Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Zach the Drifter posted:

Is there a formal goon guild? I didn't see that in the OP.

There's the old Daggerfall and Ebonheart guilds with a few active members. The most active, weirdly enough, is the crafting guild, which anyone can invite to if they're a member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Tsurupettan posted:

What kind of self-buffs? Can I be a plate-wearing, hammer-swinging Lizard Wizard that makes himself swole as gently caress?

Yes. Any of the classes can fit what ever role.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

From what little has been released about it, any differences between classes will probably be further smoothed out once they release spell crafting, expected release date of who the heck knows.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

If I remember right night blades weakness re: class skills is that they're very good single target damage but weaker for aoe, but so much has changed I don't know if that's the case anymore.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

First thing I'm doing is picking up a guar mount.

Then maybe a dog.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 16, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Machado de Assis posted:

Been eyeing ESO ever since the B2P announcement, what does it do that feels closer to morrowind than skyrim, other than (I assume, since its an MMO and all) not having oblivion/skyrim style instant fast travel from anywhere? If it has more varied and weirder environments like morrowind did I'll definitely be getting this.

There's linear leveling (enemies do not scale to you) like Morrowind but that's where I would I end the comparisons. Combat is better I think than the single player TES games, it's more complex and reaction based.

Not everyone likes the visual style of the game but I would say that Morrowind and Black Marsh are pretty "weird". You can't access Vvardenfell though so there's no crab houses or anything, but there's lots of mushrooms.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

There's no faction restrictions on banks, or guilds.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Pretty satisfied with my battle guar:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Just a reminder that you can join up to five guilds in this game. As long as all goons have access to a channel to talk to each other I think thats the most important. Faction specific guilds are only really necessary for coordinating PvP and that can always be sorted out if we get that many people coming back/trying the game out for the first time.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

If you just bought the game you can purchase the Adventurer's Pack from the crown store for 1900 crowns ($19) and that will allow you to play as any race for any faction.

I believe you can also track down an unused pre-order game key off some sites but I don't know how to go about that.

edit: The Imperial Edition upgrade can also be purchased from the crown store for like $20 I think, that will let you play as an Imperial which can be rolled with any faction.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

eSporks posted:

Heavy emphasis on the MMO. This game is an MMO, it has MMO qualities, and MMO combat. If you go in expecting a TEST game you will be dissapointed. This is a TES flavored MMO.

The combat is actually a lot better than a TES game. That's not really saying much, but it is good.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Noirex posted:

I'm sad they fixed the German trees. It was a whole new level of surreal. The fact that they were actually telling you how to kill the boss made it more hilarious. I honestly thought I was being trolled by ESO.

Anyway, I reinstalled the game and having a blast with a NB that steals everything not nailed down. How are they as healers? And I'm enjoying the justice system a lot more than expected. Always seeing some random newbie in town run screaming with a pissed off guard at at his tail never fails to brighten my day.

NBs can be good healers and I know they had some morphs recently changed that are more group healing/utility focused.

Again, any class can specialize on whatever role they want, it is nothing for a DK to be a heavy armor tank or a light armor wearing fire mage. The classes just are kind of starting points towards one direction but you don't have to necesarilly stick to it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Fried Sushi posted:

Hope they have plans to add more to the store, really outside of the mounts/pets there isn't much worth buying there at the moment.

What's in the store now is about half of what's been shown so far that we know about (there's been a couple more guars leaked and several senche mounts and various outfits) but other than costumes/mounts/pets I'm not sure what you'd want to spend money on.

Edit:

Kaddish posted:

They got any silly hats?

There's costumes like wedding dresses useable by either gender and so there's been a lot of pubbies very, very concerned about their immersion breaking.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 17, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

g0del posted:

Wait - male chars can wear the wedding dress? I'm going to have to rethink my spending priorities. I just wish the pubbies in this game were as easy to troll as the STO crowd.

All clothing/costumes fit on both genders.

And by that I don't mean the wedding dress becomes a tux or something but your brawny male orc barbarian is wearing a full on wedding gown.

Sadly no one is as easy to troll as in STO but once the rest of my crowns trickle in I might pick one up, find two players mutelessly standing too close to each other in a tavern and see what happens as I work my way through the emote list.

Edit: there's also wearable dresses that can be stolen from dressers/wardrobes and traded from other players you don't need to spend crowns on, but they take up equipment slots so you don't get protection wearing them

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 17, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Danith posted:

Is there one starting area that is better than the others? I was playing a high elf and it just seemed kinda bland.

Also, what is with the helmets for Argonians? Looking at the Veteran Gear thing on the character creator they look like oversized stupid crowns. Do they not get something that covers their face?

