Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Portugese Gremlins is by far my favourite ending tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I thought the new episodes were great and had better performances from everyone involved.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Yeah I liked both episodes. First ep the sound level was all over the place, didn't notice it as much in the second though.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I enjoyed both a lot. I understand why people were bored by the VR bits, but the cuts to the dean were fun for me. The whole Britta plot was frustrating, but it wasn't that character's fault. And Britta going for a cat coughing up a hairball in disgust made me laugh way more than it deserved.

The only news I'm down on is another paintball episode. They've been fun but let it go.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The only news I'm down on is another paintball episode. They've been fun but let it go.

Season 4 killed paintball. Killed it bad.

I'm curious to see where Dan wants to go with it, though. He's probably just trolling us at this point.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's no way it's gonna be a straight paintball episode. They're either completely lying to us or it's gonna be a Pulp Fiction scenario like one poster suggested.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Just because paintball is involved doesn't mean it will be a retread.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

kayakyakr posted:

Season 4 killed paintball. Killed it bad.

The fact that was almost the series finale kind of scares me. Like everyone else at the time I really expected season 4 to be the last one and man that would have been a sad way for such a great show to go out.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cybershell posted:

The fact that was almost the series finale kind of scares me. Like everyone else at the time I really expected season 4 to be the last one and man that would have been a sad way for such a great show to go out.
Season 5's finale was honestly almost as bad, though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I didn't see a single ad. So weird

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

PostNouveau posted:

Nor did I. Either it's broken, or the first week was a freebie.

I had the goddamn progress line on the bottom of the screen the whole time in fullscreen, and there were definitely built-in breaks for commercials, they just never came.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

To me the idea of the season five finale being the end is even worse. At least four you had the excuse of "gas leak season" and could default to 3 being the real send-off. Five has no excuses. It's just awful.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PostNouveau posted:

I disabled adblock just so it would show ads. Then it would show me 3 ads every time I reset where I was (because the stream had frozen).

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The Erland posted:

Loved the episodes, but was I the only one frustrated by the sound mixing? I watched it in browser, and had to change the sound level multiple times. The voices were really low, and some of the music way too high.

Mixing (and video quality) seemed fine watching it tonight my Apple TV. Only problem for me was that I'd get one 2-3 second pause at the beginning of each episode as it tried to spin up to HD.

No ads on it either.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

MrAristocrates posted:

There's no way it's gonna be a straight paintball episode. They're either completely lying to us or it's gonna be a Pulp Fiction scenario like one poster suggested.

"They Live" Paint Ball.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

I disabled adblock just so it would show ads. Then it would show me 3 ads every time I reset where I was (because the stream had frozen).

Well I feel like an idiot. I forgot about adblock.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Paintball episode is just going to be a team building exercise where they go to the local range and play paintball.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

swickles posted:

Paintball episode is just going to be a team building exercise where they go to the local range and play paintball.

It will have to even bigger than Westerns, Die Hard, and Star Wars.

I'm guessing superheros.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VagueRant posted:

I thought they were real messy and kinda not good, but had some funny moments. Watchable, at least? :smith: (Oh and IMPORTANT NOTE to my Non-American bros, the eps are now available elsewhere.)

Messy is exactly the word I'd use to describe it. Some of the jokes simply didn't make any sense. I mean, I understood they were meant to be jokes, but I didn't know why they were supposed to be funny (for example, Leonard staring at Fat Neil). The plotting was also very sloppy and they were taking a lot of shortcuts that I felt weren't warranted. Why were Annie and Abed at Britta's parents house? Why doesn't Chang know where the nurse's office is? Why are Jeff and the others building a bar in the basement? The bar thing was (kinda) explained afterwards, but when its happening its just characters behaving randomly and makes a big chunk of the episode feel pretty drat shallow.

I could go on, but yeah, both episodes were pretty drat messy.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I figured Chang was hallucinating from the cat bite. (I think that's a thing)

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Irish Joe posted:

...Why were Annie and Abed at Britta's parents house? Why doesn't Chang know where the nurse's office is? Why are Jeff and the others building a bar in the basement?...

All three of these are pretty clearly explained by the narrative of each episode, so I'm not sure how you missed it.

1. Annie and Abed were at Britta's parents house because they really like them, to the point where they would hang out and play Trouble together.

