Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

pwn posted:

Besides that it was enjoyable. Just getting tired of checklist seasons ("mockumentary," check. "paintball," check. "good original episode"... "good original episode," where's the "good original episode?" *entire writing staff and Harmon all shrug in comically exaggerated fashion*)

edit: I can't seem to remove an attachment from post. It's only 2015 after all

edit 2: I invite others to actually debate the merits of the episode based on the criticisms raised, rather than deflect like petulant children. ARE YOU BAD ENOUGH DUDES TO ACCEPT THIS CHALLENGE

Isn't it more important to worry about the quality of the execution rather than what style of comedy they are using? Imagine criticizing the Office for only making mockumentary episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

alpha_destroy posted:

My wife and I are in the middle of a rewatch. We just finished Remedial Chaos Theory and now I am wondering: "Would the group be better off without Jeff?" Maybe it's a stupid question since there would be no group with Jeff.

Dan Harmon talks about the theme of that episode here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kClvthueOuU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Lipset and Rock On posted:

Doesn't Gillian Jacobs have a recurring part on Girls?

This is sort of the level I imagine most of the cast at for the next few years. None of them will ever be A-list but they're talented/attractive enough to get the odd supporting role in bad movies like Alison Brie or recurring roles like Joel's X-Files stint or Gillian's Girls role. So we'll probably see them pop up now and again, but never in a major role. Maybe one of them will get another permanent sitcom role or something. Then in a decade or two they'll reach the point that they're not physically attractive anymore and that'll be that.

As above I suspect Danny Pudi will be the one we'll see least of. There, sadly, just aren't many roles for half-Indian, half-Polish actors.

That's not exactly a daring prognosis to make. Becoming an A-list actor is like hitting the lottery, which is why the idea that the actors/actresses would be relieved to not "have" to do the show anymore is absurd.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Good point. I'm sure a cast of 30 year-olds have no career aspirations beyond being in an internet television show with fewer viewers than a video of a cat falling asleep.

Good point, being smug about youtube viral clip views vs TV Nielsen Ratings is an absolutely logical comparison.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Beeez posted:

I think Donald Glover says he's done with the Childish Gambino thing, so you might be seeing him in more acting roles soon.

He was in Magic XXL and is going to be in the Martian movie. I don't know how big his roles are in them, but those are huge movies.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

But I thought he was done with acting and focusing on his lovely music career from now on?

That's not what he said. What he wanted was more creative control because acting alone is a limited artform. Even Marlon Brando felt that way.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

The Dark One posted:

Yeah, their characterization is there to drive home the fact that Britta feels the need to rebel against everything, regardless of the level of injustice invovled.

I think you guys are missing the intent of that episode, because Britta had a big monologue where she acknowledged that her parents had become open minded in their old age, but she also listed a series of things they did (Had her drug tested at 11 years old because she was laughing too much) that her parents confirmed. Brushing Britta's pain off as an illusion was entirely why she was angry.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

The episode that was the biggest indicator of Harmon's weird thoughts about relationships with women was the Blade episode. The way he depicted Britta's psychology with Blade vs. Troy was bizarre and served to engage in male fantasy. Which was a shame, because I thought the Vaughn and Britta/Annie relationships were depicted pretty well for a comedic sitcom.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 7, 2018

• Locked thread