Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Here's hoping this limping Frankenstein is good I guess because I don't think Dan can handle another huge meltdown and he's running out of people to blame when things don't go well!

Name one time Dan blamed someone besides himself when "Things didn't go well"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Xelkelvos posted:

They give shout outs to 4chan and reddit but not SA. Even tumblr gets a mention. :crossarms:

the joke of the reddit and 4chan mentions was chang was being a totally lame rear end in a top hat, not that he was making a super hip reference

You know, the guy who literally irl says "do you have stairs in your house???"

chang was being that guy

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

k cool pick we get it

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

^^^christ that post is bad

if you don't like a portrayal that's fine but bringing it up over and over and over and over is just hysterically ranting about something you don't like and it's obnoxious

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MikeJF posted:

Why is a young JFK spooning Dan Harmon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia2HSjp4to0

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

https://screen.yahoo.com/community/abed-dean-share-moment-honda-070100879.html

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DoctorWhat posted:

why is no one posting in this thread anymore?

are you actually regretting that the community thread in tviv isn't getting more posts

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ashpanash posted:

Why would a plumber be fighting a monkey?

Mario was originally supposed to be "a dude" saving his girlfriend from the clearly king kong-inspired Donkey Kong but sprite limitations of the nes forced miyamoto to give him a mustache to define his face, and overalls to define his body, miyamoto then thought the resultant image made the main character into a plumber, the rest is history

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Honda and marketing is quite literally a drug that destroys a couple in this episode

Like you ever met a couple that are both addicts, especially when it's the same drug? it's exaggerated here but the stuff that Rick did at the end of the episode is what for-reals junkie couples do especially when one or both want to get clean- well gently caress it let's blow it OUT one last time, then we quit tomorrow or some poo poo like that

I mean this could not be any less of a flattering light they cast Honda in within the bounds of the episode, it's a metaphorical stand in for fuckin' heroin

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah it's been a very...pleasant season

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

VagueRant posted:

I hated this one. That was some straight up season 4 garbage. Previous eps have usually had some actual jokes. I didn't really enjoy a single line there.

This show really is dead to me and it breaks my loving heart. :smith:

i now pronounce you "free to stop posting about a show you hate"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rexides posted:

Reading constructive criticism (and even angry rants that had a point) in TVIV has helped me enjoy TV shows better. I may not always agree with people's opinions, but actively engaging with the show rather than turning your brain off is a much better experience, and there is nothing wrong with having expectations from the shows you love. Posting about how you hated an episode on the Internet is not necessarily an act of defiance against free entertainment or contempt for people who liked it, it's part of being critical of the entertainment you consume.

there's a difference between being critical and vomiting the same tired vitriol in a thread about a show you clearly hate just to poo poo in people's cornflakes week in and week out

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

It's funny because the post the meltdown guy quoted was pretty fair. I mean he's allowed to not like those kind of jokes.

oh, certainly

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wax Lion posted:

This should be probatable. If a guy is just sharing his opinion and all you can offer in response is this petulant bullshit you're not adding to the conversation. What do you people what this thread to be, a chorus of "another great episode Dan?"

Anyway, what was Harmon thinking not structuring this as the final season? How deluded is he to think he'll ever get even this much of the cast together again if Yahoo's Original Content Folly continues next year? Maybe he could have gotten Donald Glover back if it was clear he was wrapping up the story.

I release you from the shackles of having to read posts you don't like

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

holy poo poo this episode

jesus loving christ

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i think it's fairly likely yahoo renews for s7, i wouldn't like bet on it or anything but from all the loose lips I keep on hearing that community has done really well for yahoo screen

although it's predicated on everyone staying onboard obvs

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

VagueRant posted:

Surprised by all the positive buzz. There were definitely some laughs in there (the line about Abed smelling hair to differentiate brunettes) and the best use of Annie we've seen all season, but man, it exemplifies a lot of what is wrong with the show too.

First, ANOTHER documentary style episode? Remember when they first did this and it was fresh and out of the box an amazing parody of most sitcoms and kind of a gently caress you to them for using a template...Now this is what? The fifth time they've gone to this well? Plus we've got more of the group being unlikeable dickheads to other people and LOTS OF SHOUTING BECAUSE YELLING IS HUMOUR, RIGHT?!

