Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The tone seems a little more sedate with the small cast (and presumably a smaller than never budget.). I like the themes they're engaging with though.

I like to imagine the end of the first episode is what actually has happened to Shirley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This strikes me as more a loose approach to continuity than anything- Britta's character changed quite a bit from the outset and "may be a molestation survivor" was just something they threw out once and never pursued. That I don't even remember what episode it's from may be telling.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This episode worked on many levels. The ad jokes were consistently funny, it was great for Britta, and I think it did a lot to acknowledge and embrace the new status quo- the fact that things are different without Troy, Shirley, and Pierce, and the people left have different lives.

And yeah, kinda love Frankie now. Though Paget Brewster won me over with the Drunk History she narrated ("Moth!")

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Back in season 3 Harmon said Doctor Who existed in the show's universe and was a ripoff of Spacetime. (They'd shown a Who video cover in the D&D episode.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The episode in some ways definitely stretches the show's reality more than usual, and I can see why that didn't work for people (and this WAS an issue with Season 4, where they weren't quite sure how to incorporate most of the goofy conceptual elements people were expecting.)

But still, I'm a sucker for bad moviemaking. I also love the "That's Lobstertainment!" episode of Futurama.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Chris Knight posted:

That was great.

Everybody go watch "Dark Place."

The lack of an R1 release for Darkplace is downright criminal.

drat bastard monkey hands!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Why won't she be mine
I wish I was more attractive like Dagless

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Very strong season finale. I think Season 7 is probably inevitable if only because I really don't think Yahoo went to the trouble of picking this up to make just the one season. Feels like it'd be a waste. But if Season 7 does come around it should absolutely for-certain be the end, and use that time to wrap up everyone's stories.

But anyway, very funny. I liked the "gently caress" during Britta's pitch, because of course her version of the show is a gritty cable drama. And after she was sorta neglected this season, Annie got some very good scenes and we got a sense of where she's been at this time (enjoying being a little immature for now but knowing she's gotta move on.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
My favorite tag is probably still Portuguese Gremlins.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
For me it was the Spanish class presentation. The whole joke of a class presentation becoming this elaborate rambling sketch was funny in and of itself, and playing it out in slow motion with Aimee Mann on the soundtrack was more than I'd been trained to expect.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Also, "I guess there's no hug button."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The major problem with the puppet episode is the puppets themselves- they're the uninspired off-brand Muppety things you see on Christian kids' TV. Granted they had to look like the characters so that's limiting, but it did feel like they didn't do enough visually with the idea (compare to the Claymation or videogame eps and the nice goofy designs there.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm fine with Community being done but Other Space was cool and I'm sad if this means we won't get any more.

(Especially since Milana Vayntrub needs to be in stuff outside of phone commercials.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if I ever got ads either, and I was streaming from my 360.

It's like they thought they could make a video service just because other people were doing so, but they had no back catalogue or other incentive, and didn't really promote themselves.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's hard to say whether or not Community S6 would have been profitable on a well run streaming service, but it's fair to say Yahoo Screen is not that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

The Dark One posted:

Several members of the cast have appeared on the Thrilling Adventure Hour, which you should totally listen to.

I know Paget Brewster was a regular (to the extent that there are regulars) but what are some of the other appearances?

(Working backwards through the podcasts is trickier than it should be.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

This sounds cool but is the tone anything like 30 Rock/Kimmy Schmidt?

In terms of absurdity, yes- there's an episode where one of the characters and her mom go searching for knockoff bags and go combing through this massive black market beneath the streets of New York- but it also has a bit more of a crude, funky vibe.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Ratjaculation posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd0pJ5araUU

this is depressing. and steve fry, why...

Well it looks terrible but hey, Joel McHale has a job again.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Big Bang Theory is not bad, but often just kinda blah. Two Broke Girls is garbage.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'd only seen one of her Drunk History bits (the one about the Pinkerton Detective Agency, guest starring a moth), but I liked her a lot as Frankie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
At the time Community's fourth season was airing I was like "okay, this is acceptable", because Dan Harmon was gone and not coming back and I still liked the cast and just needed a nice final lap around the track.

Then of course Harmon did come back, and seeing the repeats, in the context of the whole series, the episodes just are really not very good. They all feel just a little underdone.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
ISTR that the first episode of the US Office was a lightly rewritten version of one of the UK scripts, so it may just be a quick "we have something to film" decision. But that's the only case I can recall working.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
GLOW is really a breakout for Brie- it's a tougher character than she's had before, because she does some awful things but still needs to be someone we ultimately like, and there are a lot of layers there. And on top of that there's just some great comedy work, including the one woman wrestling match in episode 6.

Like I expected her to be good but it's the best work I've seen from her.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So you mean just sitcoms? Because House of Cards was a British show first as well.

Well in terms of British shows being remade in the US, there are a few other examples- Three's Company, Sanford and Son, at least one more from that period- but I was specifically talking about UK shows remade in the US that used slightly-rewritten versions of the UK scripts. The Office is the one show I can think of that started like that but lasted long enough to do its own thing.

There was a version of Coupling that somehow made it onto TV, but apparently was just the original scripts hacked together to fit a US commercial time slot. It was not well received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I like the fact that Community S3 went so far afield. I like when shows go overboard and do weird things that I don't expect from them. That's how we got The Prisoner.

• Locked thread