Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Oh man, has John Oliver been confirmed as MIA? :smith:

Man, the loss of the main cast is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

kayakyakr posted:

Now let's be fair, Oliver was always a guest role. He had some actual plot in season 5, but main cast is a stretch.
They were separate thoughts, Joliver's absence just reminded me how we've lost Shirley, on top of Troy AND Pierce. :smith:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Death By The Blues posted:

Well gently caress its region blocked.
:smith:

Please tell me when there is a way to watch the show for the rest of us.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I thought they were real messy and kinda not good, but had some funny moments. Watchable, at least? :smith: (Oh and IMPORTANT NOTE to my Non-American bros, the eps are now available elsewhere.)

I like that we got a Shirley scene, but I'm sad it wasn't a proper sendoff but another stupid TV show parody sketch.

And I know this is the nitpickiest thing, but I miss characters having normal names like Jeff Winger, Annie Edison and Troy Barnes, as opposed to Buzz Hickey and Elroy Patashnik. Also why didn't Buzz get any kind of sendoff?!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

"I once mistook six people for you at a pharmacy" is the best leonard joke in years.
Yeah, that was easily the best gag.

Oh Snapple! posted:

For the life of me I still don't know why you bother to watch...well, loving anything, really.
See! I can like things!

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 18, 2015

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
No, Prof Slater was Jeff's dark haired girlfriend from season 1, rival to Britta's affections.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think both the Chang and Dean stories had intensely unsatisfying ends, but there were some nice character moments and funny bits. (Elroy snapping at Britta was the best - "Insects have wings!" "S-sorry...") And Mantzouks! Why is he so good at playing terrible people?

Also gotta say I have never liked the school board guys. Their reappearance made me sigh.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Guys...I hate it.

What was even the arc there? Prisoner tries to kill Jeff for...not being a very good teacher. Jeff doesn't like prisoner for this. Prisoner gets popular with the school and the Dean which Jeff also doesn't like. Then the stupid wedding parody thing? Prisoner story resolves with him not being a murderer despite weakly attempting to kill Jeff. And gently caress all the other prisoners at the end - no rehabilitation for them!

Any lessons learned? Jeff realises he should appreciate the Dean more? Is that it? Is Jeff still a bad teacher? Why include the critique on his teaching or the attempted murder if the plot boiled down to a stupid jealousy cliché?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
What happened to Buzz Hickey anyway? (I know Jonathan Banks had to do Better Call Saul - but did they offer any in-universe explanation?)

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Still not feeling it...Their argument over the emails brought me back to some old fashioned Community characterisation but then they all just started talking over each other again and you're like "is this meant to be funny?"

And they referenced Winger speeches. I miss those. I get that it shouldn't be a crutch ala the Scrubs narration wrapup, but man. Some of those were great and it was so Jeff. How long has it been?

PostNouveau posted:

Buzz Hickey Memorial Services in the lunch lady's email :(
Goddamn it. :smith: Sucks that they killed off another character, and that they did it like that.

Spacebump posted:

"And frankly haven't been well utilized since." Chang.
Okay, that was pretty funny. (But only because it was so true.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

Somewhere along the way, Abed became a composite of Abed and Troy.
I still don't understand why he smiles so much now and this kinda explains it.

Was there a gradual change there? Abed's blank face and occasional forced expressions really sold his character and condition.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Death By The Blues posted:

Also, Billy Zane was wasted, that entire silly gag about him "disappearing" has been done a million times.
Yeah, that was pretty loving hack.

I kinda like Frankie. She's the Buzz Hickey of this season where she seems like an interesting, likeable, three dimensional character who will sadly never get the focus or reach their potential.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
More important question - does Jeff really use pomade? Because that hair looks more waxed to me.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I hated this one. That was some straight up season 4 garbage. Previous eps have usually had some actual jokes. I didn't really enjoy a single line there.

This show really is dead to me and it breaks my loving heart. :smith:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Seasons 1 and 2 of Community were literally the highlight of the past five years of my absurdly pathetic life, that's why it hurts me so much to see it be so bad, mister mean goon.

This is pretty great though.

Toxxupation posted:

i now pronounce you "free to stop posting about a show you hate"
can you do this for Arrow too because season 3 is slowly killing me

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
This might have been the worst episode of Dan Harmon helmed Community ever for me. :smith:

There was no effort in that story. It was this really half-hearted, bashed out non-arc, that didn't really do anything. And worst of all, there were no real jokes. There were a few "hey here's something wacky and random that isn't actually funny and also doesn't inform character, and isn't clever."

How can the show that only one season ago had the line "Cirque Du So Long, you high-stepping acrobastards" have anything to do with this drivel?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I hated both. That was literally bad TV and the 28 minute running time is insufferable.

Jeff's reaction to Britta squeezing through a giant hand was funny. But that was the only gag I even remember in the entire ep.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
They stopped toeing the line of Abed's meta-ness when they had him turn to the camera and speak directly to the audience at the end of season 5. The flashback things were a little much in this, but they were also really repetitive and annoying and completely pointless.

I'm surprised the tags this season are so popular. They all feel like Family Guy cutaway gags and are weirdly dull. I remember when we had fun times with the study group, and clever, inventive Spanish raps instead of "it's like a parody of promo for a TV show but it's WACKY and ZANY because that's still funny the third time, right?"

Naet posted:

This was particularly noticeable on this episode where almost nothing happened and none of the story or jokes were earned.
What even was the intention of the incredibly dragged out scene where Keith David very slowly finds the nest of charging phones while being in ironic denial that the group could be that stupid? It went on for so long with its obvious conclusion and lack of a punchline.