2. He's having complications due to the cat bite.

3. Short answer: Frankie banned alcohol from campus and Jeff likes drinking at work. Long answer: I saw the whole plotline as a meta-commentary on the evolution of the show and a juxtaposition of the more absurd elements with the more grounded ones. (Frankie rushing in with Keystone cops and asking "This is what you wanted, right?") It reminded me a lot of the Frank Grimes episode of The Simpsons where a "real" person invades a sitcom universe and their reaction is "What the gently caress is wrong with you people?"

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Brocktoon posted:

3. Short answer: Frankie banned alcohol from campus and Jeff likes drinking at work. Long answer: I saw the whole plotline as a meta-commentary on the evolution of the show and a juxtaposition of the more absurd elements with the more grounded ones. (Frankie rushing in with Keystone cops and asking "This is what you wanted, right?") It reminded me a lot of the Frank Grimes episode of The Simpsons where a "real" person invades a sitcom universe and their reaction is "What the gently caress is wrong with you people?"

Specifically, it was banned from the faculty lounge, so he was drinking at Shirley's instead. Britta was running Shirley's into the ground because she can't make sandwiches, but she can bar tend. When they discovered that students were willing to pay to have a drink with Professor Winger, they built a bar so they could make enough money to keep Shirley's open (and so Jeff could keep drinking).

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I finally watched them. They were both pretty good, I enjoyed the first one and laughed way more at the second.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So from here on we are getting one episode a week on Tuesday, correct?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Frankie was the only part that seemed "Community" to me

Everything else just seemed random monkey cheese humour, especially the parts with the dean.

I know he's supposed to ham it up but he was always in multiple different situations, not just one where it was literally repeating the same joke for too long (jesus wept and actions in VR are way too involved)

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So I'm trying to avoid spoilers for the new episodes. Is there any news on how Canadians can watch this the 'intended' way or do I have to just use the Hola extension?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wouldn't hold your breath on that getting resolved any time soon.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
I thought both episodes were good and you are all whiny babies.

Cheers.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

am0kgonzo posted:

I thought both episodes were good and you are all whiny babies.

Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR-FLwonazA

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I thought the opening scene with the frisbee collapse was pretty uncomfortable considering how tragic real life roof collapses tend to be.

Also the flashback that followed is inconsistent with season 1 promotional materials which, if read with a critical eye, cleary suggest that Leonard was raped by a BLUE South Korean dinner plate and not a RED (communist North Korean) dinner plate which the red frisbee in the opener is clearly alluding to. Someone ask Dan Harmon about this, I'm sure he'll give us a satisfactory answer that isn't just him poking fun at us for being retarded grogs.

Jesus wept.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
omg Community is back! Seemed a bit like the first season. Second episode was really funny. Wasn't expecting it to be this good.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cybershell posted:

I strongly disagree, I thought Chang was perfect in these two eps. I'd much rather have subtle crazy Chang than ludicrous Changnesia Emperor of Greendale Chang.

Yeah, but he needs something to do. His best parts were when he was a teacher or security guard, with some reason to interact with the group

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

I really loved the scene where they took it one more step, and she gives her "I've decided to be in charge here" speech, and the guy goes "How pretentious are you? Who would say that in a job interview?"

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

I thought the opening scene with the frisbee collapse was pretty uncomfortable considering how tragic real life roof collapses tend to be.

Did you have similar issues with the pillows & blankets civil war parody?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

Did you have similar issues with the pillows & blankets civil war parody?

Out of an entire joke post you take exception to this part?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

I really loved the scene where they took it one more step, and she gives her "I've decided to be in charge here" speech, and the guy goes "How pretentious are you? Who would say that in a job interview?"

his confusion during the apology montage was the best

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Fried Watermelon posted:

Frankie was the only part that seemed "Community" to me

Everything else just seemed random monkey cheese humour, especially the parts with the dean.

I know he's supposed to ham it up but he was always in multiple different situations, not just one where it was literally repeating the same joke for too long (jesus wept and actions in VR are way too involved)

I've started rewatching the show from the start with my gf after discovering she has only seen the occasional episode here and there, and Frankie is definitely more of a first season character.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Out of an entire joke post you take exception to this part?

:doh: This is what I get for skimming the thread on my break at work.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
At the end of the first episode when that background guy was furiously glaring at them, was that about anything particular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Dr_Amazing posted:

At the end of the first episode when that background guy was furiously glaring at them, was that about anything particular?

I assumed Garret, Leonard and presumably a good chunk of the rest of the school took getting Frankie back as an affront to their shenanigans and fun.

• Locked thread