Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I suspect/hope it'll be like the Pulp Fiction episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That was great but after the first episode I was really hoping that we'd get a clip from Shirley at the end of every one. Hint at the plot arc of the fake show.

Also now I wanna go print out a google cardboard.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 18, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also pretty sure the solution to half their problems is a liquor licence for an on-campus bar.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zoXdWRhCFY

Also:

quote:

Name:
Britta Perry

Hometown:
Riverside, CO

Course focus:
Advanced Pigeon Hole Avoidance. With all apologies to the factory, I guess you'll have to consider this unit "uncategorized" for now.

About me:
What is this exactly? I should tell you about myself? There's a word for that. Deposition. Here's some other people I have to "tell about myself:" Internal Revenue. Police. And on my eleventh birthday, an eager-handed man in a dinosaur costume whose side my father took when I told the owner of the restaurant. After I tell you about myself, then what, then you know me? This is how you understand what someone else is about? Maybe you can't fit someone into a box of text. Let's explore that possibility. The human experience is wider than my class schedule and what high school I went to. Okay, I dropped out of high school so I could write the word "lies" on newspaper boxes. Moving up in the world, I started vandalizing billboards and made friends with a small group of anarchist billboard vandals, coordinating into a larger, more successful group, which then voted to kick me out because they were anarchists. Now they're an advertising firm and you can go on Facebook and see photos of their children, who have names like Hemingway and Chomsky and who are seated in the backs of SUVs. Joined the Peace Corps, did some foot modeling, got tear gassed at a world trade rally, went to Africa, woke up one day and realized I was almost thirty and flat broke. So... I got my G.E.D. and here I am: crawling back to society. High five yourself.

Inspirational quote:
"A lot of the people who call themselves left I would regard as proto-fascists." - Noam Chomsky

Favorite Movie:
Sixteen Candles

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 18, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Why is a young JFK spooning Dan Harmon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tartan Target posted:

Edit: Also, I'm probably the only one who this bothered, but the whole "Jesus wept" bit is a mis-quote of a mis-quote. It should be Alexander, not Jesus (Jesus wasn't really about conquering anything)

:thejoke:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

I can see what Dan meant about feeling like he was dragging his brain across a stone floor.

What's this quote?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Would watch the poo poo out of that Karate Kid adaptation. This season has been great, that episode was great, and I love the fact that Dan can write a standard episode that has a runtime of 30 minutes now because he doesn't have to conform to standard lengths (although I thought this season airs on TV in some places? Intrigued what they do then, maybe there's a TV cut).

Is there a targeted time or is he allowed to vary by a few minutes to whatever the episode suits now?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That was a pretty drat good ad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Allison Brie probably has the most promising developing career, if anyone leaves next it'll be her.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, I figured outright murdering the bird would be too harsh, but something was going to happen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

tarlibone posted:

That was from the NBC days, actually, and I'm glad they kept it. I'd almost forgotten about it. The anus-like logo in the middle of the flag was chosen or approved or whatever because, as I think Jeff put it, "the Dean kept refusing to see [that it was an anus]."

It was a gag entry by Jeff that accidentally got approved because the Dean didn't see it.

The best joke about that was the season 2 finale when the City College cock-and-balls skyscraper logo was hoisted into the Greendale anus after the takeover.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 1, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, all I know about it is that a bunch of American media loves to reference it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

Donglover is in Magic Mike 2.

I wonder if he strips. He's ripped as gently caress.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I never noticed the pictograms before. :allears:

I wonder if anyone ever followed that QR code. I'd need an HD shot... (EDIT: It translates to "Greetings From Greendale Community College".)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 11, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man, one thing I really miss about the early seasons is Britta being able to match Jeff in verbal sparring and instantly calling all of his bullshit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

i just rewatched all of (non-med school) scrubs and

1) Tom Cavanagh is incredible in it (when he shows up)

2) JD is unbearable

3) I liked the interns in that last season and wish the show had been about them instead.

The turnaround in quality for season eight was amazing, you gotta respect it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's kinda sad, because season 8 only worked because they knew they were done and it was the last original cast season, so they were allowed to take all the characters away from what they'd been for 7 seasons and progress into new stages of their lives and become much more mature.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

superjew posted:

I thought they were implying recently that Britta is pretty good (read: not the worst) at bartending. There are a few scenes where someone asks her for a drink and they seem to make a point of showing her quickly plunking down a well crafted drink.

