Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Ghost Trick is a magical adventure and I wish I could forget everything I knew about it so I could experience it for the first time all over again.
You aren't the only one: I finally got it last year and it I loved it.
The whole game is peppered by interesting characters, the puzzles fun to figure out and the finale is fantastic.
And yes, Missile is simply great. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

I fell out of a plane crash because you need to stop.

D3m3 posted:

The lady in purple's hair is a rosebud, not a tulip, actually.

You know, I worry about what sort of fish might have been in that tank. Because I have to assume they are so dead now, and no one's going back in time to 4 minutes before they die. RIP, whatever is in Lynne's fishtank.

This is why I'm not a botanist.

I'm guessing the tank was full of dirty dishes/cyanobacteria.

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

Update!

Chapter 3...No Commentary

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
I love how Sissel mentions there are "paths only the dead can see" and Missile's immediately all "oh ok that makes perfect sense goodbye funny ghost man please save Lynne and Kamila!!!" :3: I also completely forgot how Sissel almost kills somebody because he doesn't remember what guns are; amnesia is a bitch :v:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

radintorov posted:

You aren't the only one: I finally got it last year and it I loved it.
The whole game is peppered by interesting characters, the puzzles fun to figure out and the finale is fantastic.
And yes, Missile is simply great. :allears:

I have to third that comment. I honestly consider this one of the best games ever made. The characters are fantastic, the plot is incredible, the soundtrack is great, the puzzles are interesting but not tedious, there are loads of easter eggs, and it has the best doggy ever.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I don't think I've ever seen a wall clock with a pendulum before.

Edit: Also, Tony Abbot was actually born in England, so...

ProofsNRefutations
Feb 22, 2011
This game is amazing, great art, great music, great plot, it really is the complete package. I had a blast playing it through on my ipad, I wish Capcom would update it so it works again, I was heartbroken when I tried to replay it and couldn't get it running anymore.

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

Update!

Chapter 4 part 1...Chapter 4 part 2...No Commentary

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
This game's animations are so drat good it makes me wonder why no other games have ever tried something similar. I mean obviously it helps that the characters are all cartoonishly exaggerated, but the technique and the look in general is really really fitting for this game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A small thing: The blue and green detectives are pretty much a small visual reference to Phoenix and Payne from Ace Attorney.

It's really the glasses on Green Detective that clinch it.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
I love how even Cabanela doesn't bother to differentiate them besides their colors....along with everything else Cabanela does he's so smooth :swoon:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Waffleman_ posted:

A small thing: The blue and green detectives are pretty much a small visual reference to Phoenix and Payne from Ace Attorney.

It's really the glasses on Green Detective that clinch it.

There are a few of these. Since, you know, Shu Takumi made Ace Attorney as well as this game.

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

Quick heads up, the Chapter 5 videos will go up tomorrow, and then I'm going on vacation for a few days. Was hoping to work more on my backlog but I got caught up in music projects. Still, I'd feel bad leaving without posting anything.

So look forward to that!

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

Update!

Chapter 5 part 1...Chapter 5 part 2...No Commentary

Happy Egg Day everybody,

King Christmas fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 5, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

This game is so good. It wasn't quite here where I fell in love with the game though, that's the next area.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Does Hercule Poirot's Christmas (the story) play out very similarly to Hercule Poirot's Christmas (the David Suchet TV adaptation)? I ask because you bought up Roger Ackroyd and, uh, ITV took some liberties with that one, and the TV series is all I really know about Poirot.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Watching these videos and having played this game, I can't help but notice all the small hints and bits of foreshadowing that are peppered throughout the game. :3:

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

Fedule posted:

Does Hercule Poirot's Christmas (the story) play out very similarly to Hercule Poirot's Christmas (the David Suchet TV adaptation)? I ask because you bought up Roger Ackroyd and, uh, ITV took some liberties with that one, and the TV series is all I really know about Poirot.

I haven't seen the film, but I've heard it's pretty faithful to the book. They just cut out a couple characters and side plots.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
Say what you want about Lynne, but she certainly knows how to stay positive, even in the face of repeated murders, accidents and what have you. I guess having a time-traveling ghost buddy will do wonders in that regard.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
This is a good game. This is a good lp. Missile is a good dog.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I've already played through this game 3 times and I'm still really loving every little character interaction. The writing is so good.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

The game audio's almost inaudible in the first part and the beginning of the second (up until the music you inserted).

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ah, that upbeat nature of Lynne, takes a fatal licking but keeps on ticking.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

"Ha ha! I died again!" was the point where Lynne became my favorite character, and she only gets better and, I doubt anyone will be surprised by this, continues to die in ever more absurd ways.

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

Update!

Chapter 6 part 1...Chapter 6 part 2...No Commentary

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
I love how even when Cabanela's panicking, he still has to do his elaborate phone answering/hanging up maneuvers. poo poo hitting the fan is no excuse to stop being stylish.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It bears repeating that the animations in this game are so good, particularly in the recording of the junkyard events.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Man, I'm definitely wishing I'd had the opportunity to play this. It looks simply fantastic, and it's incredibly charming.

