Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tartan Target
Jun 1, 2001

Loved both episodes, really reassuring start to the season. Frankie seems like a good fit character-wise - she offers the same sort of moral/reality anchor point for the group in the way that Shirley did, but she seems like it'll be a lot easier for Harmon and the staff to write for her. As much as I loved they had a Christian single-mother on the character on a show like that, they clearly never quite knew what to do with her.

Also, exterior shots. I had no idea how much I missed them. Immediately throws more of a sense of reality in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tartan Target
Jun 1, 2001

Milovan Drecun posted:

NEVER is a strong word when they executed Shirley's character perfectly in Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples (Abed as Jesus), and she did have a great role kind of making fun of herself for the early run. There were just too many episodes (like Troy's 21st birthday) that refused to resolve things with her, and others that just faded her out entirely.

Fair point, I guess I just felt like those moments of playing to her character strengths just became smaller and more spread out as the show went on.

That's a good point, though. They introduced the idea that Shirley was secretly getting drunk in that bar to the point that her photographs were all over the wall, but they never came back to it. The only other reference to Shirley possibly being an alcoholic was in the 'darkest time-line'. It's a shame, because that seems like something that could've had some mileage to it, but oh well.

Edit: Also, I'm probably the only one who this bothered, but the whole "Jesus wept" bit is a mis-quote of a mis-quote. It should be Alexander, not Jesus (Jesus wasn't really about conquering anything) and even then, the quote everyone remembers - "Alexander wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer" comes word-for-word from Die Hard.

I honestly don't know how much I care about it, though.

Tartan Target fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 22, 2015

Tartan Target
Jun 1, 2001

I figured that's what it was, but my robot-brain started working in smaller and smaller circles until I found myself obsessively reading Wikipedia entries about the quote.

Jesus wept.

• Locked thread