Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
The first episode was pretty meh. Abed already said everything I would want to say about 'Frankie,' and what the admittedly boring character promised to bring (efficiency and results) sounds like something a comedy show about loser failures doesn't need.

The second episode was significantly better. The dean running in that VR machine was exactly as majestic as he believed it was. Not sure about you, but that font made me larger if y'know what I mean (it gave me a benign tumor). I think Britta's parents helped her out because they, like, wanted her not to be homeless? I heard somewhere that having to poo poo in a bucket and/or sell yourself into prostitution sucked. Her friends being in on it and guilting her about it was weird. But then, her friends are weird.

Hopes for the season: Annie and Abed start dating, and things get super duper uncomfortable for everybody on the show as a result.

teamcharlie fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
Best Honda commercial I've seen all year. I hope they keep working to get rid of all that 'humor' they had in those crappy first few seasons so Community can truly get to new heights of product placement.

Ooh, what would happen if Toyota and Honda sponsored the same episode?

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
"Digital Exploration of Interior Design," aka "The One With the Character Subway In It' was a great episode. A pillow fort became a serious exploration of a nation in a state of civil war. Britta fell for a character (Subway) who literally represented the corporate machine she hated, and the episode dealt with that tension. The product placement worked as a plot point without making either the show or the brand look bad, and there's no good reason to pretend it hurt the episode.

I don't know what "Advanced Safety Features" aka "Buy a Honda You Piece of poo poo" was about aside from reminding people that a brand of car exists. The hurting-deep-inside-a-sweet-corporate-candy-shell character Subway turns into Rick, a massive douchebag, with a shaky at best explanation as to what completely killed his humanity. Elroy reveals that he's been a '90s-themed recluse for twenty years thanks to a failed relationship with a woman who he has absolutely no chemistry with once they finally meet up again. Frankie goes from being a corporate drone with no personality to being somebody who notices the most basic fact about the dean (he's an idiot? Why didn't anybody tell me before?!) and can't shut up about it, but otherwise still has no personality. Britta immediately wants to settle down with somebody and have a family now that she doesn't completely hate her parents. You don't have to give a gently caress one way or the other about capitalism to think that this episode sucked.

At least the Dean killed it. Jim Rash is clearly too much of an actor to give anything less than 140%, even considering that this season completely fumbled his character coming out of the closet and removed any overt reference to the Dean's love of yiffing (the Dean's 'political.' Because that's what you call it now when a dude in a Tina Turner costume fucks two other dudes in dog suits).

teamcharlie fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 25, 2015

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
I don't know how I could still be disappointed by an episode after the Honda cocksucking marathon, but it happened. 'Character development' has sanded off all the interesting bits from every character, and now even their retarded adventures aren't fun anymore.

Oh no, the group got grifted out of a relatively small sum of money! Fortunately everybody's a sufficiently functional adult such that the problem was resolved in a timely manner. Hilarity does not ensue at all.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
I kept hoping that one of the times Abed tried to initiate a flashback he'd poo poo his pants instead. Then he might have had to deal with an actual problem for a minute. Otherwise, tolerable episode. It had a higher Dean quota than usual for this season, which always helps. As a metaphor for the show, I think what the RV that is Community was running low on was 'jokes.'

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
So, uh, who won paintball this time? There was apparently a 'big cash prize' that maybe got put up by City College, but...?

It sure was nice of the writers to have Jeff explain that he liked Frankie, rather than trying to rely on her winning personality to charm the audience. Otherwise we might be a little concerned that she threatened to fire faculty and staff on a whim, forced teachers and students to wear baby bonnets and read humiliating statements to herself (in her position as an administrator), and expelled Alex 'Star Burns' without a hearing.

If I had to make one real criticism, it's that even with a premise like, "Oh man! That group of TV characters is playing paintball at a school! And there are scenes that look sorta like scenes from action movies!" the jokes don't actually write themselves. You have to write the jokes. Otherwise, you get an episode of a comedy show that doesn't have jokes and isn't funny, just like this episode.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
This clip keeps running through my head every time I see another lovely/unfunny episode of this garbage season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x48Hq9F4Q70

Fans: Was that really necessary?
Dan Harmon: You have to defile Community completely or it'll come back to life. You know that.

teamcharlie fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 27, 2015

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
I'm sure I'm missing something here.

Community, for five seasons, was a comedy show. Season four was considered the worst season because it was the shittiest and least funny. Season six just Goddamn stopped being funny halfway in and never got its jokes back. The finale to season six showed a whole bunch of possible versions of 'season seven,' none of which are even funny let alone comedies in their own rights.

Where the gently caress are the torches and pitchforks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
I think I was just too dazzled by all the great mysteries to solve in season 7 to truly appreciate the wonders of the season 6 finale.

What will happen to Elroy working at non-funny real company Linkedin?
Does Frankie really go muff diving? Does she have a boyfriend? Is she a robot who plugs into the wall at night?
Does the Dean still have any function on the show aside from official comic foil?
Will Britta really move into Annie's room?

And I'll never forget great lines like "*Fart noise* And so on..." or that amazing kiss that Annie says she'll probably forget about in a little while anyway because she's in her 20s.

Truly the greatest season finale we've ever had. Season seven will happen, and it will prove once and for all that real fans have no need of your petty 'jokes.'

• Locked thread