Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

That Irish Guy posted:

:lol: Frankie sleeps with a copy of Fountainhead next to her bed.

I about died laughing when I saw that. Of course she's into Ayn Rand.

I just caught up on this series tonight. So far, it's not too bad. I like how they're incorporating and handling texting.

And when Frankie announces again that she doesn't own a TV, the look that Elroy shoots her is priceless. And it goes on for almost long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I thought it was really funny, and actually a little serious with the whole "token gay" part of the story. I think they cheapened it when Gaydean came out as a politician, though. I would have preferred he call the press conference, tell them that he's going to completely step out of the pocket, and then cut to the hallway where the press corps hurriedly leaves the room with looks of confused disgust on their faces. That way we get to know that the other 5/7ths of the Dean's personality is pretty juicy indeed without the cheap cop-out.

But I don't write the show, so whatever.

And I didn't see the direction that the stage play rehearsals was going. That was done very well. And everything about Mantzoukas's performance was hilarious. So ridiculously over the top.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

Was the motto of Greendale always "E Pluribus Anus?" The logo was very unsubtle too, might as well have had goatse...

That was from the NBC days, actually, and I'm glad they kept it. I'd almost forgotten about it. The anus-like logo in the middle of the flag was chosen or approved or whatever because, as I think Jeff put it, "the Dean kept refusing to see [that it was an anus]."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I watched episode 1 (this season) again, and I just noticed that apparently, the original name for the school, or at least the name it had when old dudes were younger, was "Greendale Computery College."

I'm sure that's already been mentioned, but I love that word: computery. It conveys what would have been a new-age, futuristic, and really important new technology using a word that appears to have been made up by a 4-year-old. At its genesis, Greendale wasn't playing with a full deck.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Isn't Mantzoukas also in The League?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
OK... I like Britta's definition of "hoist by his own petard."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Rochallor posted:

It would have been hilarious if they got Donald Glover to come back for a cameo and that was all there was to it.

In an interview, they could ask why he didn't do more in the episode, and he simply says, "I'm getting too old for this poo poo."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Brocktoon posted:

Wish I could have watched the episode last night but the Yahoo Screen app for Xbox 360 is a piece of poo poo. I wish there was a better way to get the show on my TV.

I don't have an XBox 360 or a PS(Whatever), just a WiiU. And if there's a Yahoo Screen app for it, I have yet to find it. Finding anything that isn't a game is a chore.

So, we've been hooking up the laptop to the TV via an HDMI cable. It works very well, but Yahoo Screen is just choppy sometimes.

As for the episode... it was worth it for that wonderful scene where Frankie finally comes as close to breaking down over the Dean's immense stupidity as anyone who sleeps with an Ayn Rand book on the nightstand possibly can. She can't ask the questions because they all end with idiot... do you know what I mean--don't answer, you'll get it wrong....

Hilarious.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 22, 2015

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
See, this is what happens when you don't greek the name brands.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
That closing bit in this episode... just amazing. Totally unnecessary, it does nothing for (or against) the plot, it's like they went out of their way to extrapolate on the episode's MacGuffin...

... and dammit if it wasn't just about, if not the, best part of the episode.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I loved this episode. I assumed SilverBallz was the Deputy Custodian from about the first time we were introduced to the character, and I think that holds true. Then again, SilverBallz could just be a MacGuffin.

Doesn't matter. I loved this episode, especially Frankie's attitude toward paintball. "It was fun for awhile, but now, mommy's home." Her character is probably becoming my favorite, although Jeff instinctively being badass, something he can't turn off, was great.

The Dean accidentally killing everyone in the elevator (except for the last one, which looked purposeful)? Priceless. Dean even got some quality time (as in, not-butt-monkey time), and was joking with Jeff while they tracked down the DC.

XMNN posted:

Does anyone else still get confuse that Frankie isn't actually Monica off of Friends?

... Not really. I don't think they look all that much alike.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I don't know. I don't own a TV.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

HD DAD posted:

I finally realized who Todd reminds me of in this episode, and it had been nagging me ever since his first appearance.

Really?

I've been getting a young Donny Osmond vibe from him.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I'm only halfway through, but this is so far the best episode I've seen in many years, and far and away, I'm having more laughs than with any other S6 episode.

I love how the theme changes a little. It gets quicker in places, kind of like that Butters-centric episode of South Park, but when Britta's comes up? I about died laughing.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
OK, done with the final.

Why is it the best TV series finale wasn't on TV? I've seen far too many sad and depressing finales that weren't sad and depressing in the way the writers intended. Roseanne, Seinfeld... those two spring immediately to mind. But this one is right up there with Parks & Recreation. Hilarious where it needed to be, bittersweet, and just open-ended enough that while it's clear there probably won't be any more Community, if there is, they won't have to cheat the ending to make it happen.

Good stuff.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

My favorite tag is probably still Portuguese Gremlins.

Heat will make them evil.
Salt will make them multiply.
They are attracted to love.
They hate Christmas.
Holy water returns them to good.
Rainbows will make them more evil than the first time.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I am a fan of the Soup, and I only gave Community a try because my wife made me. I figured it'd be just a gigantic, steaming pile of canned army surplus taco meat.

But, in the early days, even though it was a pretty standard sitcom, I still liked it. Even formulaic shows can be enjoyable if they're done well enough. (Just not as good as more original shows.) But later on, when it started playing around with the genre more and more, I really started digging it.

Someone brought up the Halloween episodes, and my favorite was the zombie one. It manages to toss a "Treehouse of Horror"-style non-canon, continuity-be-damned episode into a show that should not really have one of those types of episodes. (The scene where the Dean is on the phone and the government takes over the call the instant he reads something from the back of the container was hilarious.)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Irish Joe posted:

It turns out being a snotty know-it-all doesn't endear you to audiences.

I don't know that she was being so much of a snotty know-it-all as she was being just a very annoying contrarian. Everything was a social issue, no matter what anyone was talking about--Britta was there to remind everyone SOCIAL ISSUE. When played straight, this gets old pretty quickly, because most people hate those kinds of people in real life because everyone knows someone who is exactly like that in real life. If you've been to college, then you've known a few dozen people like that in real life. Sometimes, it makes you think. Sometimes, it broadens your horizons. Never does it make you giggle.

Take the same person and make him or her an idiot, and all of the sudden, it's quite funny. Well, funnier than when played straight, and funnier to a larger number of people. It turned Britta from that rear end in a top hat who we all know in real life to that absurd character who doesn't really exist in real life, making it safe to laugh at her. And deep down, we all want contrarians to be idiots, don't we? Assuming we don't already believe that they are, that is.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

ETB posted:

Frankie monologuing to how dumb the Dean is: likely the best scene in Season 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PngPQluO1jI

"Don't answer that—you'll get it wrong."

Love that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

(ahem)

Ha.

That is all that needs to be said.

• Locked thread