Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That was great but after the first episode I was really hoping that we'd get a clip from Shirley at the end of every one. Hint at the plot arc of the fake show.

Also now I wanna go print out a google cardboard.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also pretty sure the solution to half their problems is a liquor licence for an on-campus bar.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

(and presumably a smaller than never budget.).

The budget is larger than season 5.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Loved the episodes, but was I the only one frustrated by the sound mixing? I watched it in browser, and had to change the sound level multiple times. The voices were really low, and some of the music way too high.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The first episode was great - and really clever - and the VR plot in the second one was too, but that Britta plot was high-grade awful. People don't run away from home aged seventeen because their parents were kind of vaguely jerks a little bit, they do it when like, they're in actual bad/violent situations - which makes the first part of the episode where all Britta's friends are keeping tabs on her for her parents that she's cut off contact with read really weirdly. It didn't feel authentic as a plot at all, just a weird soupy mess that had a predictable and unearned conclusion.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 18, 2015

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

"I once mistook six people for you at a pharmacy" is the best leonard joke in years.
Yeah, that was easily the best gag.

Oh Snapple! posted:

For the life of me I still don't know why you bother to watch...well, loving anything, really.
See! I can like things!

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 18, 2015

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Viginti posted:

Even given the fact that Australians can just stream them on Yahoo? Stan seems to have a decent range of TV regardless, so I don't think signing up was a bad decision. I'm just surprised that we weren't excluded this time.

We're meant to be excluded. I just tested and it gives me an error message about how the content isn't available in this region.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Same here, and I even have Unblock-US which usually gets around most of these things. I guess they didn't get Yahoo working.

Stan's not so bad, despite it using Silverlight and often having no idea how to do fullscreen windows. I only use it for Community and Better Call Saul, easier than the shady ways of watching them.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

So, why is Britta homeless if she both has a job and won the 50,000 dollar comic book last season? Would none of her friends really not offer to let her stay with them?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Calico Heart posted:

So, why is Britta homeless if she both has a job and won the 50,000 dollar comic book last season? Would none of her friends really not offer to let her stay with them?

She's really bad at making sandwiches.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Calico Heart posted:

Lots of debt to pay off, well established poor money management, and then some comedic exaggeration.

It would be consistent with her character if she turned down any previous offers to move in saying she didn't need that much help, just a few dollars to borrow here and there that she will pay back soon honest.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Android Blues posted:

The first episode was great - and really clever - and the VR plot in the second one was too, but that Britta plot was high-grade awful. People don't run away from home aged seventeen because their parents were kind of vaguely jerks a little bit, they do it when like, they're in actual bad/violent situations - which makes the first part of the episode where all Britta's friends are keeping tabs on her for her parents that she's cut off contact with read really weirdly. It didn't feel authentic as a plot at all, just a weird soupy mess that had a predictable and unearned conclusion.

Yeah, I mean it zoomed so quickly over what would make that plot land that it just ended up terrible. Their flaws are given like two lines midway through a conversation and summarily dismissed. And it's super hosed up of her friends to be involved with her parents behind her back and then insist the're good people. Lots of abusive people seem "nice" to other members of the community they don't have power over.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sounds like you guys just don't like the world that was created within that world. Better find the serial number.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You guys are correct, except for that Britta is still The Worst and would totally run away over small vague things like that.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Remember guys the show and original website for the show hint that she was molested by a mascot at a Chuck E Cheese style restaurant and that her dad took the molesters side.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Calico Heart posted:

Remember guys the show and original website for the show hint that she was molested by a mascot at a Chuck E Cheese style restaurant and that her dad took the molesters side.

When was this mentioned?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

When was this mentioned?

The dinosaur, right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It was strongly implied in a promotional site (I found it weird that she was being so forthcoming about it) and then the season 3 finale brought it back.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zoXdWRhCFY

Also:

quote:

Name:
Britta Perry

Hometown:
Riverside, CO

Course focus:
Advanced Pigeon Hole Avoidance. With all apologies to the factory, I guess you'll have to consider this unit "uncategorized" for now.

About me:
What is this exactly? I should tell you about myself? There's a word for that. Deposition. Here's some other people I have to "tell about myself:" Internal Revenue. Police. And on my eleventh birthday, an eager-handed man in a dinosaur costume whose side my father took when I told the owner of the restaurant. After I tell you about myself, then what, then you know me? This is how you understand what someone else is about? Maybe you can't fit someone into a box of text. Let's explore that possibility. The human experience is wider than my class schedule and what high school I went to. Okay, I dropped out of high school so I could write the word "lies" on newspaper boxes. Moving up in the world, I started vandalizing billboards and made friends with a small group of anarchist billboard vandals, coordinating into a larger, more successful group, which then voted to kick me out because they were anarchists. Now they're an advertising firm and you can go on Facebook and see photos of their children, who have names like Hemingway and Chomsky and who are seated in the backs of SUVs. Joined the Peace Corps, did some foot modeling, got tear gassed at a world trade rally, went to Africa, woke up one day and realized I was almost thirty and flat broke. So... I got my G.E.D. and here I am: crawling back to society. High five yourself.

