Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

corn in the bible posted:

I did talk to all the NPCs I saw; you have to, to get through the chapter. Nobody mentioned anything. If you mean the magic mirror you find, of course that's significant and I will show it off but there's no reason Valanice would know it's there. I didn't try to steal the bird nine times though, mostly because why would I do that

Did you show the comb to everyone? I believe that's what gets the snake oil salesman to tell you both what he offers you and what he wants for it, including exactly where the magic mirror is, which then leads to your quest to obtain the mask. I promise it's all in there, and I didn't need any hints for the game until that stupid thing you have to do at the very, very end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I did not need any hints for this part either, because if you just follow along with the adventure game thing of doing stuff for people to get their items then you will do fine; using the mask is pretty well hinted at once you get it, for example. But it is a problem in storytelling if someone can genuinely succeed at your game and not know why they did it.

Azriel Odin
Jun 3, 2011

Somehow I knew this was gonna happen.

But here's an except from a 1994 ad that I found, which would likely be around the time they were finishing up work on King's Quest.
What the gently caress.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Nidoking posted:

The events in Falderal DO have a connection to the rest of the game - it's not Rosella you're after in there, but of course, if you don't talk to anyone, you don't learn anything. Again, you're doing the game a disservice and then complaining about it.

Also, the best line in the game results if you try to rescue the bird before talking to Fernando. You have to do it nine times.

It's a bad bad game

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I think showing how you can gently caress up the game and succeed without getting all the proper cues is pretty interesting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

<OVERCOME WITH GRIEF>

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Azriel Odin posted:

What the gently caress.

Must have been a great place to work, huh?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
citb's not giving kings quest 7 a fair shake, I'm going to go cry into a bowl over it

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Acne Rain posted:

citb's not giving kings quest 7 a fair shake, I'm going to go cry into a bowl over it

nah, i played it when i was a kid, and it's probably not a good thing that the only thing i remember about it was how drat terrible the animal town was

you should really find some voice clips, just saying how loving grating it is does a massive disservice to just HOW loving grating it is

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
imagine something shrieking THE SKY IS FAWLING DIDJA HEAR ME THE SKY IS FAWLING over and over and over and aggh kill me

CraigK fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 28, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The only good Sierra adventure games were the Gabriel Knight Trilogy and Phantasmagoria 2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CraigK posted:

imagine something shrieking THE SKY IS FAWLING DIDJA HEAR ME THE SKY IS FAWLING over and over and over and aggh kill me

When I mentioned to a friend I wanted to play through this game he suggested doing a video lp; I decided not to solely because it would mean listening to the voices. Valanice and Rosella aren't that bad, but the chicken and any other high pitched character (like the loving hummingbird) are just the worst.

Fun fact: the way to turn on subtitles was only discovered a few years ago. They're clearly janky but still preferable to THA SKAIY IS FAAAALLIN

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Nidoking posted:

Did you show the comb to everyone? I believe that's what gets the snake oil salesman to tell you both what he offers you and what he wants for it, including exactly where the magic mirror is, which then leads to your quest to obtain the mask. I promise it's all in there, and I didn't need any hints for the game until that stupid thing you have to do at the very, very end.
you seem awfully apologetic for this poo poo game that's bad

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Accordion Man posted:

The only good Sierra adventure games were the Gabriel Knight Trilogy and Phantasmagoria 2.

As much as I agree, it's funny to note that Lorelei Shannon, the writer of Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh, was also the co-writer with Roberta Williams on Kings Quest VII.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I wonder if it's a coincidence they brought in co-writers for the last games after exhausting most recognizable fairy tale references in 1-5.

Not that I'm saying Roberta Williams is creatively bankrupt or anything... Actually I am.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

CraigK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er6yp4tyI7I at :52 in

unbelievably obnoxious and with that driving sierra synthline

edit: and then AGAIN at 2 minutes in

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Thank you for not making this a video LP.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvonf7-Inr4

get hype

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Looking forward to beautifully rendered bullshit deaths and also apparently the rockbiter from neverending story

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Accordion Man posted:

Lighthouse.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Great Joe posted:

you seem awfully apologetic for this poo poo game that's bad

I'm saying that there's no need to go out of your way to make it look bad by avoiding things and then saying they don't exist at all. It's bad enough as it actually is.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Rama, Quest for Glory.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Whoa, Sierra still exists?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nidoking posted:

I'm saying that there's no need to go out of your way to make it look bad by avoiding things and then saying they don't exist at all. It's bad enough as it actually is.

