Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

ashpanash posted:

Apparently they are going up at 3AM EST/12AM PST tonight (or tomorrow if you want to look at it that way.)
PDT. We're in Daylight Time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

There should definitely be a link to the page where we can see episodes of Community on Yahoo! Screen in the OP.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I finally watched them. They were both pretty good, I enjoyed the first one and laughed way more at the second.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

The tags are throwing me a bit. The way all the episodes have had the tags before the credits made me wonder if they were sticking non-essential scenes at the end that can be edited out for broadcast to fit in time, but then if that's the case why not just have the tags during the credits like they used to.
look at this scrub who doesn't appreciate clean credits

Having a tag during credits was a necessity of broadcast. Online you may as well not bother, but if you do you should definitely take advantage of the medium and not obscure the tag with credits. imo

pwn
May 27, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

You people complaining about Britta being poo poo on have obviously never seen the league.
Or Parks and Rec. I enjoyed the show overall but I will maintain until my dying day: It was incredibly sloppy and lazy comedy writing the way they leaned on the Jerry Sucks theme.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Possibly Chicken posted:

Bear Down/Fat Dog
IT'S A BEAR DANCE!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Eh, they can't all be winners.

pwn
May 27, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Buzz Hickey Memorial Services in the lunch lady's email :(

Garrett's Food Allergies [Updated]

pwn
May 27, 2004

Natalie Is Freezing is like Hootie & The Blowfish or Better Than Ezra. I like this joke. This joke pleases me. :)

pwn
May 27, 2004

Takoluka posted:

Are there any links to posts from previous threads where people complained for pages that Subway was advertised extensively as a season finale?
Giving a cursory look over the immediate post-show chat in 313's thread, there is mostly just people saying they want to go eat Subway to support the show.

Most of us probably aren't going to casually buy a Honda this Friday, maybe that has something to do with it? :shrug:

pwn
May 27, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

That's how I feel about it. There's great stuff, but the show's kind of rough and worn out. Still much better than The Office in its sixth season.

Yeah. My Office DVD collection ends with S5. S6 was a real uneven year, it did improve in subsequent seasons but I just didn't care about the characters anymore. But I do like this season of Community and I'll definitely be getting the S6 DVD when it comes out.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I loved this week's. Last week's was kinda lower but this was pretty good. The "Entertainer" leitmotif was wonderful, extending to the opening theme song.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Enderzero posted:

I really enjoyed the sound effects as they performed the worst briefcase switch of all time.
Yeah, that was absolutely superbly timed and executed.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Martman posted:

I just rewatched the pilot for the first time, and I love that one of the very first bits is the Dean accidentally playing the "I'm as high as hell and you're about to get shot" song that was used this season in Ladders. I hadn't remembered it at all.
It's also been used in the season three finale tag, at the end of Leonard's food review.

edit: now with 87% more video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbuPT1ai98I

pwn fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 13, 2015

pwn
May 27, 2004

VagueRant posted:

What even was the intention of the incredibly dragged out scene where Keith David very slowly finds the nest of charging phones while being in ironic denial that the group could be that stupid? It went on for so long with its obvious conclusion and lack of a punchline.
You know I don't want to talk about much because it's dumb for me to do so. That was a great gag. I like letting bits have room to breathe. The suitcase switch from the Sting episode is another great example. I enjoyed it. That's my time.

pwn
May 27, 2004

VagueRant posted:

First, ANOTHER documentary style episode? Remember when they first did this and it was fresh and out of the box an amazing parody of most sitcoms and kind of a gently caress you to them for using a template...Now this is what? The fifth time they've gone to this well?
Agreed, also they get married by Todd? All these people have been in the same "school" for 6 years and ugh. This place is a cult. No wait, it's the world's laziest writers.

Besides that it was enjoyable. Just getting tired of checklist seasons ("mockumentary," check. "paintball," check. "good original episode"... "good original episode," where's the "good original episode?" *entire writing staff and Harmon all shrug in comically exaggerated fashion*)

edit: I can't seem to remove an attachment from post. It's only 2015 after all

edit 2: I invite others to actually debate the merits of the episode based on the criticisms raised, rather than deflect like petulant children. ARE YOU BAD ENOUGH DUDES TO ACCEPT THIS CHALLENGE

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 26, 2015

pwn
May 27, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

That's been a theme of the season: these people never escape. Once you start at Greendale, you stay until you die. And at some point, you either go crazy and become part of the backdrop (like Todd) or you accept that you're stuck and you become an alcoholic (like Jeff) or revert into immaturity (like Britta, Annie).
Or escape via death or pirate adventure (Pierce, Troy.) But I hadn't picked up on that. Thanks.

And to be fair here, the show's entire existence has been predicated upon its "goon" fanbase. People who just happened to have the TV tuned to NBC aren't the same ones going to Yahoo! to watch season 6 of Community.

pwn
May 27, 2004

EatinCake posted:

I wonder how likely it is that they'll just do a Yahoo Screen movie episode. I just can't fathom that they'd drop the opportunity to excite fans via the already-existing tagline 6seasonsandamovie. If anything, just doing a 90 minute long episode would probably work better for everyone involved as it'd be less of a commitment (and hey, maybe Mr.Glover will finally come back! A man can dream.)
I just always assumed it would be a TV (now internet) movie.