Each faction gets two* starter islands** with Daggerfall being Stros M'Kai (baller) and Betnikh, an Orc Stronghold on an island that's cool looking but a pain to get around

*AD gets just one, Kenarethi Roost, or whatever, which is off the coast of Elsweyr but is twice the size of the other factions island. Okay story but visually a bit bland for my tastes

**EP has not-Solstheim and the second spot isn't actually an island but a small dunmer/argonian settlement on mainland Morrowind. Bal Foyen, the second spot, has a good one stop spot for crafting close to a wayshrine

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Bal Foyen > Stros M'Kai > Kenarathi Roost are some of the best in terms of all crafting in one location, though they only get like one guild trader so if you need to buy anything you'll likely need to travel to a better hub.

The Bleakrock Guild Trader stand easily has to be the saddest guild store stall in the game.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I went with banded over the tesselated, because guars should be brown not green.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Killbot posted:

Can @killbotSA get an invite to the Ebonheart guild?

You're in. I sent invites out to everyone for the EP guild that asked previously, I am not positive if you get invitations while offline. I'll be around for the next hour if anyone else needs to get invited in.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Bob NewSCART posted:

Seriously, holy gently caress.

So am I understanding this right: all class abilities use magicka. All melee weapon abilities use stamina. So would my best idea be to roll a kajhiit or a high elf if I wanna be min maxy about my nightblade? Feel free to let me know if the racial bonuses are completely worthless, but some of them sound pretty decent even though I don't really have a frame of reference on how much 15% more magicka recovery or max magicka really is.

Some class abilities can be morphed into stamina abilities now so there's more diversity.

Exploration is kind of what you make of if in this game. Its either you can hunt for everything and find on your own or use add ons that will add everything to your map. Personally anything for character advancement I prefer to be marked (skyshards) as not finding all of those every zone you get to will set you back, but it is all up to personal taste.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Scyantific posted:

Morphs are exactly as the word implies, morphs. When you get a skill to rank IV, you can choose to morph it into one of two enhanced versions of it, each with their own unique bonuses. An example would be the Bound Armor thing I used just a few posts up. Another one would be Poison Arrow. You can choose to morph it into a version that does higher damage at lower health, or a version that interrupts casting and stuns when it does (always pick this one).

Also, everyone should be using addons for Sky Shards and Lore Books.

Yeah, lore books is kind of another must just because you will never hit level 10 in the mages guild without it (you need to clear like a dozen zones of all the books they have to get to that level, it isn't something you'll be able to do in a timely or orderly fashion without the add-on.)

Personally I like stuff like skyshards and lore books because one of the first things I do when I get to a new zone is sequence break and just try to nab those first and it is possible at level 10 to grab almost all of the skyshards off all of your factions zones just by sneaking around so knowing where to go usually leads me to figuring out paths I wouldn't if I just quested along normally.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Wiltsghost posted:

I'll take an invite to ep. Ign is Curulen.

Starkk posted:

I'd like an invite to EP, @StarkkUW

Invites have been sent to both of you.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Evil Sagan posted:

I think I may have hosed up. I discovered certification in Glenumbra, and wanted to aim for alchemy certification. I talked to the guy who offers it, but I must have been getting tired because I accidentally started the Enchanting certification quest instead. "No problem," I thought, and abandoned the quest, thinking I could then choose the other. Unfortunately, the guy is nowhere to be found. Is any of this making sense? Am I totally hosed out of enchanting/provisioning/alchemy certification now?

I don't think so, no. The two starter quest givers will be in the Daggerfall fighters guild for blacksmithing/woodworking/clothier and Mages guild for provisioning/alchemy/enchanting.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Verranicus posted:

So, can we not just run around town looting everything anymore without becoming criminals? I seem to remember a good chunk of my starting money at launch coming from lucky finds in random houses, seems like the game would be harder without doing it.

In towns most everything is flagged as owned but stealing is really good money if you stick to it. White gear you can lift off racks is like 30g but stolen items from pickpocketing and stealing from lock boxes can go from 100g to thousands of gold.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

vug posted:

Prepare for rage if the server lags or you otherwise have a stupid death when the guards are chasing you and you've got loads of loot

The worst one was when I somehow couldn't jump over 2 foot high battlements to jump off a city wall to safety, the guards caught up and started kicking my rear end, and I finally got over the battlements but due to being injured died from the fall, which counts as getting killed by the guards

Was this that around the back way to get to the outlaw refuge in the first AD city.

Cause I hate stealing in that city.

Davons Watch is pretty good for stealing, people just leave everything out in the open. Riften is fun just for the memories. (And that the outlaw refuge is the thieves guild hideout from Skyrim)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Verranicus posted:

Does stealing just come down to "crouch and hope you get lucky" or is there some special method to it/skills to improve chances?

Pickpocketing is chance based which you can improve leveling up the thieves skill line while normal stealing is just crouching out of sight and grabbing stuff when no one is looking. Medium armor (light armor in other TES games) improves your sneaking abilities and the thief skill line can improve sneaking as well as paying bribes, fencing stolen goods, etc.