I also can't tell if Jeff's actual alcoholism throughout the season is ever going to be addressed or if it's somehow meant to be funny? I mean they did include that bit where Frankie (who really has had the strongest characterisation of the group) acknowledged that he is basically toxic to Annie.

The main plot had a slightly better arc than most of the aimless eps they've done this year but I think it would have landed better with me if they had given Garret a little heart, fleshed him out as an actual person, something other than an existence as a cartoonish punchline.
Aw, this is loving cruel.

I decree that forums poster VagueRant no longer has to watch this show, he is freed from his thought prison

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I can't believe that a loving sitcom makes me pace and wring my hands with nervousness like it's some deeply affecting drama

jesus christ that finale was perfect

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

3 > 6 > 1 > 5 > 2 > pretty much everything else on television outside of season 1 of parks and rec > 4

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

therobotking posted:

When people say things like "I'm shipping Jeff and Annie" or "I've never shipped them" what does that mean?

I see it all over TV forums and its sometimes weird like "I ship Hannibal and Will" so I'm guessing something sexual because internet but what

it's a dumb bad thing you should never ever pay attention to

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

In It For The Tank posted:

Wolves?! They're biological killing machines. They aren't hunted. They don't give a gently caress what we do. They've been around for five billion more years than us. They've got a mouth full of weapons. They've got six legs.

They've got a kill range of six million meters and if you've seen one, you're already dead

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Drighton posted:

Same. Reminds me of smart, strong, confident Elliott on Scrubs. I think that lasted just a few episodes before she did a 180 and became the complete opposite and putting her foot in her mouth all the time.

yeah but scrubs loving sucked

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hedrigall posted:

Does anyone have any info about Dan Harmon's obsession with story structure, and what his 4-season plan would have been if he hadn't been removed? I'm thinking of that four-quadranted circle that keeps coming up, like in the third season Christmas episode and on background whiteboards in various DVD special features.

a big thing about his planned season 4 was jeff meeting his dad, who would be played by bill murray

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pick posted:

What a loving baby.

You're right, but on the other hand, he didn't go out and explicitly insult a rape victim

So

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pick posted:

There's this really funny story being typed up somewhere about all the things Pick's done, too bad none of them are actually true.

"Sorry that your sex sucked" -forums poster pick, to a person who admitted to being statutory raped

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fog Tripper posted:

Would be so much better if you would only stop posting.

Bears repeating.

you literally posted about how you'd watch an actress sleep, you giant loving weirdo

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

But this is an interesting question: what Harmon-era Community eps would you actually consider worse than the season 4 average? The two that stick out to me are Todd and the godawful Recycled Cinema episode from this latest season.

there's only two legitimate answers, and that's JESUS abed from season 2 and schmitty

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrAristocrates posted:

No one posting in this thread has enjoyed this show in four years.

i greatly enjoyed this season, second best imo, but i will admit i'm an extreme outlier

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Realtalk Dan Harmon is wayyyyy too loving egotistical to kill himself. he's literally said this, verbatim, multiple times

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Calico Heart posted:

Man, this show really was a blight.

nah that's your posting

quote:

Remember when everyone was saying (Harmon included) that if the show didn't have to rely on the archaic nielson system it would be raking in the dollar?

no, what he said was that there was turns of people watching community, but they weren't being counted correctly. which was true! the views for season 6 of community were through the roof! turns out though that they weren't able to be monetized, which is ultimately yahoo's fault

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hey, the money's green

p funny he's going back to NBC though, but again, hey the money's green

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sleeveless posted:

Before Rick & Morty happened he was talking up projects with CBS and Fox that never materialized so I'd take it with a giant grain of unmedicated narcissistic salt.