And when she opened her own secret bootleg bar her talents for decorating and bartending mixed together.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

Does anyone have any info about Dan Harmon's obsession with story structure, and what his 4-season plan would have been if he hadn't been removed? I'm thinking of that four-quadranted circle that keeps coming up, like in the third season Christmas episode and on background whiteboards in various DVD special features.

Doesn't the clock in Troy and Abed's rap in the Glee episode point to where they are on that circle too?

Bown posted:

Rewatched Remedial Chaos Theory. I bet Shirley's pies burned in the real timeline too because she got distracted dancing to Roxanne.

Yeah, but she can't blame them for it because she was there and she was having a good time, so all's well that ends well, I guess.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 18, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Season one represents when they're still attached to their old, lacking lives but discovering that they need something more than what they used to have, season two is the true crazy of Greendale showing itself and them adapting and getting sucked in, season three is them having discovered a sense of fulfillment as a result of their new friendships but then paying the psychological price for the insanity that is the school (the dark year), and season 4 would have been them emerging out the other side into real life having been changed for the better by it.

There's probably a more detailed breakdown of how it all fits together, and I'll bet you could do one for each character's individual journey, but I'm not Dan Harmon.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 18, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

But will there be a (n online) movie?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If there is a movie, I'll lay decent odds it'll be a timeskip of a few years, everyone's moved on a bit, and it's in part about Abed having pitched the concept of Community as a sitcom. (remember, Dan Harmon was inspired by his own college study group, so I feel like that level of meta circle would please him)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

El Tortuga posted:

Also, why are you still posting Irish Joe? Community has ended. Shouldn't you have been set free like the Genie in Aladdin?

I was thinking more 'sucked back into the evil lamp like Jafar'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

It's probably a study of how American and UK TV stars have such a disparity of attractiveness.

See also: Red Dwarf US pilot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The communitary's pretty great, it's nice to hear all the little details. Like they deliberately stopped editing out Danny Pudi's natural smiles and things more and more as season six progressed to ramp up to the idea of him being functional enough to leave for LA at the end.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Calico Heart posted:

Man, this show really was a blight.

Remember when everyone was saying (Harmon included) that if the show didn't have to rely on the archaic nielson system it would be raking in the dollar?

Did they ever say that? They just said that they SHOULD have been showing as better than they were, and would've been raking it in on TV if the numbers were accurate. But a few ads on yahoo screen isn't going to rake in the dollar no matter what.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So when do we get a wrap-up movie made by Dan and Joel in Dan's basement? Everyone else will be played by cardboard cutouts but it'll be because it's experimental and meta.

Dan's going through some stuff right now so he's gonna have some great nihilism to put onscreen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ashpanash posted:

I'm happy they did it because we got twelve mostly pleasant new episodes of the show and the great finale it deserved.

This is me, really. I feel like with season 6, Community ended in a good place. It was a long and tortured road, but I'm happy.

I mean I'd be happier if Sony put out 'And a Movie', direct to DVD, but it's unlikely. And to be fair I mainly want it because of payoff to the six seasons and a movie thing. The finale was amazing.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 21, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dan Harmon once joked about the movie just being him filming Joel McHale in a basement on a phone camera for 90 minutes, but I could totally see him doing it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You quit QI and went to this?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, can someone tell me the target demographic of that show?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah! Wonder who he'll play.

Maybe a cameo named Miles. Although they might get in hot water for not casting a Black Hispanic if they did that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah, I missed one of the writers tweeting this shot of the finale script.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The commentary track on Total Rickall suggests that Dan is pretty touchy when it comes to how 4th wall breaking or meta stuff is presented.

Well, there was always an in-universe justification for fourth-wall-breaking lines and stuff in Community, whereas Rick straight up breaks the fourth wall probably cos he knows he's in a TV show.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I suspect the movie will involve Abed getting greenlit for a TV series inspired by his experiences at community college. (Community was inspired by Harmon's own community college study group)

Maximum vanishing up its own arse.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It reminds me of the US Red Dwarf with hot Lister and girl Cat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Genuinely, though, there's like a 90% chance it's about Abed getting a sitcom picked up based on the study group, much like Community was based on Harmon's real life Community College study group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He could write great Shirley, just not consistently and during everyone else's stuff.

• Locked thread