Welcome back Professor Slater".

Trump.mp4
Feb 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I loved the second episode a lot more than the first, but it's probably because if I had that virtual reality machine the Dean had I would react the same way.

JESUS WEPT!!!!!

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

John Dough posted:

:eng101: Jack Torrance from The Shining.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I really enjoyed the random Eric Clapton song over the "Hard Drive and Wing Man" ad. Cracked me up.

Not quite random, I'm pretty sure it's a nod to the 80s movie The Color of Money. Sometimes, on his Harmontown podcast, Harmon will improvise a movie or TV plot and end with "freeze-frame! IT'S IN THE WAY THAT YOU USE IT!"

It's possible that he's misremembering that as the actual ending of TCOM, which does end on a freeze-frame, but a different song plays. Until I checked it five minutes ago on YouTube, I would have sworn that the film ended with that Clapton song (which is featured in the movie) and a freeze-frame on Paul Newman.

MrAristocrates posted:

I did NOT recognise Martin Mull, was amazed when I saw his name in the credits.

shadok fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 18, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
LADDERS!

edit: "Someones gonna murder some tater tots tonight"

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 18, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

pnumoman posted:

I enjoyed the episodes, the first one much more than the second one, but holy poo poo, don't watch it on the actual website. It was so pixelated my eyes loving hurt.

How the hell else are you gonna watch them? Break into Dan Harmon's video warehouse?

I enjoyed the Dean getting stuck in virtual hell.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Chang thinking Troy was back when he saw Ketih David was hilarious. Even if the VR stuff was kinda lame, Keith loving David y'all.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The first episode was better than the second, but the second was still good, and Knee-High Mischief was the best part of either episode.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Binary Badger posted:

How the hell else are you gonna watch them? Break into Dan Harmon's video warehouse?

I enjoyed the Dean getting stuck in virtual hell.

There are Yahoo Screen apps that supposedly show the show in actual HD, as opposed to the website's dogshit I don't know what resolution.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Diabolik900 posted:

The first episode was better than the second, but the second was still good, and Knee-High Mischief was the best part of either episode.

Well, Danielo Jarmon and Roberto Schrabriguez were Portugal's greatest filmmakers.

Also it was just pointed out to me that the cup of coffee on the desk in the opening animation has been replaced by a glass of Ketel One vodka on the rocks.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

John Dough posted:

Avril Lavigne posted:

:eng101: Jack Torrance from The Shining.

That man is Stephen loving Weber, I'll have you know.

Also, amazing episodes. Just completely on point.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
So, I didn't see a single ad, and the Yahoo Screen website, at full screen, showed the video bar at the bottom the whole time and it was super annoying.

The episodes were ok. The music cue for Hard Drive and Wing Man was a callback to Harmontown/Jeff Davis' gag? That and "Jesus Wept" had me in stitches.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

I CAN WATCH COMMUNITY ON TV AGAIN...IN THE THIRD DEANMENSION!

Jesus wept. :)

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The music cue for Hard Drive and Wing Man was a callback to Harmontown/Jeff Davis' gag?

Of course someone on Reddit made a complete list of every Harmontown episode where they used that gag.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The tone seems a little more sedate with the small cast (and presumably a smaller than never budget.). I like the themes they're engaging with though.

I like to imagine the end of the first episode is what actually has happened to Shirley.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
If those two episodes set the tone for the rest of the season, then bring it on!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Those were pretty awesome episodes. They had the community zaniness that I loved in season 3, but actually were pretty down to earth, dealing with human themes.

Yahoo Screen on the computer is terrible. Had to boot into windows to even get it to play and had multiple times that I had to restart the stream because it just stopped. It's 2015, stop using loving flash.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I like to imagine the end of the first episode is what actually has happened to Shirley.

It is pretty close. She moved back home to take care of her sick father and landed a local, lower commitment gig on the 3's company remake on TBS. The only thing missing from real life is her legitimately solving crime with a wheelchair bound detective.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Hard Drive and Wing Man is up there among the hardest I've ever laughed at this show, especially with the Harmontown reference. I'm hoping the insanity level stays this high.

Did anyone else notice the picture of Harmon in the speakeasy with "DO NOT SERVE THIS MAN"?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Brocktoon posted:

Hard Drive and Wing Man is up there among the hardest I've ever laughed at this show, especially with the Harmontown reference. I'm hoping the insanity level stays this high.

Did anyone else notice the picture of Harmon in the speakeasy with "DO NOT SERVE THIS MAN"?

That wasn't Dan Harmon, it was Dean of Admissions and Professor of Women's Studies Dr. Pat Isakson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3z5QO2O3cU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Brocktoon posted:

Oh is that who it was? I paused it for a few minutes trying to figure out who it was.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

So how do we find out if this Yahoo experiment is a success or not? I am loving the content and I think most people are, but how is that translated into ratings? How many viewers is it getting compared to being on network TV and does it even matter?

I don't even know why Yahoo is doing it at all, is it just to raise awareness about Yahoo! screencast?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"I once mistook six people for you at a pharmacy" is the best leonard joke in years.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Brocktoon posted:

I thought it was him but I couldn't remember ever having seen him with a mustache but no beard. Somehow I missed seeing those webisodes until now.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

So how do we find out if this Yahoo experiment is a success or not? I am loving the content and I think most people are, but how is that translated into ratings? How many viewers is it getting compared to being on network TV and does it even matter?

I don't even know why Yahoo is doing it at all, is it just to raise awareness about Yahoo! screencast?

As someone who works for a giant online retailer, it is easy as gently caress to measure exactly how many people are watching, how many are re-watching, where they're coming from, what they're watching it on, etc.

It's so much easier to tell how many people are watching than it is on actual television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The VR stuff was great. The dean literally drowning a file to delete it was hilarious.

• Locked thread