Those were pilots, not projects, and they weren't picked up- which happens literally all the time with pilots. From what I hear Harmon's already got a series order from Seeso (NBC's new streaming service) which means that they're not equivalent situations at all.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Golden Bee posted:

That's because he didn't write them

dude he had a huge thing in that documentary where he had to spend time on the road writing the pilots

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Harmontown has been a dire, dire podcast for going on half a year or more now

and i say this as one of its biggest fans for almost 2 years

it's some rough, dull, unfunny stuff nowadays

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

he's done this before; his last RealDoll broke due to overuse (Apparently the head fell off)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To be fair his self-loathing isn't far off the mark; he seems like a spectacularly lovely person to be in a relationship with, compounded further by the fact that he knows his own limitations but refuses to address them

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I'd like to break those girls if you know what I mean.

What do you mean, exactly?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Adventure Zone is one of the best podcasts ever made. FatT is basically unlistenable.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DoctorWhat posted:

I haven't tried FatT yet, what makes it unlistenable?

It's a bunch of people aware of fantasy tropes and problematic storytelling trying desperately to avoid any "bad storytelling" pitfalls. So, it comes across as a bunch of pretentious douchebags basically questioning everything they do and waffling, on-air and loudly and repeatedly, about everything because it isn't "character honest" or "respects the rules of the world". I love Austin Walker, but as GM he enables and encourages this behavior so at zero point do they ever feel like the group is involved in cooperative storytelling. It'd be like going to an improv show and every minute or so the group breaks character and goes "Wait, I just don't feel like my character Curtis would believe in this premise, it's really hard for me to yes-and this scenario".

Basically it's a podcast that seems like it was made solely for the enjoyment of its participants over actually being listenable. I can see how fun it might be to do a tabletop RPG campaign where you're constantly philosophizing on the motivations and belief systems that govern the world that's made, but it makes for aggressively unpleasant listening. It's really, really, really, really insufferably pretentious.

dylguy90 posted:

Oh man I just finished the Murder on the Rockport Express series and it was seriously like, on the level of reading a Harry Potter book for the first time level of entertainment. It's amazing how funny all of them are, and when there's a good story for them to bumble through it's just great all around.

Rockport's the high point of TAZ that still hasn't been topped in quality (although the most recent arc is making a good effort so far).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

kayakyakr posted:

So I caught up on The Adventure Zone. Any other similar podcasts worth catching up on?

Harmontown has a D and D podcast that's good until they switch systems. I'll dig up the link to just the D and D portions. Here it is. Listen until they switch to Shadowrun (actually, you should abandon it a couple of episodes before then but that way at least you kind of, sort of get closure on the whole thing. Not really.)

Harmonquest, although not being a podcast, is also pretty good.

PostNouveau posted:

Fun fact: There are no other good D&D podcasts. I know because I've tried them all.

This is generally true, although I would argue Harmontown during D and D is the lone exception - and even then it can be hit or miss, it just turns out Spencer's an incredible DM and Dan's pretty good at improv. Friends at the Table is unlistenable (despite my, numerous, attempts to soldier through and like it) and has awful audio and Nerd Poker might be one of the worst podcasts I've ever had the displeasure of listening to.

TAZ is basically the pinnacle of D and D podcasts (to the point where it could be animated more-or-less untouched and be a genuinely incredible TV show like the Ricky Gervais show on HBO), somewhere far below that but still pretty good is Harmontown, and then there's basically nothing else.

dylguy90 posted:

I mean, I'm ok with that, it was some really top-notch storytelling. I'd still listen even if it never reaches that level again.

Just be aware that Crystal Kingdom is draggy as gently caress and at least twice as long as it needed to be, with two episodes of the arc being straight exposition dumps (one's so bad that Griffin literally apologizes mid-episode for it being solely an exposition dump). It's not bad, because no part of TAZ is bad, but it's the thus-far nadir of the podcast. It's worth struggling through an arc with severe pacing issues and a feeling of it being a total slog because it's both ~SUPER CANONICAL~ and still has some bright spots, but be aware that it seems to be an outlier qualitatively, since this most recent arc is Griffin course-correcting on all the problems that happened during Crystal Kingdom (at one point, he tells his party that it's not gonna be like Crystal Kingdom, which seems to be a metatextual confession that CK kinda got away from him).

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 20, 2016

• Locked thread