It also gives my mind room to speculate wildy, particular presented in this manner; to an extent I'm glad I missed it because I probably wouldn't have given my mind time to think over the details of the plot. I suspect I might have figured out what Sissel said to get Lynne to just go see the latest update okay? I ain't sayin' nuthin'. But I don't want to say because I don't want to spoil it in case I'm right, and because the game has so far been pretty good at subverting expectations.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

MShadowy posted:

Man, I'm definitely wishing I'd had the opportunity to play this. It looks simply fantastic, and it's incredibly charming.

It also gives my mind room to speculate wildy, particular presented in this manner; to an extent I'm glad I missed it because I probably wouldn't have given my mind time to think over the details of the plot. I suspect I might have figured out what Sissel said to get Lynne to just go see the latest update okay? I ain't sayin' nuthin'. But I don't want to say because I don't want to spoil it in case I'm right, and because the game has so far been pretty good at subverting expectations.

If you've not played before and don't know what's coming, I don't think that's spoilers.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Rule of thumb in LP: if you are legit reading blind, it's not spoilers to speculate, even (especially) if you are on to a theory that you like.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Well, spoiler tagged anyway, but here goes:

Sissel's insouciance in the face of death seems quite remarkable, especially given how given to shock and surprise his character is as a ghost -- though that's possibly just because his memories are absent. Lynne's surprise over whatever was said is noted even in game, but as chumbler noted it's made completely obvious through the quality of the animation; she moves from calm to physically taken aback, then stiffly draws her pistol and while raising it fires, possibly accidentally, before actually doing the fatal shoot, taking a few moments to steady herself. Sissel's lack of reaction throughout is made incredibly apparent, with how he's casually leaning up against the fence. Indeed, he seems so calm I can't help but feel it's almost as if he asked her to shoot him. It certainly would, at least, be a surprising thing to hear. On the other hand it would be ridiculous to take him up on that so.... eh, probably not, in restrospect.

Edit: Ehh, this was kinda dumb, maybe I should have held my peace.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 22, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It sounds like C38 pulled off some sweet Wikilicks on his guitar.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I think my favorite part of this game is all the little touches on the items in the various locations. They could have just done a wall clock, but instead they did one with a pendulum because why not? There's other stuff later that I can't mention but pretty much every character is the best character and pretty much every setting is the best setting :allears:

The only thing better than an LP of this game would be a blind LP of this game, with editing for messing up puzzles and whatnot. Just to hear the reactions of how loving bonkers things get. Half the time I played this game, something would happen and I would just say "holy poo poo" in either a surprised tone, or between gasps of air while laughing so hard at stuff. Like missile :3:

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Well, that's what the co commentator is for right? For those blind reactions without the fumbling around trying to figure out what to do.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Well...

I haven't played this game, and I'm glad I didn't because I wouldn't be able to sleep until I completed it! It looks amazing!

I have a bad habit of getting things half-right, so I 'll do the spoilery thing too just in case:

Sissel getting shot by Lynne is some sort of penance for what he did to D99 that put him on the hook for murder. Lynne is D99's relative of some sort, daughter maybe? Anywho, she is clearly shocked by all of this, and she did raise her gun to shoot, but ...I have no idea! She fired a warning round? Was that the lamp ghost jumping in at that point? But the second shot was like some zombie calculated shot. But people can't be possesed, that has already been established! Is this some sort of time loop malfunction where there are competing ghosts, because I can't imagine a game like this having just one character with these abilities. My theory is coming out scattered because I'm thinking of it on the fly. What I'm getting at is, the lamp ghost is a prior iteration of Sissel that was supposed to do something and failed, but things were altered on a macro scale juuuuuuust right so he can have another try to do whatever it is he's supposed to do. I have no clue why shooting himself would be critical to that, but if he's trying to correct his own mistake by killing himself, I guess I can get behind that

Regardless of the real story, I love these play mechanics!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

So yeah, when Jowd turned that painting around, I think I first fell in love with this game.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013
Well, no one has added this to their theory yet, but we currently have a Chehkov's Gun laying around unfired since Lynne's second death. The game has established that a ghost can assume a shape different than they had in life, meaning that the main character might not actually be Sissel depending on how honest our buddy Ray has been with us.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
One problem with that idea right now is that if that were true, then there isn't any character to attach Sissel to, with only one actual corpse present. There would need to be a time skip to dispose of any extra bodies. The simplest thing to do right now is to just assume everything we've seen so far is correct and nobody else died around that time of night.

Besides, the starting point of the game is from Sissel's body. Unless "unconscious spirits drifting" becomes a story mechanic, that doesn't work either, because we can assume he "woke up" in his corpse until then.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

Cheez posted:

One problem with that idea right now is that if that were true, then there isn't any character to attach Sissel to, with only one actual corpse present. There would need to be a time skip to dispose of any extra bodies. The simplest thing to do right now is to just assume everything we've seen so far is correct and nobody else died around that time of night.

Besides, the starting point of the game is from Sissel's body. Unless "unconscious spirits drifting" becomes a story mechanic, that doesn't work either, because we can assume he "woke up" in his corpse until then.

Well, there was that cat...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
This is going to sound a little bit crazy, but dead things don't move.

• Locked thread