Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

I like Draft Souls as a general gamescast. Hosted by Matt Lees who wrote for a couple places in the past, but I know from the tabletop game site Shut Up and Sit Down. People who were talking about enjoying Scottish accents last thread would be wise to try this one out, lots of the guests are Scottish.

Well, two Scots. And two Welsh people. And a lass from Northern Ireland. It's a good intro to accents at any rate.

I find Daft Souls to be all over the place tonally speaking. One week it's pretty level-headed and insightful, the next it's 40 minutes of guests calling people cunts and making poo poo jokes. It's hugely dependent on who the guests are and it's almost an entirely different podcast with certain groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Ulta posted:

As someone sensitive to Bloodborne spoilers, how should I approach Giant Bomb, Idle Thumbs, etc this week? I'm at the second boss currently.

As if Idle Thumbs would play anything that's not a mobile or itch.io game!

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jippa posted:

They played the game they just don't spoil it.

I was being facetious. It's a bit of a joke even on IT that they don't play games...

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jippa posted:

Ha ha yeah I remember that from the crate and crowbar, any one remember which episode? They straight up told them this at an event.

It's from the most recent episode, I think.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

My only real beef with Crate & Crowbar is that they just sort of fizzle out for me, and I've never been able to figure out why. By the third or fourth topic of an episode I'm tuning them out and just move on to whatever show is next on my mp3 player

Huh. They tend to be really focused and on topic and unlike idle thumbs et al they very rarely over indulge in the in jokes. Everyone gets time to talk in depth about one or two topics, they answer (good) questions, podcast over.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Tir McDohl posted:

Welcome to Idle Thumbs for the past couple of years.

Idle Thumbs is the place to go if you want to hear Chris ramble on about some half baked ideas based on a demo he's never played of a game he's never played in a game series he's never played.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Listening to Crate & Crowbar and Daft Souls in my regular rotation really highlights the difference between the shows.

C&C is frequently quite negative, sometimes harshly so, on many of the games they talk about. But they explain why and regularly do deep dives into mechanics and systems to explain in detail precisely why they don't like the game. So while C&C can sometimes be accused of being negative towards games, as a listener I always find it fascinating and insightful.

Daft Souls goes the other direction entirely. They've settled on a more even tone in the last six months, but they're very much all about positivity and talking about games they really love. Unfortunately, this often translates into bitterness over the fact that other people don't necessarily like these games. The Destiny chat is usually repetitive at the best of times, but by Christ is it made so much worse by the sulky way in which they talk about fan reactions to games. This bleeds over into so much stuff now; I can't remember the last episode where they didn't whine about players or fans of a series. It comes across as massively insecure and a little immature.

Blops 3 is a good example. C&C had a lot of negative things to say about it, but the discussion was entirely worthwhile and they justified their views with considered opinion on multiple aspects of the game. The guys on Daft Souls said they loved it but spent a not insignificant amount of time bleating about people who dislike the series or write it off.

To me it's a really jarring difference in approach, and I'm certain Daft Souls is made worse by the comparison. Might be time for me to prune my list again. Is Idle Thumbs worth listening to again? I saw Danielle left and she was the one person you could guarantee would a) play games and b) only hold very strong opinions on topics she actually knew something about.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

KoldPT posted:

I'm just dropping in to let everyone know to please listen to Idle Weekend. It's my favorite gaming podcast I've ever listened to - the chemistry between Rob and Danielle is something I was not expecting to be so strong, even though I was already hoping the podcast would be good. I started listening to Idle Thumbs because Danielle had become a regular, and while it's not like her absence has made the show worse, it's changed the tone a little bit - Weekend brings that "hey I played x game and it was great because ____" feel back, together with a really tight focus you get from having less cast members, and the capacity they have to discuss stuff beyond videogames.

I've yet to listen to yesterday's episode, but I'm sure it'll keep the quality the first two had. Go listen to it!