The toughest items to steal from lock boxes will involve some skill as you need to hide, figure out how long you have to pick the lock, and do it before someone comes wandering back in time.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

If you just started playing it may be a good idea to disable accidentally killing NPCs in the settings menu unless you want to join the ranks of piled up dead level 4 vestiges outside the gates of Davons Watch.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

vug posted:

it's quite weird how the mobs in the non-veteran pvp campaign are vr5 but scaled down so you can kill them

I think VR mobs are just a lot easier now.

Also this is really good news and should alleviate vet PvP being basically bullshit a bit I hope.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I think the guild store system kind of works now that there are guild shops located in all the cities. I had a good add-on pre-1.6 that scanned the inventories of guild stores when you accessed them and would keep record of pricing so you could get an idea of market average prices but it doesn't seem to work currently.

Would really like to see stores able to set up buy orders though.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I hope they release giant rideable caterpillars as a mount when they come out with the Orsinium DLC.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Mudcrab and gaudy rear end colors.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I can't speak for hard freezes, I'm not sure what could be causing that, but I do know the (Camlorn?) quest you're talking about and it is one of the tougher fights in the game. Thats the one where you have your back against a tower and have to fight off two or three waves of werewolves right? I think I only managed to clear that by using the fighters guild abilities to take down the werewolves fast, with a health buff from food and lots of potions/self heals.

Edit: if this is a new character and not VR you could always just gain a few more levels and come back later.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 19, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Mr Scumbag posted:

I feel like we're playing different games. The combat feels just a little less clunky than Morrowind, which was released almost 13 years ago. I started as a Nightblade because I love stealthy and rogue kinds of gameplay but switched to the magic class because it's the least clunky way to fight. Well, it's still clunky, but it's better than hitting your opponent with heavy attacks and not even seeing him flinch.

It's really frustrating since I like every other aspect of the game a lot, but that main gameplay portion feels so bland and dated it negates all of the other stuff they've managed to pull off pretty well. It's so drat disheartening, since we have all of the technology and talent it would require to make a really engaging MMO with great, satisfying, realtime combat but for some reason we still get this clunky, unsatisfying grindy gameplay.

It sounds like you're mostly just using your basic attack and heavy attack, you're supposed to be doing most of your damage from abilities.

edit: If Im misinterpreting that sorry, maybe post your build and we can see what you are doing. Combat is supposed to go pretty fast in this game and so if you're feeling it is clunky and grindy something sounds off.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 20, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

CruzerZERO posted:

After playing the beta I decided to try this out one more time. Stole a cool set of heavy armor for my sorcerer Nord, stole a two handed battle axe from some trunk in somebody's house and I'm jumping on top of skeletons with my axe and striking them down with lightning. This game owns again. :black101:

Is the game really this open with being able to change up your playstyle like other Elder Scrolls games? Would I screw myself down the road if I kept playing as a two handed sorcerer with heavy armor? I feel really powerful at the moment doing stuff and I hope it doesn't die out at some point.

You can roll with whatever. My VR dk wears medium armor and sneaks around with a bow.

Now, you can't really do like, all magicka stat dump and then only use stamina abilities, that's dumb. But any class can do anything it wants with some basic understanding of how builds work.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The Main Story is alright but not the strongest story in the game as it is your typical TES main story of "big bad is out to end the world and you are the chosen one to stop it" but each zone has its own self-contained arc and while the quality can vary they are all pretty good. It is fairly linear but you can sequence break your way around a zone if you want.

edit: and yeah, each faction has their own cast of recurring characters that you meet in the starter areas and pop up throughout the faction storylines and they're pretty good.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Fathis Munk posted:

Ooh, boy you guys were not kidding when you were saying that the launcher is terribad.

Could be worse.

Could be getting 1mb/s if im lucky like myself, not 3mb/s.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I use this add-on for alchemy and you basically can select potion strength and qualities and it will pull up a list of everything you can make. Just select it from the list and it will automatically slot the needed reagents.

Alchemy is also ridiculously easy to level up. I spent about 10,000 gold yesterday afternoon shopping for all the needed mats and then just went from level 5 to level 40 in less than an hour.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Tsarbomb posted:

Is a DK viable/interesting with a destruction staff?

Yes. DK is pretty much built to be a fire magic caster if you want it to be.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Once you get inhale ability as a DK that is pretty much it in regards to being able to do any solo pve content. After that you pretty much can take anything around 3-5 mobs at a time.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Psychepath posted:

@Sheepknight would like guild invites please, EP in particular.

How much would I miss out on by skipping group dungeons while leveling? Party finder groups have been a mess and I don't want to outlevel questing by too much.

Its not enough to set you back, but as a VR 5 if I'm around I'm always willing to help carry people through dungeons. I've helped a few goons through past couple of weeks but ask on weekends and likely someone will be around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Yesterday they did a twitch liveshow they announced their schedule for updating the crown store, that they'll be adding more things at the beginning of april and at the start of every month (I'm guessing) is when new crown store items will be added.

• Locked thread