Nobody ever actually thought it would be screened theatrically... right? :ohdear:

pwn
May 27, 2004

dead in real life posted:

Wow, you just made me realize why this episode felt a little weird to me, though I still enjoyed it a lot. I couldn't put my finger on it before but the way they depicted the insularity of the group and their lack of self-awareness felt so much like Always Sunny to me -- more than Community ever has before. Especially the part where they obliviously talk about how they're really "nailing" this wedding. I think you could take most of the script post-wedding arrival, add some goddammits, and it wouldn't be out of place in an IASIP episode.
1. Absolutely 2. Community's writers are open-auditioning for post-Community gigs.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah there have been bucketloads of awesome episodes. I need to dig out my DVDs and watch it all again. I also need to get the ones I don't have (I only have season 1-3)
Last Christmas I finally got S4 and 5 DVDs, and upon rewatch, 4 isn't as bad as I'd remembered it. It was still pretty mediocre, with only one real episode that I really enjoyed, the one where Brita puts together a Sophie B. Hawkins dance. Only the tag was lovely. Otherwise, it's... it's a gas leak year. I don't regret having it though.

I still haven't managed to watch the S4 finale without losing interest and not being able to follow the plot. It just has some supernatural power of uninteresting-ness. Like a Marvel film.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

What's more, Community fans like being in on the joke, which is why the top tens posted in this thread contain a lot of gimmick episodes rather than funny episodes.
Great point. What's your top ten Community list, Irish Joe? What do you think, according to your criterion, are the best episodes of Community? Or do you just live to burn other people down without ever putting yourself out there?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Always meant to post this: While I'm sure this song draws on several sources, at least one recognizable influence is "Passion" by Rod Stewart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbWj12YiFRs

Particularly the last part, from 4:20 on.

Fun Fact: The US president at the time of the song's writing and release was Jimmy Carter, who had scandalized the nation during the '76 election by admitting to having "lust in [his] heart" in a Playboy interview. :monocle:

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 7, 2015

pwn
May 27, 2004

Space_Butler posted:

There's a lot more to the interview
I'd love to read it. A link, please?

pwn
May 27, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I never noticed the pictograms before. :allears:

I wonder if anyone ever followed that QR code. I'd need an HD shot... (EDIT: It translates to "Greetings From Greendale Community College".)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3343929&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=90

People here were trying to scan moments after the episode ended, to no avail. Eventually it was cracked by someone, somewhere, apparently it was a simple message: "Greetings from Greendale Community College."

edit: that's what I get for digging through pages of the old thread before thinking to Google it :pwn:

pwn
May 27, 2004

In the process of looking up the QR code I came across the Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne game. I vaguely remember reading about it a couple years ago, but it's now about to leave beta and get a 1.0 release on Saturday.

https://projecthawkthorne.com/

pwn
May 27, 2004

prefect posted:

I thought TV Land was all about reruns? :confused:
And A&E was about arts and entertainment, and dozens of other niche channels that decided "hey, let's make money doing the same poo poo everyone else does." Because when i hear "The Learning Channel," I think reality television :haw:

On the rare occasion a channel with a sweet premise actually sticks to it, it dies. RIP Trio, you were too good for this cable system.

pwn
May 27, 2004

TequilaJesus posted:

Is Dan Harmon one of the commentators? Cause that would be priceless.
Sadly not. I know there was talk of it right after Sony re-hired Harmon, but I guess they wanted to play it safe and boring with the dullest cast and crew commentaries of any of the series.

pwn
May 27, 2004

dotflist has posted his magnum opus opening theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOVoWMxjp28

pwn
May 27, 2004

Regrettably, I have to agree with Irish Joe. But I'm a Fun Vampire (a reference to a scene from the show Community.)

pwn
May 27, 2004

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, I guess I'm old now or something, but how long has lip syncing performances in front of an audience been a thing that's celebrated instead of derided and ridiculed?
Since Jimmy Fallon took over the Tonight Show and did it as one of his games-with-guests things. The bit culminated with a 14-minute lip-sync battle on the post-Super Bowl show this year. It wasn't too long after that the show premiered on whatever channel it's on.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Avshalom posted:

My life is the logic of the situation but it might be better than the first lot of fun to see you at town hall at the station whenever I was worried about the printer days. That I should get tomorrow but it might not be the first one of the Hebrews. There are some pictures from a friend who is a great job for marketing manager of the first time in the rain. Christ and you know who plays him but please don't let me wear plastic grapes as a result of the same colour.
Tell me about the loving golf shoes!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Going by the Amazon reviews, the DVD is pretty lackluster; the episodes don't even have commentaries. :(

pwn
May 27, 2004

Huh. I always blew Psych off as just another boring procedural. I'll have to check it out some time. Thanks.

pwn
May 27, 2004

*quote from a dead show to change the subject*

pwn
May 27, 2004

I don't remember these from the DVDs. Were they in there somewhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8rFlt_ICEU

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_24p1ht9v8

pwn
May 27, 2004

I’m very happy I missed the apparent pages of awful people ranting about this hilarious and cathartic bit on the rage and helplessness many felt last Summer, as literal neo-Nazis re-emerged from crevices across America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVvpXZxXWZU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

And Annie

• Locked thread