You talk about them earning the story, here we've got an Almost-Bottle-Episode where the characters continue to act like terrible, unreasonable children and bicker for no good reason. You look back at Cooperative Caligraphy in season 2 and you can totally relate to the characters, they have sensible reasons to be angry with each other that all stem from their unique characterisation.

This season every time the group argue it's just noise.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
If you go back and watch the intro, Silver Ballz kinda sounds like Kumail and it wasn't a white hand on the trigger. As for why his paintballs weren't silver at the end - he did run out of ammo during the cafeteria shootout?

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Ok that was one of the first legit hilarious episodes in a long time.

DoctorWhat posted:

i ship anne/abed after every paintball episode

Punch Card posted:

the five seconds where Kumail makes fun of how Danny Pudi can't pass for (part) Arabic.
Basically agree with all of these.

There were still some bad non-jokes, (Koogler's whole schtick, the Dean's awkward moment was dragged out and Abed's punchline with no joke at the end...) but there were also funny ones again! Even just Chang immediately getting gunned down was a great beat. Plus a nice little arc with Frankie and Jeff, and some cool action! The Cap 2 inspired Dean fight was amazing.

It's nice to be positive about the show again. :unsmith:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

According to Reddit.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Surprised by all the positive buzz. There were definitely some laughs in there (the line about Abed smelling hair to differentiate brunettes) and the best use of Annie we've seen all season, but man, it exemplifies a lot of what is wrong with the show too.

First, ANOTHER documentary style episode? Remember when they first did this and it was fresh and out of the box an amazing parody of most sitcoms and kind of a gently caress you to them for using a template...Now this is what? The fifth time they've gone to this well? Plus we've got more of the group being unlikeable dickheads to other people and LOTS OF SHOUTING BECAUSE YELLING IS HUMOUR, RIGHT?!

I also can't tell if Jeff's actual alcoholism throughout the season is ever going to be addressed or if it's somehow meant to be funny? I mean they did include that bit where Frankie (who really has had the strongest characterisation of the group) acknowledged that he is basically toxic to Annie.

The main plot had a slightly better arc than most of the aimless eps they've done this year but I think it would have landed better with me if they had given Garret a little heart, fleshed him out as an actual person, something other than an existence as a cartoonish punchline.

Avulsion posted:

http://i.imgur.com/bPq8frE.jpg
Aw, this is loving cruel.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The silent shot of Jeff hugging Annie and Abed goodbye was sweet. I smiled seeing Shirley and Annie do their girly high five. I actually enjoyed the HarmonRant at the end, the Nielsen thing is super interesting. Oh and Paget's line about nailing it!

The pitches were kinda funny, but man, I wish they hadn't replayed the theme so many times.

The meta stuff was a little much for me, and kinda lost sight of the characterisation, but who even are the characters any more and who is left and what happened to the show and I don't even know what to think or if I should care and the show maybe knows that and and and...

Capntastic posted:

Even if I don't get the whole Jeff/Annie relationship.
Yeahhhhh, that was a little weird. What happened at the end of season 5 again with the stupid computer that looked into Jeff's heart? Was he torn about Annie and Britta again, or was he all about Annie?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I met some folks recently who were trying to sell me on Harmontown. Is there a good place to start on it or anything? Am I supposed to go all the way back to the beginning?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

gently caress the video game episode immediately after is terrible though.
Eh? I thought this was the best episode of season 3. (Easily picked it over the Rashomon one.)

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas is literally the only good Christmas based piece of media outside of Die Hard. What is wrong with you people?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I mean, that did seem to be the takeaway from that episode, which was quite strange that it never really came up again.

It hit a little close to home for me, 'cause I am always trying not to be the sneering aloof guy who would be like "Don't sing."

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I finally got to play DnD recently and it was the ep in season 2 that got me and a couple of friends to try it.

Kinda made me want to go back and watch the DnD ep in season 5. Wondering if any of the other season 5-6 eps are worth another look?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlvZtXTEMug&t=52s
Chevy could nail it from time to time, dudez. Really miss that Scrubs-esque heart the show had in the first two seasons.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yvette was wonderful and when the writers did have poo poo for her she loving nailed it.

"The word he's looking for is "sassy." He better pray he don't find it."
Beautiful line! There was definitely a lot of squandered potential with them finding stuff for her to do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjk3Ti0ck1M&t=33s
Even her face here looking for Vaughn's nipples gets me every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I get a bit annoyed at people acting like there's all these revelations about Chevy when the cast were talking openly about his abusive racist language way back in the season 2 commentaries. Old White Man Says twitter in the show itself was inspired by the cast joking about "Who said it? Pierce or Chevy?"

Never mind him just generally being hard to work with and holding things up on set, outright refusing to shoot scenes (like the intended scene at the end of the video game episode with Abed).

At the same time you'll hear him (even in the infamous actual voicemail) crediting Dan Harmon's sharper writing even when he criticises him. And Harmon acknowledges Chevy as a legend, even if he's a nightmare to work with. The whole "feud" is so ridiculously overblown when there's a mutual respect between these two (kinda scummy) guys. There's a reason getting Harmon back got Chevy back to do that one cameo.

So yeah, Dan Harmon getting booted off the show was almost certainly nothing to do with this silly feud, or his creepin' on Megan Ganz - in his own words it had more to do with his rampant substance abuse.

Guy Mann posted:

The Asian racism episode of Kimmy Schmidt was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen.
Tell me more?

• Locked thread