Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I enjoyed both a lot. I understand why people were bored by the VR bits, but the cuts to the dean were fun for me. The whole Britta plot was frustrating, but it wasn't that character's fault. And Britta going for a cat coughing up a hairball in disgust made me laugh way more than it deserved.

The only news I'm down on is another paintball episode. They've been fun but let it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

JesusFists posted:

While I didn't have a problem with the E2 Britta storyline, my partner, who is not a Harmontown fan, initially did, until I explained that the show was absolutely taking her side. See, Harmon is closer to Britta than to any of the other characters - check out how he basically describes his oppositional defiant disorder in a Rolling Stone interview from last year:

Harmon had some really abusive parents, like seriously brutally abusive, as he tells it. On Harmontown he's talked about coming to basically the same conclusion as Frankie, realizing that the parents he developed himself in opposition to are now harmless, relatively good-natured old people. While their present benign selves don't make up for what they did, they do call into question Harmon / Britta's entire personal worldview. If their two original tyrants aren't monsters, then no one is a monster, and no one gets to be a hero for fighting them, especially a decade or two after the other side stopped actually being oppressive. In essence, carrying the theme from the first episode, how do you define yourself when there's no longer a Big Bad to cast yourself against?

Of course, one shouldn't have to be an obsessive Harmon fan like myself to understand the emotional conclusion of the episode, so that's definitely something of a shortcoming. Still, I really love where the season is going so far, pairing the grounded, character-based plots (and exteriors!) of S1 with the rich, layered comedy of the later seasons. Happy to see most of the thread seems to be in agreement, but I suppose we're still in the S6 honeymoon period.

This is all accurate, but the problem with the episode is that none of that really shines unless your looking for it. Partly it's the childish way they have Britta explain herself, but it's largely because her character's credibility in sincere moments has been destroyed since season 1.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Volume posted:

I still have no idea what people mean when they say they hated that Community went to multicam.

That's so confusing. Then it isn't because a lot of people don't know what mulitcam and single camera mean.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

That discussion/explanation pops up in tv threads every once in awhile. And this is the tv nerd area. Lot's of people just don't know what those terms relate too.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 1, 2015

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

After seeing how well they've done with Jonathan Banks and Keith David, I feel for Chevy Chase getting screwed on his character.

This was a great episode. And Harmon's not joking about Britta being his voice, he's said a lot of those thing on his podcast. I loved them trying to find the meaning at the end.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Honda and marketing is quite literally a drug that destroys a couple in this episode

Like you ever met a couple that are both addicts, especially when it's the same drug? it's exaggerated here but the stuff that Rick did at the end of the episode is what for-reals junkie couples do especially when one or both want to get clean- well gently caress it let's blow it OUT one last time, then we quit tomorrow or some poo poo like that

I mean this could not be any less of a flattering light they cast Honda in within the bounds of the episode, it's a metaphorical stand in for fuckin' heroin

I hadn't made that connection but it's a great point. I really loved this episode and it's total embrace of Honda and everything else made it what I love about Community.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

Every single line about Honda was a joke about the disconnect between the way advertisers speak and the way normal people actually talk.

It makes me sad that one of my first thoughts after seeing the episode was "Some goons are gonna be so mad about this."

I've been on these forums for too long.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

That was Danielle Schneider playing his wife too, who's his irl wife, and also a pretty great improviser.

I loved this episode, and overall have really enjoyed this season. It's not the same Community, but even evolved it's a funny show. Paget Brewster and Keith David have been wonderful additions performance wise. Sure it's a little forced, but they're funny.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 12, 2015

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I still love Britta wanting to put a hat on a frog. Her expression when she reveals her masterplan and the resulting scene.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

God it's such a good show.

I've been rewatching it recently and I definitely let my negative opinions on Harmon cloud my memory. It's such a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

He's definitely not wrong there. The Russos, Lin, and Harmon could absolutely get the funding. Hell throw Hulu in too since they have the whole series.

• Locked thread