Yeah, this. I liked both of them in other podcasts and so far it's been great. Just the two of them means it's cosy and quite personal and they're absolute naturals. It's a cool conversation we're allowed to eavesdrop on. Considering how many podcasts are really, uh, "tryhard" (for want of a better term), this has become an instant must-listen for me.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Idle Thumbs is back to being good again. More Nick is helping. His Mum's diary stuff he read out recently was legitimately funny and touching.

Idle Weekend is great.

Really though, I'm mostly just appreciating the quality and uh listenability <ugh> of the stuff I go through on a weekly basis. Sure, I rag on Daft Souls but it's still pretty slick.

I recently tried to get into some podcasts for the miniatures game Guild Ball and there's heaps of them but they're all absolutely unlistenable for various reasons. lovely audio, lovely injokes, HURR HURR I'M A BLUFF NORTHERNER lovely presenters, utterly soporific casters with Kirk-style speech patterns, or just unbearably loud and obnoxious australians - truly it runs the full gamut of godawful shite.

So what I'm saying is we have loads of good videogaming podcasts and we should be happy :)

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jippa posted:

I just got the end of the latest episode we need to know what happened to the bear.

Keep listening?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I find Crate & Crowbar to be excellent at still having meaningful talk about games they've only played for x hours or are wary of spoiling, because they'll often focus on a mechanic or a theme and really dig into it.

Just listened to the most recent Idle Weekend. I admit I was expecting the worst as soon as they introduced Tom Chick - it's a personal thing - but dear Christ it was terrible. Idle Weekend is at its best when Danielle and Rob are having a natural conversation and adding in their personal perspectives on things, and having an insufferable smuglord basically run the chat for the first half of the episode made it into the world's worst episode of Three Moves Ahead instead. Tonally it was completely different to everything we've had so far and I was grimacing listening to some of it. Oh well.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

His game being "MOBA players are just failed RTS players :smug: " and "The Witness just teaches you to complete the Witness puzzles so you can complete more Witness puzzles THEREFORE IS BAD" and "I'm bad at XCOM2 which is the game's fault"

:bravo:

(Alright, I'm done.)

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

XCOM2 is hardly broken. Buggy, yes. Different to XCOM1, yes. Difficult when you're at zero knowledge, yes. Broken, no, which is why the XCOM2 thread is full of people absolutely loving the game and completing campaigns in Ironman (while recognising the flaws)

The Witness literally being a progression of mechanics that you have to consistently learn and apply while being taught new things is not a criticism of the game, it's blowhard nonsense. In essence, it's a complaint that the computer game is a computer game. I'm no Jon Blow fan and I sure as hell have no interest in the audio tapes and all that jazz, but mechanically the game just has a learning curve like every other puzzle game worth playing.

MOBAs are some sort of holy war inspiring thing so I can understand people just plain not liking them, it was more a comment on how Idle Weekend went from chilled conversation to the sort of stupid poo poo you hear on practically every other podcast and it grated.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Don't be a dick. I was done ranting but happy to respond to replies to me with something with a bit more substance.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Yeah, cool. For the vast majority of people it's just a bit buggy. Seriously, go do a straw poll in the thread. There wouldn't be so many people completing it on iron man if it was broken.

Regardless, that wasn't what they were talking about on the cast.

E: I think the bugs are pretty well known by now, given the sheer volume of people playing. Many of the ones you've listed simply haven't cropped up for the hundreds of people reporting bugs so I wonder whether the review copy was even buggier.

Thirsty Dog fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 17, 2016

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I started at 2 (they deleted 1) and am up to about 200. Only 150 more to go!

I don't like Tom Chick very much. The episode about women in strategy games really soured me on him. He also seems incredibly smug all the time. That said I still enjoy when he's on the podcast. Plus Bruce Geryk is a national treasure and Tom works well with him.

Bruce is great and his video series on war games is worth watching.

