Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
god drat this episode was funny. the only thing i didn't like was dean coming out as a politician. it felt like a pretty cheap joke they thought was cleverer than it was. otherwise really good and was really well-paced despite being 31 minutes long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rexides posted:

I actually liked that one. The joke that was not as clever as they thought it was was the bird going into the electrical box after they set it free. It was as if the show was afraid that it would not look cynical enough for the Internet if it didn't do something to that bird at the end.

oh yeah, I forgot about that one. I almost had my fingers crossed praying they wouldn't do something like that. eesh. but the politician one is really bad though, like the entire joke is "people don't like politicians LOL" and it's incredibly lazy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I really don't know that anyone outside of America (and maybe Canada or whatever) gives a poo poo about The Karate Kid. Nobody I know has ever seen or referenced it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm 24 and yeah a couple hours ago a friend mentioned to me that it was more of an 80s kids thing because they supposedly played it on TV lot in the UK in the very early 90s.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This season is killer.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That loving telepresence robot is a real thing http://store.apple.com/us/product/HE494LL/A/double-telepresence-robot

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EatinCake posted:

I don't get you Irish Joe, you pop up in a lot of these threads just egging on arguments for seemingly no constructive reason. I hope you aren't that pointlessly combative irl man.

Is it even worth posting the glittery text thing?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show is still good....but at this point 'good' is about the most enthusiastic word I can muster up. I'm still glad it's around, though, I guess.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, the commenters over at AV Club really loved this episode.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rapeface posted:

Do people really care that much about AV Club reviews? And they gave it a C+?

Commenters, rapeface. I wrote "commenters".

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where was Harmon's wheel that episode, anyway?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's funny because the post the meltdown guy quoted was pretty fair. I mean he's allowed to not like those kind of jokes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That episode was interesting/weird in a good way but it wasn't funny. I like Community when it's funny. The best season 1-3 episodes had a constant supply of amazing one-liners and asides. This episode I laughed out loud twice and mildly tittered a few other times and that was it.

I really am starting to dislike the extended episodes. This show used to be relentless with jokes and now large sections at a time feel turgid. I know there are many in this thread who are keeping the wool over their eyes claiming it's as good as ever and can't handle even the most minor amount of criticism without bursting into tears and/or demanding the person making the complaint stops watching the show, but.....come on, guys. I mean I don't hate the show now or anything but we're mostly grown-ups and I think we can all accept that these episodes are way less funny and tightly-plotted than ones in earlier seasons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't speak for his previous posts, but except for the bit about the tags nothing about that one strikes me as especially egregious or anything other than perfectly acceptable criticisms of the show as it is right now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This episode was really good and really funny and I really liked it but it did not feel like Community at all to me. Which isn't a criticism because I enjoyed it, but just something I noticed. If season 5 was slightly different from the previous Harmon seasons in tone, this episode was like we followed that trend but skipped ahead to about season 9.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think I prefer the state of the show now more than I did when the start of s3 was airing and it seemed like everyone was constantly at each others throats for no reason. It go better, but those first few episodes were rough.

This was definitely the weakest part of seasons 1-3 although for me it only really becomes unbearable in the original Todd episode. Which I still don't really enjoy watching.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was absolutely fantastic, holy poo poo. Easily one of the best Community episodes ever.

My ranking is 2 > 1 > 5 > 3 > 6 >>> 4 but I adore all the seasons apart from 4 and 6, which has gone up quite a bit in my estimations with the last three episodes anyway.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

c'mon everyone
yakuza tag
come
on

I think it would have been funnier if it ended right after the kid got yelled at but before he started texting the Dean again. The Yakuza bit was pretty lazy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Made a top 10 episodes list as part of a thing with a friend so thought I'd post it here to see if anyone cared or wanted to make their own why not

god there are so many amazing episodes of this show

quote:

10. Regional Holiday Music (310)
09. Documentary Filmmaking: Redux (308)
08. Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design (209)
07. Emotional Consequences of Broadcast Television (613)
06. Paradigms of Human Memory (221)
05. Modern Warfare (123)
04. Remedial Chaos Theory (303)
03. App Development and Condiments (508)
02. A Fistful of Paintballs/For a Few Paintballs More (223/224)
01. Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (214)

e: swapped out polygraphy for doc: redux

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 5, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah season 4 is far from horrible and that episode you mentioned is pretty drat good. Body swap one ain't bad too. But the finale is by far the worst episode of Community that could ever possibly exist. literally everything about it is wrong

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Probably not because that was like two seasons later.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Count me as another one who preferred early Britta. Or at least late season 1/season 2 Britta when she has more goofy elements but isn't a total fuckwad. The minute "DUH-DOY!" became her catchphrase they lost me a little.

