Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Tsurupettan posted:

What kind of self-buffs? Can I be a plate-wearing, hammer-swinging Lizard Wizard that makes himself swole as gently caress?

What kind of goofy poo poo can I do in this game? I'm going to buy it tomorrow.
Actually I think it's a bit misleading to call Dark Magic a "self-buff" tree. It just has a self-heal and the ultimate has a buffing element, all the other active skills are just CC and some damage.

However, if you go for the Storm Calling tree, you get poo poo like this:

Overload (ultimate skill): Charge your fists with the power of the storm. Light attacks become lighting bolts, dealing [x] Shock Damage, and heavy attacks blast enemies in target area for [y] Shock Damage.

Lightning Form: Manifest yourself as lighting to gain Major Resolve and Major Ward, increasing Armor and Spell Resistance by [x] for 15 seconds. While active, nearby enemies will take [y] Shock Damage each second.

Surge: Invoke Merida’s name to get a rush of power, granting you Major Brutality, which increases Weapon Damage by 20% for 20 seconds. While active, critical strikes heal you for 40% of damage done.

I've seen some sorcerers get kickin' rad glowing blue eyes, I'm not sure but I think it's one of those skills.

And then you can just couple those with the completely class-or-stat-independent Two Handed and Heavy Armour skills, grab a maul and go to town on some poor bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

eSporks posted:

You can easily do all 3, nothing in the game really limits you except for only being to slot 5 skills or whatever.
Oh absolutely. I switch my slotted skills around all the time just for variation's sake.

And even if you find out later that "ok, this sword-and-shield thing isn't my thing afterall" and would rather go dual-wield, you can just do it. Grab another weapon in your off hand and go do quests and kill poo poo, the skill will go up to a reasonable level in no time at all.

Bob NewSCART posted:

So can I be a night blade lightning fucker duel wielding with plate armor and actually be viable in this game? Does it actually not suck? I tried the beta and was actually kind of enjoying it but box price plus subscription is too much for an MMO I only played a few hours of
Yeah, pretty much everything will work fine, as long as you don't do really stupid things like pick passive skills for stuff you're not even using or someshit.
Well, I don't know about PvP, but for most PvE stuff you can just go with pretty much whatever, especially if you're with a buddy or two.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

What classes are good for having great survivability w/ room for making mistakes? I'm open to Stamina or Magicka builds. I was thinking of going Sorcerer because I'm a big fan of pet classes, but their only class heal being reliant on high crit makes me nervous.
That's not true though, Sorcerers also have the Dark Magic skill that straight up gives you health and magicka in exchange for stamina (or health and stam for mag, if you morph it), plus a passive that heals you a little bit every time you hit an enemy with a dark magic skill.
That said, Dragon Knights get a shitload of damage-absorbing and armor boosting skills as well as some self-heals, and Nightblades have some very nice self heals.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My main gripe is that the writing in the main story (and the Fighter's guild questline) suffers from a really bad case of Diablo III-itis.

"FOOLS! you can never defeat me! Mwuahahahahaa I am evil!"
"NO! We will defeat you because honour and loyalty and googblahurf blurf dorf"

Gives me a loving migraine it does. At least Abnur Tharn has some funny lines.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Danith posted:

Is there one starting area that is better than the others? I was playing a high elf and it just seemed kinda bland.
Well, Ebonheart newbie island is Bleakrock Isle, which is basically a mini Solstheim. Or if you're unfamiliar with that name, it's snowy, rocky and densely forested. I like it well enough but sadly, once you finish it, you get stuck with a hosed up instance of it so there's little reason to go back.
Daggerfall starter island is Stros M'Kai, a desert island. I often go back there with my DC toon to craft poo poo since it has blacksmithing, clothing and woodworking crafting statioins, a dye station and a bank all in a nice little cluster.

Danith posted:

Also, what is with the helmets for Argonians? Looking at the Veteran Gear thing on the character creator they look like oversized stupid crowns. Do they not get something that covers their face?
That's just the Argonian style helmet, you can wear whatever style you want if you can find/craft it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Scyantific posted:

Mournhold in Deshaan has the best crafting area because literally all of the crafting stations are within 3 seconds of the wayshrine.

Yeah Mournhold is great, though I wish the bank was closer.
Seriously, I don't understand why the devs have insisted on designing almost all the hubs so that everything is so spread out. At least one part of the equation is always on the opposite side of the drat city. I mean, sure, I guess it makes the places seem livelier with people runnin around to and fro, but uggh.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Berke Negri posted:

In towns most everything is flagged as owned but stealing is really good money if you stick to it. White gear you can lift off racks is like 30g but stolen items from pickpocketing and stealing from lock boxes can go from 100g to thousands of gold.
Not to mention it can be pretty fun too. I saw a lockbox right behind the back of a banker in some town in Auridon. In addition to the banker moving about behind his counter there was a guard wandering around. Was pretty tense hiding in the corner waiting for both of them to be turned away and then quickly try pick the lock. Got a few hundred gold's worth of stuff from it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just a shoutout to any EU goons playing on the PC:
Feel free to toss me a friend invite, @Palantyre. I have a VR 2 toon on DC, Cadwelling around in Auridon, and a level 38 dude on EP that I've been playing with a buddy.
Maybe we'll happen to be online at the same time sometime and go kill some poo poo together, idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
...and this is the part where the saloon falls deadly silent, and all the patrons turn around in their seats to stare at the newcomer, to see if they're the kind that's not liked around here.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 10, 2016

• Locked thread