Don't read Tom's column about female characters in games.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

There's a ton of bugs, I won't sugar coat that and I'm not trying to defend Firaxis or anything. But game crashes are super rare, and the only genuinely game-breaking bug is an issue with loading saves when there's buried Chryssalids on the map. Most other stuff is display bugs and some load time issues, and they're usually solved by a save/reload.

Performance wise, AA is an absolute dog for all systems but the game is "fine" when you turn it down/off. The last mission chugs a bit for everyone.

Star Citizen it ain't.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

It *feels* harder than 1, because you're more likely to fail missions (indeed, you should probably fail some missions if you're ironmanning, because escaping and surviving is a better idea than a squad wipe) and both the tactical and strategic layers really pile on the pressure with various timers and comms chatter. But it's actually quite forgiving.

For an XCOM game, anyway.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Can we get back to talking about how bad a person Total Biscuit is or get coyote back in here or something, anything would be preferable to this loving series of sermons to opposing choirs.

It's mostly people on the same side talking to each other right now but OK

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

Sounds like you just really hate British people.

I'm English and one of the reasons TB just annoyed me was how he played up his accent and "Britishness". Plus it can make him sound super smug. Well, that and the super smug stuff he's usually saying, I guess.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Cactus posted:

I just subscribed to idle thumbs because of this thread. If I like the bombcast and the crate and crowbar, then that would mean I've done a goodgreatbrilliantfantastic thing. I hope I'm right.

You'll love it.

Mind you, I'm crazy and I happen to think this is the best primer to Idle Thumbs: http://www.thisyearcollection.org/2011/10/18-idle-thumbs.html which is 360 minutes of stuff harvested from their earlier days. It's genuinely hilarious and contains the genesis of a lot of in-jokes and references that you'll not understand if you decide you like IT and listen to a few earlier episodes on your own.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The thirtieth fireman joke on c&c sure didn't grate at all (they're not firemen, guys)

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Quoting a post of mine from last year:

Thirsty Dog posted:

Daft Souls goes the other direction entirely. They've settled on a more even tone in the last six months, but they're very much all about positivity and talking about games they really love. Unfortunately, this often translates into bitterness over the fact that other people don't necessarily like these games. The Destiny chat is usually repetitive at the best of times, but by Christ is it made so much worse by the sulky way in which they talk about fan reactions to games. This bleeds over into so much stuff now; I can't remember the last episode where they didn't whine about players or fans of a series. It comes across as massively insecure and a little immature.

So Daft Souls dialed this up to 11 in the latest episode and I just can't be arsed any more. Mining the rich seam of humour that is bleating about the "PC master race" crowd for 20 minutes was audio hell. Maybe as a one-off, or if it was, y'know, funny or interesting, but they spend so long sneering at people and just whining at faceless caricatures that I just can't be bothered with the podcast any more.

Ah well. At least PC Gamer UK has started up again, although the sound levels are all over the shop and it's not yet a C&C-standard podcast.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Yeah same episode. It degenerates from there.

PCG is currently a little too dry for my tastes. It's interesting but right now it sounds like a bunch of guys doing a podcast because everyone else is, and I don't think they've found their niche yet. It's not terrible aside from the sound level issues they've had.

Not listened to the latest episode but the previous one they recorded while a load of drilling was going on. Seriously guys, postpone recording if that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Chris Remo posted:

Sean was also just on the podcast less for work/life/etc reasons, and everyone was just kind of less consistently committed to showing up because when there are half a dozen people who CAN be there, and one individual person doesn't feel that personal individual responsibility to be there. So scheduling it was kind of becoming crappy for me since I had to cajole an arbitrary crew from a rotating cast each week, and it really made sense to try and say "Okay who is actually going to decide to commit to this thing every week?" Obviously Sean or others like Spaff are still around and no doubt will pop in but the musical chairs thing was becoming a real detriment to the sustainability of the show.

That sort of host ennui can really kill the quality of a podcast in no time. Glad you decided to do that.

• Locked thread