Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Brocktoon posted:

3. Short answer: Frankie banned alcohol from campus and Jeff likes drinking at work. Long answer: I saw the whole plotline as a meta-commentary on the evolution of the show and a juxtaposition of the more absurd elements with the more grounded ones. (Frankie rushing in with Keystone cops and asking "This is what you wanted, right?") It reminded me a lot of the Frank Grimes episode of The Simpsons where a "real" person invades a sitcom universe and their reaction is "What the gently caress is wrong with you people?"

Specifically, it was banned from the faculty lounge, so he was drinking at Shirley's instead. Britta was running Shirley's into the ground because she can't make sandwiches, but she can bar tend. When they discovered that students were willing to pay to have a drink with Professor Winger, they built a bar so they could make enough money to keep Shirley's open (and so Jeff could keep drinking).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Am I the only one who found Yahoo Screen's streaming really loving glitchy? Like, I would get random periodic freezes/pixelation, and it's not my internet. It happened on two devices. And I got no commercials on my Kindle Fire HDX.

The strange thing to me is not that so many people had issues with Yahoo Screen, but that there are so many different ways that people had problems. For me, the 3rd (and 4th, when there were 4 commercials) in a set never had sound, and most of the time when getting back from a commercial it would skip the first few seconds of the new scene and I'd have to go back again to get it all. Then there are people with glitchy playback, people who had to refresh after freezes to see it at all, people who didn't get any commercials at all, and I think a couple others I've forgotten now.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Are people interpreting her line about getting Annie away from Jeff as Frankie being into Jeff, or was there something I missed? Because I interpreted that as "Annie's relationship with Jeff is codependent and bad for her, she needs to get away from him."

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Season one represents when they're still attached to their old, lacking lives but discovering that they need something more than what they used to have, season two is the true crazy of Greendale showing itself and them adapting and getting sucked in, season three is them having discovered a sense of fulfillment as a result of their new friendships but then paying the psychological price for the insanity that is the school (the dark year), and season 4 would have been them emerging out the other side into real life having been changed for the better by it.

There's probably a more detailed breakdown of how it all fits together, and I'll bet you could do one for each character's individual journey, but I'm not Dan Harmon.

I remember that during season 3 he talked about making an effort to show them away from campus more, so that they could eventually transition to life outside of school and have that seem natural. I always thought it was a bit odd that he didn't try that out instead of doubling down on Greendale being the setting in season 5.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

prefect posted:

Is that the episode where Abed makes a movie and acts like he's Jesus? That one was terrible.

That's Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples from season 2, and in my experience, people who were raised Catholic tend to think it's great. They're taking about the season 6 episode where they make a sci-fi movie using bits of footage of Chang after Chang gets briefly famous.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

prefect posted:

:confused:

I would recognize Stewart Lee way before him. And the one who dresses up like a lady. And Frankie Boyle (he's got a giant beard now, right?). And David Mitchell -- does he count? I don't actually have any idea who Matt Lucas is. :shrug:

David Mitchell I know from Mitchell and Webb, Matt Lucas I know from Little Britain, never heard of anyone else being mentioned.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
It still has a lot of good parts; I laughed a lot. It just wasn't as consistently good. I think part of it was Dan and Jeff sticking with their characters' feud for the entire season. It was fine the first time but them being stubborn assholes to each other about it after they made up again and again got really old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

He's been well known to be really hard to work with for years hasn't he?

What immediately comes to mind is that bit from the Harmontown documentary where Sarah Silverman says she's his biggest fan and still fired him.

• Locked thread