It's true that citb makes the game look more disjointed than it actually is. I played the game, and I have no idea what is going on. But I appreciate his knowledge of how butchered the game was during development.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

steinrokkan posted:

Sort of... it was shut down years ago, this Sierra is actually just an off shoot of Activision

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Accordion Man posted:

There were other games that were good. Laura Bow was good. And the third of Gabriel was bad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

The trademark for Sierra still exists, but that's about it. They've been owned by Activision for ages, though, and haven't officially existed since 2008 when Activision retired the name, but even before that it was really just a name -- they haven't existed as a separately managed entity for over a decade. Activision brought back the name because, well, they own it and "Sierra Presents King's Quest 9" makes for good PR.

The game is actually being made by Odd Gentlemen, the developers of PB Winterbottom .

Interestingly, this is far from the first attempt to make a ninth King's Quest. In the manual for Mask of Eternity it mentioned that a ninth installment was "coming soon" and in interviews Roberta mentioned plans for a ninth, and even a tenth, story that she had planned out. Of course, Sierra fell apart not soon afterwards, so that never happened. Telltale Games also announced an episodic KQ project before quietly dropping it from their marketing, and fan-made sequel The Silver Lining stalled out when the developers realized you can make actual money if you do an original title instead. Now if only they'd make a new Quest for Glory...

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

steinrokkan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JQkRp-VFXQ

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

grandalt posted:

There were other games that were good. Laura Bow was good. And the third of Gabriel was bad.

The third Gabriel Knight was the best one. :colbert:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Now if only they'd make a new Quest for Glory...

http://www.hero-u.net/index.html

Or, you know, there's always Heroine's Quest.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Heroine's Quest is solid, but Hero U looks pretty bad in all the previews they've done. Also, there's Quest for Infamy, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCWDPTwflxw

:(

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hey - I was very careful not to mention that game, for a good reason.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

steinrokkan posted:

The third Gabriel Knight was the best one. :colbert:

Agree completely.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
There's also this, from the same people who made the QfG II remake: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125180296&searchtext=mages+initiation

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Dang. I was quite proud of the "crapped out" line, too, but to be fair, that was just my follow-up when Steve or Shawn gave me the first line.

And if you want to talk Hero U or Mage's Initiation, you might want to wait until they're actually finished. Does Hero U even have a demo yet? I know Mage's did a long time ago, but it was crude and I think they revamped the combat system since. Seems pretty neat, but you kind of have to have the game in order to play it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Nidoking posted:

Dang. I was quite proud of the "crapped out" line, too, but to be fair, that was just my follow-up when Steve or Shawn gave me the first line.

And if you want to talk Hero U or Mage's Initiation, you might want to wait until they're actually finished. Does Hero U even have a demo yet? I know Mage's did a long time ago, but it was crude and I think they revamped the combat system since. Seems pretty neat, but you kind of have to have the game in order to play it.

What, did you actually work on Quest for Infamy?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

What, did you actually work on Quest for Infamy?

Very little. I tossed some ideas in, and most of them didn't fit with what the creators wanted to do. I take the credit for that one line and one that's rather integral to a late-game quest that the team spent days arguing over. Possibly a few others that I've forgotten along the way. Also, the character "Ned O'King", which should really be a dead giveaway. My contribution to the game was largely financial in nature and got me an executive producer credit.

I sort of wanted to get my hands on the source code, and I still could, but I doubt I've got the time to learn AGS, and the team's source control was posts in the forum keeping track of who was working on the source at any time, so I don't think I could have added much to the actual production. I could possibly contribute a few interesting stories if someone does an LP of the game, but that's about it. They haven't even told me how to find the traditional Easter egg - one thing that having the source might be good for.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PART FIVE

Fernando leaves the shop once you return his bird. I might be wrong, but I think that's the last we're going to see of him. Outside, something else is going on:

There's some sort of costumed party going on in Archduke Fifi's house, and we've got a mask, so let's get on in there! Oddly, if you click the mask on Valanice she also automatically heads to Town Hall and to the party, so there's no wandering around town with a mask on.

The mask looks terrible. It's horribly jarring, and doesn't mesh with the Valanice sprite at all, so that it is very clear they just lazily drew the thing on top of her already existing animation. Watch:

Fifi le Yipyap is dancing. None of these new NPCs can be examined or interacted with in any way, because that might be fun or interesting, but we can talk to the duke.