Inspirational quote:
"A lot of the people who call themselves left I would regard as proto-fascists." - Noam Chomsky

Favorite Movie:
Sixteen Candles

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 18, 2015

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pick posted:

Yeah, I mean it zoomed so quickly over what would make that plot land that it just ended up terrible. Their flaws are given like two lines midway through a conversation and summarily dismissed. And it's super hosed up of her friends to be involved with her parents behind her back and then insist the're good people. Lots of abusive people seem "nice" to other members of the community they don't have power over.

I believe Jeff actually said, "We're terrible friends" at one point in the episode.

I thought it was fine.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Wow, they even made a callback to the group of friends she defaced billboards with.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I would have totally been as addicted to the VR machine as Dean was. I'm a sucker for extremely elaborate calibration/setting up processes.

JESUS WEPT

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I felt the VR dude gave up his life ambition way too unrealisticly, even for this show. I did like how he was going in and all those references though, but I felt the lazy message that "VR is lame" was a bit too flat, like it was just directly from some personal grievance a single writer had, that wasn't really fleshed out enough to put in a show.

The Britta's parents thing skeeved me out too, it had a good generic message at the end, but it really seemed to be oblivious the fact that some people do actually have horribly abusive and manipulative parents who employ gas-lighting techniques to control their children.

The first episode I definitely loved, was laughing the whole way through. I think it just feels a lot like Dan Harmon played minecraft for 9 months and wrote all the episodes a week before the deadline. Still looking forward to the rest, I'm just not as into it as I used to be.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Solaris Knight posted:

I would have totally been as addicted to the VR machine as Dean was. I'm a sucker for extremely elaborate calibration/setting up processes.

JESUS WEPT

As someone who just bought an Oculus Rift last month, I can confirm that this was a pretty accurate representation of the owner's response, as well as that of those around him.

:smith:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

I just saw the second episode. Have to say I hated it. There were some jokes i thought were genuinely really funny and got laughs out of me, but the VR stuff was just painfully boring. Long segments of the show that are visually hideous and devoid of any jokes seems like it should be a pretty obviously bad idea.

And the Britta storyline made me feel incredibly sad and frustrated for Britta. Given that we know she was at least felt up as a child and that her dad took her molester's side, I felt uncomfortable during the whole thing. It was like Britta's new family are not only not on her side again but been deceiving her, too. By the end of the episode I didn't feel like she had had a cathartic victory, I feel like she gave up and was manipulated into forgiveness.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I agree with that sentiment. And also it was skeevy that their defining trait as "good" people was paying for stuff.

Also, the "We're POOR" retort to Britta is also off considering she paid for Abed's film class and other things for her friends when it basically wiped her out (also true of running Shirley's sandwich shop in her absence). It's not like being charitable entitles you to charity from others, but acting audacious about the existence of charity to someone who has exhibited such charity is pretty bizarre.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I really want to watch Portuguese Gremlins.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
The first episode was pretty meh. Abed already said everything I would want to say about 'Frankie,' and what the admittedly boring character promised to bring (efficiency and results) sounds like something a comedy show about loser failures doesn't need.

The second episode was significantly better. The dean running in that VR machine was exactly as majestic as he believed it was. Not sure about you, but that font made me larger if y'know what I mean (it gave me a benign tumor). I think Britta's parents helped her out because they, like, wanted her not to be homeless? I heard somewhere that having to poo poo in a bucket and/or sell yourself into prostitution sucked. Her friends being in on it and guilting her about it was weird. But then, her friends are weird.

Hopes for the season: Annie and Abed start dating, and things get super duper uncomfortable for everybody on the show as a result.

teamcharlie fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 18, 2015

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Throwing money at your offspring doesn't make you a good parent. By those standards, Paris Hilton had great parents. It's heavily suggested, basically stated, that Britta ran away due to mistreatment, including molestation as implied above. Likely she wouldn't need that money now if she hadn't been mistreated before.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

k cool pick we get it

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

Toxxupation posted:

k cool pick we get it

Good post please post more

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

^^^christ that post is bad

if you don't like a portrayal that's fine but bringing it up over and over and over and over is just hysterically ranting about something you don't like and it's obnoxious

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

if you don't like a portrayal that's fine but bringing it up over and over and over and over is just hysterically ranting about something you don't like and it's obnoxious

I know for a fact you're not new to this thread~

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

^^^christ that post is bad

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're not loving helping

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This strikes me as more a loose approach to continuity than anything- Britta's character changed quite a bit from the outset and "may be a molestation survivor" was just something they threw out once and never pursued. That I don't even remember what episode it's from may be telling.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I just wish we get back Britta the Overly Enthusiastic And Kinda Annoying Activist, because Britta The Worst is just the worst.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Dan Harmon agrees with you: Britta was right and everybody else was wrong.

(this is the Reddit thread the op was linking)

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Maxwell Lord posted:

This strikes me as more a loose approach to continuity than anything- Britta's character changed quite a bit from the outset and "may be a molestation survivor" was just something they threw out once and never pursued. That I don't even remember what episode it's from may be telling.

It came up repeatedly in the first three seasons, it wasn't just a one time gag. If I remember right, the last reference was in the final episode of Season 3 where Evil Abed "therapizes" her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

You're not loving helping

• Locked thread