Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thanks to whoever recommended Top Score at the end of the last thread, I cherry-picked some episodes out of their feed for games I like and it's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
That WOFF almost made me want to pick up Modern Warfare, which is much closer than any other piece of video game media has gotten me so good job on that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Retronauts- count me as another guy who loves Super Mario World but only remembers that when people are talking about it. I think that was my first console game (or at least I remember having that, Aladdin, and Magical Quest when I first got my system) and I think I even remember my mom trying to play it once or twice :allears:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 1, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Honestly, I played Super Metroid for the first time a few years ago and it was a chore to finish. It just felt super clunky and floaty compared to the Marios and Mega Mans (Mega Men?) I was playing in the early 90s instead, over even more recent 2D Metroids like Fusion and Zero Mission. I'd probably just chalk that up to when I first experienced it relative to other games but I'd be surprised if it's as good as you remember.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I loved Prime and it was my first Metroid game, so the obvious solution is that I lock myself in my apartment for the weekend and marathon both back-to-back.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
As someone who spends as much time listening to podcasts about video games as playing them, I am down with the slow transition to the Idle Thumbs zoo crew. Also nice Tokyo Jungle deep cut, I loved that game but never got far enough to be a bad rear end animal.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

_jink posted:

I still love idle thumbs with all my heart, but it's slightly worrying how 'doesn't play any games' continues to slide from jake joke to maybe an actual problem with the podcast.

I probably spend more time listening to podcasts about video games than I do playing actual games, so while it's not exactly what you're worrying about I understand where they're coming from. It's tough for me to find time to really sit down with a game and binge on it these days. Even right now we just moved and I'm unemployed, but I spend most of my time unpacking and job-hunting (while listening to said podcasts, another point in their favor). Being a grown-up is great for some things but sucks for other things :negative: Surely I'm not the only one with this problem?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
WOFF guys you forgot to mention the best part about the King of All Cosmos, which is the weird record-scratch noise he makes when he speaks (I haven't listened to the Extrasode yet so I have no idea if anyone else pointed that out)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If there's anyone else out there subscribed to Axe of the Blood God, Kat Bailey did a really good interview of 8-4 Play on the latest episode about localization and some of their specific jobs like FE: Awakening. I normally don't like 8-4 Play's podcast but having someone else in the room to ground them made for a surprisingly good episode (and also reminded me that I'm still ignoring the copy of Awakening I bought last year)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Since this is a podcast thread this is kind of on-topic: there's a pretty good episode of This American Life about trolls where a feminist internet writer talks to the most virulent troll she ever encountered on a Skype call or something and he basically admits that he did it because he was a giant loser who felt bad about himself and resented that a woman he didn't find attractive was happy and apparently-confident. It simultaneously manages to depict his behavior as unambiguously wrong and pathetic while also humanizing him.

I can't imagine why anyone interested in the games industry would find it interesting!

I thought it came out that part or all of this story was faked in some way, or highly embellished? Maybe I'm thinking of a different episode.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Opposing Farce posted:

The only problem with Paper Mario is that it's not TTYD.

Shocking confession time: I had to force myself to get as far in TTYD as I did (I think 6/7 MacGuffins or whatever), and then I consciously chose to not finish it. I thought the game was a horrible slog and not nearly as funny as Superstar Saga (which I had beaten around that time), but people seem to love it and I'm wondering what I missed. If I had the time I'd go back and replay it just to find out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Kole I've seen you post in the Uhh Yeah Dude thread before so I'm going to assume that your "Law Offices of Spiderman & Spiderman" joke was a super-deep UYD cut.

Also sort of related but sort of not, right after that ep my fiancée and I had a debate about whether Spider-Man 1 or 2 was better, she says 1 but I say 2.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

gently caress yeah more KC Green in my life, thank you for this.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If anyone here likes Final Fantasy VI, Top Score's latest episode is about ludomusicology and how the opera scene in that game is an allegory for the game's whole story. That game rules and the first time I got to that part of the game was a big turning point for my interest in video games, as cliche as that sounds.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

bobservo posted:

New Retronauts about A Link to the Past is now live! I haven't been promoting our stuff in this thread lately, but I REALLY like this episode.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/this-week-retronauts-explores-a-true-legend-of-zelda

This was a cool episode, and holy crap I never drew that connection between rabbit Link in LttP and Ravio in LBW :stare:

And thank God they didn't make Majora's Mask a 7-day cycle, that would have killed any tension in the game unless the world was way bigger.

E: That Sleep No More reader mail in last week's Thumbs reminded me of the sex cult scene in Eyes Wide Shut. God what they wrote about must have been weird to experience.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 18, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've never played a Metal Gear game (never owned a Sony console) but after hearing the way IT and other podcasts have gushed over MGS5 I really want to check it out. It's a shame that, in its current state, Konami will probably never put out a MGS HD Collection of 1-4 or something to that effect. That's one of the few series I can think of where I would buy such a collection.

Also TTYD holds the dubious honor of being the furthest I've gone in a video game before saying "you know what, I don't care to see the rest of this". It's like the one time in my life I'll be able to defy the sunk cost fallacy and, I had to waste it on a video game. It didn't help that I played Superstar Saga right before it, a game that did everything better from the mechanics to the humor to the pacing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

The REAL Goobusters posted:

????????????????