Happy birthday, Arch-Duke Yipyap!
Thank you, my loyal thubject! YipYipYip!
Hee hee!

That's it. This room is more or less pointless, possibly a remnant of greater plans abandoned. Valanice goes out the back door and takes off her mask to save on animation.

This looks like a maze or a puzzle but it's actually just a fork to two completely linear paths with no choice in direction. I wound up going to the upside-down door first, which I discovered later is entirely there to waste your time. You don't get anything out of visiting it, not even exposition or plot.

The other door leads, indirectly, to a version of this room that's right-side up. You would think this is used for a puzzle, but actually there isn't one. All that coming here upside-down means is we can't pick up any of the items in the room. We can check out that sweet painting, though!

You would think they would have odne some proof-reading for this agme, but I guess that wasn't a priority. Here's something stupid.

Through the door is a room full of mirrors.

We can check some of this stuff out, but none of it is useful to us right now. There's cryptic writing on the Cherub statue, but Valanice can't read it. The way out is simply to click the third mirror from the left, and

GIF

Now we can grab that thing that fell out of the drawer! It is a "Magic Statuette."

That's it for now, there's nothing else we can do in Fifi's mansion. Back outside, the

THA SKAIY IS FAWLIN! BAKAWK! BAKAWK! shut up shut up shut up

The moon has fallen into the Falderal well, scaring away the mockingbird (a tragedy). Then the chicken turns into a series of animation errors.

Goodbye, mockingbird, we knew you all too briefly... let us remember some of his best lines, which I didn't put in the last update because it was too long already.

Such a bright mind, cut down in his prime. If you use the crying comb on the magic statuette it turns into a picture of Rosella.

Rosella is in mortal peril in the dark land of Ooga Booga.
Rosella! Oh, my baby!

But what's that in the mockingbird's nest?

It's a wooden nickel. Let's visit the "Faux Shop."

We cannot visit the Faux Shop until Valanice eats some salt crystals which makes the door lead into a shop instead of the alley behind it.

I found this wooden nickel, sir. What could I purchase with it?
Why, you can buy this wonderful book! The Wit and Wisdom of Falderal! Here you are, madam.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Would you be interested in this lovely mask, Ersatz?
Oh, I would! It's just magnificent! For that, I'll give you the best thing in my store.

Ah... Thank you, I suppose. Good day, sir. I am Valanice of Daventry.
I am Ersatz de Faux, the owner of this fine establishment. May I show you something in particular.
Pardon me for asking, Ersatz, but am I wrong in saying everything in your shop is, well, how can I put this...
Synthetic? Yes, you're absolutely right. I take pride in offering the widest selection of totally artificial things available anywhere. Why, even I myself am a mock turtle.

We can check out the shop's products, but that's all the stuff we can get out of Ersatz.

What does one do with false feet?
They make impersonating yetis as easy as pie, and they're wonderful for stepping on cockroaches.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha.

let's

backtrack

through

the

whole

game

because

that's

good

game

design

Aha! You offer me a book! I'll get my finest shepherd's crook!

When faced with how to get the moon out of the well, obviously most players' first thought would be "eat salt so I can trade a mask for a book in a magic fake store, then walk to the first screen of the game and trade it for a staff." Here's a fun fact, though: in the demo for the game, this mouse has a different design. This means that they redid all his animation at some point after releasing it, though it's not clear why. Very odd.

Oh, and someone wanted more of the badger guards' dialog, so here's one of the other things they can say when you enter the city:

Thanks for the warning little fellow.
Oh, big fat hairy rats.

There are rat people living right in this town, so I guess the badger is just a fuckin' racist.

her face

I thaw what you jutht did! You jutht thtole the moon! MOON THIEF! Yapyapyap HUMAN! (slurp) yipyipyip PARTY
I arrest you for all of the reasons My Lord the Arch-Duke Yipyap stated, plus the heinous and disgusting crime of having no fur or feathers to hide your bald face. Let's lock her up until we figure out what to do with her.
YipYipYip SEIZE HER!

End of chapter. Time taken: 26 minutes. I don't think Retsupurae ever made it this far, so I guess I... win?

Here's something worth knowing, though: they wanted to cut the moon plotline entirely, as they had already excised a fair bit of it, but left it in solely so they could have a cliffhanger at the end of Chapter Three. So there's that.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

End of chapter. Time taken: 26 minutes. I don't think Retsupurae ever made it this far, so I guess I... win?

Moral victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

• Locked thread