Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Spoeank posted:

According to the Community Twitter, Dan Harmon just announced

(mild spoiler)
another paintball episode

:regd08:

I think this finally ends the debate over whether Dan Harmon is a brilliant auteur or just an incredibly lucky hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

We should probably put in the OP that if you have the opportunity to watch this on Yahoo screen, you should do so. Support the show, sit through the ads. Maybe together we can make it the first profitable season of Community!!!

The show wouldn't have been renewed if it wasn't profitable. Also, a bit of realtalk, but there is zero chance of the show being renewed for a 7th season. Let's say the impossible happens and the show doubles its NBC ratings on Yahoo! Its still not getting renewed. Period. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. We are literally three months away from the last episode of Community ever.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VagueRant posted:

I thought they were real messy and kinda not good, but had some funny moments. Watchable, at least? :smith: (Oh and IMPORTANT NOTE to my Non-American bros, the eps are now available elsewhere.)

Messy is exactly the word I'd use to describe it. Some of the jokes simply didn't make any sense. I mean, I understood they were meant to be jokes, but I didn't know why they were supposed to be funny (for example, Leonard staring at Fat Neil). The plotting was also very sloppy and they were taking a lot of shortcuts that I felt weren't warranted. Why were Annie and Abed at Britta's parents house? Why doesn't Chang know where the nurse's office is? Why are Jeff and the others building a bar in the basement? The bar thing was (kinda) explained afterwards, but when its happening its just characters behaving randomly and makes a big chunk of the episode feel pretty drat shallow.

I could go on, but yeah, both episodes were pretty drat messy.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I think the distribution thing is dumb, but drat do I love all the angry foreigners who can't live without American media for a few days.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Wait, what was lovely about Britta's E2 storyline? I feel like I missed something.

People felt the episode was too sympathetic towards Britta's parents.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Hopkins FBI posted:

After six years of this show, I still can't decide if Alison Brie annoys me or not. I do know that I never want to hear her say "YOU GUUUUUUYYYSS-UH!!" ever again.

gently caress you she's hot.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Unmerciful posted:

IMO the Jerry stuff always felt completely bizarre and unnecessary to me - if you want to keep the show from being too sappy and sweet then introduce some legitimate conflict and stakes for all the characters rather than just heaping all the negativity on one.

The whole point of Jerry's character is that he's a well meaning oaf who can never redeem himself because he's constantly making dumb mistakes in front of his coworkers. The relatability of his struggle is what makes it so drat funny. If you take that away by making him just another smiling face in the Amy Poehler Hug Parade, then what's the loving point of him being there at all?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Except now, instead of getting trounced in the ratings by The Big Bang Theory, they're being beaten by Pewdiepie and Jenna Marbles.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

rapeface posted:

Pretty amazed they've managed to keep the show high quality. This episode actually made me laugh out loud multiple times.

Twice?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rexides posted:

I actually liked that one. The joke that was not as clever as they thought it was was the bird going into the electrical box after they set it free. It was as if the show was afraid that it would not look cynical enough for the Internet if it didn't do something to that bird at the end.

On the other hand, the episode ended with a bunch of grown-rear end adults putting on cat masks and indulging Abed's mental illness.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

I'm 24 and yeah a couple hours ago a friend mentioned to me that it was more of an 80s kids thing because they supposedly played it on TV lot in the UK in the very early 90s.

Sounds like it might be a UK thing. I've been around the block a few times and have never seen The Karate Kid.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
That was the best episode of The Big Bang Theory I've ever seen.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VagueRant posted:

Guys...I hate it.

Ditto. It honestly felt like a season 4 episode. There was no subtlety, no clever jokes, and a gross regression of Abed's character (as well as everybody else's, but Abed came off the worst). Harmon should have spent more of that sweet Yahoo money on good writers and less on cgi frisbees.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Holyshoot posted:

Was it just me or did Britta look a bit prettier then normal this episode?

I hate straight, flat hair, so I thought she looked horrible. Britta is best with curls.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

pwn posted:

Giving a cursory look over the immediate post-show chat in 313's thread, there is mostly just people saying they want to go eat Subway to support the show.

Goons: Level 7 susceptible for bad television.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I have adblock turned on and the episode inexplicably cut off after Chang's powerpoint presentation. Is this a common problem?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I did some googling and it appears that Red Wolf is a brand of beer.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EatinCake posted:

It probably won't help ease anyone's complaints of how they approached product placement, but this episode was written by one of the original writers and eventual editor-in-chief of The Onion.

