Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Argh, $2200 for the circular Greendale sign. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hedrigall posted:

Yes, I remember Matt "Literally the most recognisable British comedian" Lucas

:confused:

I would recognize Stewart Lee way before him. And the one who dresses up like a lady. And Frankie Boyle (he's got a giant beard now, right?). And David Mitchell -- does he count? I don't actually have any idea who Matt Lucas is. :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I know who Russell Brand is, but only because of HP Touchpad commercials.

Oh, I know who he is, too. He seems like a pretty good guy, and gets poo poo for being political and thoughtful because he used to be a partying lunatic.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sefer posted:

David Mitchell I know from Mitchell and Webb, Matt Lucas I know from Little Britain, never heard of anyone else being mentioned.

Stewart Lee is pretty awesome. Everybody should check him out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99s19HBs-6A

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well in terms of British shows being remade in the US, there are a few other examples- Three's Company, Sanford and Son, at least one more from that period-

All In The Family

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I hope Harmontown is back on this weekend. :pray:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Escobarbarian posted:

Wow, that’s really good of her.

Listening to Dan's apology/confession is pretty rough (he gets close to crying at least once), but I'm glad she likes it. Makes me believe things can work out okay sometimes. :unsmith:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm not sure I buy the idea that this is why he was fired.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Well, it could be that some executives at either NBC or Sony knew about this, but then the Chevy voicemail thing happened and they saw it as "let's use this as our out before this draws any further attention to that toxic work environment and the story goes from being about two crotchety old men yelling at each other to being about one of our showrunners harassing one of his writers."

I doubt people in Hollywood cared back then.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Steve Vader posted:

I read/skimmed all of that but I missed anything that would qualify as “spilling the tea” on Tina Fey. What did I miss?

He noted that his own skin color had surely influenced his career, beginning with his first job, as a writer on “30 Rock.” “I wondered, Am I being hired just because I’m black?” Tina Fey, the show’s creator and star, told me that the answer was in large part yes; she admired Glover’s talent but hired him because funds from NBC’s Diversity Initiative “made him free.”

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pakled posted:

In one episode of Kimmy Schmidt, a black character puts on a one-man show where he plays a Japanese woman. A bunch of angry Asian "social justice warriors" (I hate that term but that's what they were obviously supposed to be) from the internet show up to the show to protest his cultural appropriation. His one-man show turns out to be beautiful, respectful of the culture, and touching, and all the SJWs are blown away and decide to chill out. The episode was overall rather dismissive of real issues of minority representation in media.

They talked about this kind of cultural appropriation a couple times on "Whiting Wongs". I think the conclusion was "Wu-Tang are the coolest guys ever, and they're doing it with respect".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/danharmon/status/974132657138237440

• Locked thread