Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Tartan Target posted:

Loved both episodes, really reassuring start to the season. Frankie seems like a good fit character-wise - she offers the same sort of moral/reality anchor point for the group in the way that Shirley did, but she seems like it'll be a lot easier for Harmon and the staff to write for her. As much as I loved they had a Christian single-mother on the character on a show like that, they clearly never quite knew what to do with her.

Also, exterior shots. I had no idea how much I missed them. Immediately throws more of a sense of reality in there.

NEVER is a strong word when they executed Shirley's character perfectly in Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples (Abed as Jesus), and she did have a great role kind of making fun of herself for the early run. There were just too many episodes (like Troy's 21st birthday) that refused to resolve things with her, and others that just faded her out entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

swickles posted:

He has Changnesia.

That's season 4 droog, 5 starts with him copping to his lie and doing the time. He's back as a math teacher, right? He's more just an out and out idiot/lunatic now. See the S5 episode with ghosts

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
I think the idea that being 'stuck' somewhere, learning to love and accept it while there, and then expending your energy to fix what's in your control is a beautiful and wholly relate-able premise. I just don't think community season 6 and (by in large) 5 have executed on that very well, probably because of all the crap that led to them never knowing how long the series would run. The main plot of the show has pretty much ground to a halt. One of the worst parts of the revamp is how half-assed and uninteresting getting them back to the school was, like Shirley's reason being a complete tragedy that was hardly addressed. I wonder if the Andre arc was meant to stretch until the end of the series, and since they thought season 3 would be the end, they hurried the redemption. Even if that's not exactly the case, most of the character arcs have become so stagnant there's little to tune in for besides neat ideas and jokes. The other problem is the jokes (for me) aren't nearly as consistent as the first 3 seasons. I think the plots (plot devises?) have been good to great (really liked the VR one, for instance) but in TOP SHELF Community episodes the plot, jokes and characters are interwoven wonderfully. A bunch of the recent episodes are flailing in more than one category which produces some reasonably unfavorable reviews.

Having said that it's still watchable and I look forward to Tuesday's. That's certainly enough for me!

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
The reason the episode worked for me was they started off making a big deal about "Guerrilla Marketing" and ended up being as overt as possible. It's taking money from the dumbest thing in the world (marketing) and putting it towards exposing it's flaws and disagreeable elements (taking advantage of people like Todd/the Dean). I thought the first Bar seen did a good job exploring some of the hypocrisy being fundamentally against advertising produces: you can sell/recommend something with the best of intentions and still be serving a brand. Britta's always been caught in the world between idealism and practicality, she survives because she's good at finding justification from others or herself. I also really appreciate the idea that Honda was a stand in for addictive drugs, which I didn't completely connect until it was posted here.

As for people who don't like this episode, good! Product placement sucks, capitalism sucks, rejecting forms of it at the expense of your own enjoyment is quite admirable. Harmon made it easy, you just have to ignore the show whenever Rick shows up. He then gets written out and everyone but Britta is happy. I thought the episode was funny in addition to the concept, but I'd probably be singing a different tune if it was season 4 level writing and an ad.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

teamcharlie posted:

You don't have to give a gently caress one way or the other about capitalism to think that this episode sucked.

Yea, but you give actual criticisms, which I can understand, even if I liked the episode. I particularly agree on the episode screwing up Rick, in so far as there was no mention of his ultimate goals (that I recall), which gave him his motivation for being a shill. After this episode it isn't clear that Rick ever truly intended to stop working for Subway, or why that experience would drive him to continue working as a salesman.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Avulsion posted:

Do addicts have goals beyond the next hit?

I appreciate the addict angle, but that transition is what was glossed over. I don't believe addiction was any part of the Subway plot, he was a good guy willing to sacrifice his personal beliefs to do something he thought was right. Why did Subway replacing him drive him toward Honda (or anyone else he worked for in between)? Was he still trying to achieve his dream and at what point did he become an addict? That's the piece that was missing for me.

Milovan Drecun fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

ashpanash posted:

You mean they brought a character back to a TV show to quickly reintroduce a particular relationship but changed the dynamic to tell a different story? Why I never! And on a sitcom no less!

Look, I agree, it's a point that is glossed over. I think it's glossed over because it was a more expedient way to tell the story they wanted to tell, and they only have 13 episodes anyway. Was it an easy shortcut? Yeah. Has Community earned the right to take an easy shortcut now and then? I think so, but that's up to you I guess.

I may be nitpicking, but I was initially responding to someone who didn't like the episode, agreeing that it wasn't perfect. That was the bit for me, I liked the episode on the whole. I'm not upset the dynamic changed, I just thought it stepped back good guy Rick a bit without doing the work. They still showed why Britta and him were a good fit, it wasn't like all of Rick's character was forgotten.

• Locked thread