I didn't know it was written by someone who wrote for a free newspaper. That changes everything!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Shneak posted:

I like that they really went with the lovely movie self awareness and actually had Jeff and Abed acknowledge it as bad.

Ditto. Abed made a terrible movie in season 4 (the purpose of which so that S4's hack writers could make a bunch of tired jokes about amateur filmmaking) and I remember being annoyed that they never addressed the fact that Abed (1) was a competent filmmaker and (2) never would have released a film that didn't meet his lofty standards.

That said, the episode was still eight minutes too long and lacking in all of the qualities that made "classic" Community good.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 29, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Well that's literally the first time he ever made a movie. I'm thinking more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4xMMSlKbAY

or the Pierce documentary episode.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

It's funny because the post the meltdown guy quoted was pretty fair. I mean he's allowed to not like those kind of jokes.

The strawman won't stand up if you remove all the hay.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Spacebump posted:

If they did a movie and were able to bring back old cast members, I wonder if they would try to bring back Buzz and keep this season's new cast members.

Buzz, Pierce and Troy are all dead. That leaves Shirley, Alex and a couple of professors.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Spacebump posted:

When did Troy die? I thought he was just captured by pirates, for all we know he is a pirate king now.

I thought I remember Leroy Burton eating him on an island or something. I could be wrong, though.

edit: vvv I'm not crazy! vvv

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 4, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
This concept was done sooooooo much better in S2's conspiracy episode.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Lord Of Texas posted:

I feel like the last two episodes would have been a lot better at 21 minutes instead of 28. Both ending tags were pretty funny, but the middle of the episodes just dragged and dragged.

Yeah, its absolutely disappointing that there was so much build-up to such an unsatisfying conclusion. Going back to the conspiracy episode, that episode had an incredible climax that just kept getting funnier and funnier as the layers were peeled away. This episode's climax, meanwhile, rests on a single act which, when completed, deflates the tension almost instantly. Its like an exercise in anti-comedy: 25 minutes of buildup followed by zero payoff.

(or an organism where you time it wrong and do one of those disappointing half-cums)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

I find Annie absolutely intolerable this season, which is odd since I liked her before :psyduck:.

Its because she's wearing pants.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
They're taking classes in how to beat a dead horse.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

teamcharlie posted:

Oh no, the group got grifted out of a relatively small sum of money! Fortunately everybody's a sufficiently functional adult such that the problem was resolved in a timely manner. Hilarity does not ensue at all.

Its like Harmon made a full revolution on his asinine story circle and didn't know what to do next because he's never been able to hold down a job for this long before.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 7, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its well past time to put the old dog down. I said last year that the renewal was a mistake because everybody was tired of the show, and this season pretty much confirmed it. Harmon is tired. The actors are tired. The audience is tired. There's no more love for this show; and no reason to extend its suffering. Just cancel the loving thing already so that the actors and staff can move on with their lives.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

El Tortuga posted:

edit: Didn't realize it was you with that new avatar, Irish Joe. Couldn't take looking at your worst post ever all the time?

I left it on for over a year, and got it for sassing Franco. The joke wore out its welcome and Franco was run off SA, so it was time for a change.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Nothing this season has been as bad as the schmitty episode, DUH.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VagueRant posted:

I hated both. That was literally bad TV and the 28 minute running time is insufferable.

Yeah, given how weak the stories and the jokes have been this season, a shorter running time would have worked in this season's favor. There's just so much material that screams "DVD Extra."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
:mediocre:

Paintball just isn't the same without a talented director.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

tarlibone posted:

... Not really. I don't think they look all that much alike.

Its uncanny how they both have black hair and are white.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

drat she's 46. She looks great!

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Community Season 6: getting Oedipal over Brewster

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Frankie yes, but has Elroy done anything of note the entire season?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

phosdex posted:

i actually just graduated from a cc, our student speaker at commencement was graduating after having been there for 6 years.

A community college commencement ceremony sounds like the most depressing thing in the world. That, and pet marriages.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

In It For The Tank posted:

I imagine the entire wedding was a fairly accurate recreation of Dan's wedding. Except for the incest. Maybe.

Fun fact: two elementary schools were forced to cancel their senior trips to the natural history museum of LA because Dan was holding his wedding there.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Kinda boring and overly sentimental. Shirley should have stayed fat and its a little disappointing that Troy had no lines.

2/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I just wanna have one more joke from Troy.

Holy poo poo, Donald Glover is never, ever coming back. Not for a seventh season. Not for a movie. Not for anything.

• Locked thread