Uhmmm

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B00CTKHXFO

(oh just read you don't have a sony console, just find a ps3 or something for cheap or borrow from a friend or something)

Actually I legit had no idea that this existed. Thanks!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Speaking of past Metal Gear games, Chris said on the new IT that MGS 1 and 3 were his favorites. I keep hearing this general breakdown where people either think 1 and 3 are the better half of the series, or 2 and 4 are. Why is this? Were the even-numbered games designed similarly, and the odds ones were as well?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Danielle I must say I'm a big fan of your pro-Junior Mints stance. Finally, a hot button gaming issue that I care about :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Re: Nic Cage chat on Abject Suffering and doing a Cage-a-thon, Raising Arizona, Wild at Heart, and Bringing Out the Dead are also legitimately good films and Drive Angry is a real stupid good time as well as being mercifully brief compared to Face/Off.

Was on my mind because one of my friends challenged me to name a good Nicolas Cage movie this past weekend and I almost poo poo a freakin' loot crate!!!

The Bad Lieutenant with Nic Cage was also fantastic, it even had Xzibit and fat Val Kilmer!
It was on Netflix a few years ago, I was sad when they took it down :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ulta posted:

Austin Walker is my favorite new podcasting personality of 2015 (yes I know he has been podcasting for several years prior, but that was an actual play podcast). He's the anti Dan Rykert, but not in a hostile or canceling way, more of a ying and yang thing.

Austin is Patrick Klepek without the pretention and superiority complex :can: Not that I didn't like Patrick when he was around but I could listen to Austin talk about anything and he does the "intellectual gamer" thing so well. Agreed that he has been great on GBEast but he needs a guest spot on Thumbs ASAP.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

PantsBandit posted:

I love using the giant bomb GOTY podcasts for driving material. That said, I think it's time they retire their "best story" category. It's painfully boring listening to them describe the plots of each game beat for beat and doesn't really offer that much as a category that isn't already covered by 'best character" or one of their other plot categories.

Oh great, this is where I left off on my listen-through. I like their GOTY stuff as a summary of the year since I'm usually only buying one or two games each year, but man it's a marathon to get through it all.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Pro-tier Thumbs episode this week, I hope to God that my parents didn't keep a journal of all the bizarre things I said/did as a child. They've told me most of the highlights anyway.

Also per Thumbs' brief discussion of Myst, Myst is probably my personal example of "I understand the criticism people lay on this game but I don't care" because I still love that game, even if it comes across as really primitive after 20+ years. And I'm not even a big adventure game guy, that game just really resonated with me, probably because after starting my video game days on the Game Boy and SNES it was one of my first PC games, and definitely the first where I thought "there's no way I could play this any other way".

VV Thumbs touched on it for a bit in their ep, I wasn't referring to WOFF. I have no idea what their stance is.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 23, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
While we're getting political in here, I just want to give a shout out to Spaf for the Chris Christe/Dave Davies remark on the latest Thumbs.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

MinibarMatchman posted:

wondering what the current WOFF schedule for this year is now...I keep foolishly hoping No More Heroes

Oh God yes please, I know it's not a masterpiece by any means but it's a cool game that more people should talk about.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks Retronauts for doing a two-hour episode on Uematsu's music, I was that nerd who Limewire'd a shitload of FF music in high school (sometimes from games I hadn't even played!). I found my iPod from that era a few weeks ago and all that stuff was still on there, made for a fun day or two at work going through everything.

Also since you are homies with Kat Bailey please buy her a new microphone or audio editing software or something, every time I hear her on a podcast she's either way too loud or way too quiet, which sucks because I actually want to hear what she has to say!

E: Also thank you for remembering the Blue Dragon boss music, even though I only know it from Barkley Shut Up And Jam :allears:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 23, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jippa posted:

In idle thumbs robot news. Not only will the robots kill us but they will sound like a general bull poo poo poster when they do it.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/24/microsoft-scrambles-limit-pr-damage-over-abusive-ai-bot-tay

I already wrote into them about this and I better not have been the only one.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I wasn't expecting to come out of that Portal episode wanting to replay Portal, but here I am with Portal re-installed. It's doing some weird thing where bars appear on the screen for a moment every time a portal spawns though, gonna need that to not happen.

Also 2007 is when I met my wife so I thought it was a good year :shobon:

Pasco posted:

Easily one of the top 5 most important games of all time.

I wonder what that list looks like. I think Game Informer did an article like that years ago but it was 1) 25 games, and 2) before a lot of modern gaming trends like MOBAs, post-WoW MMOs and even the annualized military shooter. WoW might have been on that list though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Having finished the Portal WOFF this past weekend, I used the term "verb set" at work today and impressed my boss with it, so thanks for that I guess.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

END ME SCOOB posted:

So if you don't back Duckfeed's stuff on Patreon, now might be a good time to reconsider:

For about five seconds I thought this said "R. Kelly discography" and it was the most magical five seconds I've had in quite some time.

Also I don't know if this is the new norm because I don't listen to every WOFF, but the intro music used for the Portal episode was great and should be the mainstay going forward, also re-make the outro in that same style

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

END ME SCOOB posted:

You son of a bitch, now I want this.

Thank my brain's auto-complete function for that one. Also as someone who knows more R. Kelly songs than you might think, most of them are about loving so it wouldn't be super-meaty analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
That NBA 2k16 multiplayer sounds rad, what a cool concept. Can you just stand in the "lobby" and walk between games to watch them, or do the other MP games only load when you yourself are in a match?

• Locked thread