Also man I seriously don't know that any show this decade has been funnier than the first 3 seasons of Community. You really can tell how much Dan worked everyone to the bone to make every scene work and every line as funny as possible. Even Parks which I love to bits is very mild comedically compared to this.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ this is why people who say the musical episode of Scrubs is good are wrong

the Cox one rules though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
fwiw I don't hate musicals, just the Scrubs musical episode because it's unfunny dogshit. There's a song about "poo lol!", a song about "we bloody love each other but no homo mate!", and a song about "remember that occasional running joke about a guy forgetting his wife's ethnicity well here's an entire three-minute song about it just in case you all wanted that ran into the ground, we weren't sure"

I mean musically it's perfectly good, but the humour is indefensible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rewatching season 6. It's better upon rewatch (although I can say the same for every season, hell even while 2 was airing I thought they were ruining themselves with gimmick episodes and now I think it's a masterpiece) but still probably my least favourite Harmon season. I probably wouldn't put the worst episodes below my favourite season 4 episodes anymore though. And Frankie is seriously one of my favourite late additions to a sitcom ever.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thoughts after rewatching the Honda episode:

1) the Honda episode is Very Good
2) the scene where Britta upsells Billy Zane scotch is like the most out-of-character scene for any character in any Harmon season and it's incredibly weird to watch.

Next up is Recycled Cinema. If my overall increased positivity about this season falters anywhere, it'll be here. Fingers crossed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rewatched Remedial Chaos Theory. I bet Shirley's pies burned in the real timeline too because she got distracted dancing to Roxanne.

edit: lets talk about this and not whatever just happened up there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah it's also insanely well-structured and one of the funniest episodes ever. Troy coming back to all the chaos with the troll in the middle is one of the best gags they ever did.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who says "so and so wasn't very good but it's still way better than almost anything on network TV" probably doesn't watch a lot of network TV.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's much better than the comparison he used after watching the Jeff's dad episode, when he said it was like watching your family get raped on a park bench.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Puppet episode isn't as bad as the s4 finale

Nothing is as bad as the s4 finale

The s4 finale is death

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Transmodiar posted:

As long as the first Todd episode and Regional Holiday Music exist, there is ALWAYS something worse than the season four finale.

I dunno, man. That first Todd episode is legitimately Real Fuckin Bad (to use a classic Occ phrase) and I would even put most s4 eps above it but at least it has a handful of funny lines when it's not being utterly horrible and hateful. There's nothing worthwhile about the s4 finale.

and Regional Holiday Music is great

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But this is an interesting question: what Harmon-era Community eps would you actually consider worse than the season 4 average? The two that stick out to me are Todd and the godawful Recycled Cinema episode from this latest season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

Todd episode is the potato mystery one right? What's wrong with that one?

Nope, there's one earlier in the season where they have to choose lab partners and Todd is the 8th guy.

Schmitty and Jesus Abed actually turn out to be really good when you rewatch them btw, sorry everyone but you're wrong

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think every Harmon season is awesome. But season 6 almost didn't get there. Last 3 eps redeemed it a lot, but the three eps before those were.....SO piss-poor. (Recycled Cinema, Grifting, and RV)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Has the bad timeline ever actually affected the prime one? I know they've played around with it a couple times but those episodes tend to end with a zoom out of a characters eye as they imagine it. I love Remedial Chaos Theory, its probably my favorite community episode ever, but I never liked any of the bad timeline references after that episode.

Remember I was saying how the s4 finale was death? It's because this happens. Except it turns out to be a dream so still no I guess.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea until these recent posts that anyone considered that episode a weak one. It's my least favourite of the three Christmas episodes, but it's still fantastic.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's not like they changed it after the episode aired, that was the name in the scripting stage and then iTunes also has it accidentally.

e: also wiki tells me that episode received mixed critical reviews. nuts! it is excellent

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Vader posted:

I got to visit the set when they were filming the KFC episode. I will always have a place in my heart for it. Even though I didn't get a clear picture of Alison Brie dancing on the foosball table.

That's cool. My friend visited the set during the season 3 documentary episode, but I had to point out to him that Chase was wearing the same shirt in the episode as in the picture they took together when it aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hated that plot, then really liked it, then the last time I saw it disliked it again. But the other storylines in the episode are great.

• Locked thread