Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Reacean posted:

You only need to look to a recent release: Axiom Verge, to see that for sure. That's a game that could, theoretically, have pages and pages of text explaining secrets and other things, but there's only like, a thread on Neogaf and a single website with an incomplete map.

I think that has less to do with the modern times and more that it's an indie game on console. Bloodborne still has its usual info scraping in non-video form as before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jippa posted:

Shawn Elliot is on Patrick Klepek's podcast.

I don't think the actual episode is up yet though.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/inventory-management/id968634978?mt=2

I didn't know Patrick had a podcast.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Super Best Friendcast talked about those issues, probably because they actually use and dealt with skyrim mods on a regular basis.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Alex sounds the same as he does on the power bombcasts. He's a good foil to most situations, the only time it didn't work out is when he's paired with someone similar to him in Patrick.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Giantbomb's slowly heading into IGN territory where they have a podcast for every day of the week.

Current list:
-Bombcast
-Beastcast
-F1 racing seasonal with Danny+Drew
-Bi-weekly life podcast with Dan+Danny
-Power Bombcast

And random stuff occasionally like that rifftrax on Rocky 4, book podcast, Dan's Father podcast, etc.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't care that they're covering different topics or that their podcast sucks in general, I just don't get why they're transitioning into a podcast network when they barely have the passion or insight to sustain what they're already doing.

....How would you know this if you never listened to them?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

That excuse has gotten pretty old. Maybe his friend dieing doesn't invalidate everyone's criticisms about anything he does forever.

His father passed away recently as well, you robot.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I guess it's hard from an outside perspective, but visual novels have a distinct style that's way more book-y and less gamey than Ace Attorney and Ghost Trick. Like a non-sports person seeing the major differences between the NBA and College basketball.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Do you mean the Tanker part of Metal Gear Solid 2? I thought that was the only reason anyone bought/rented ZoE.

It's a legitimately good action mech franchise that plays more like robot Bayonetta that's always flying.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

darkseid, what do I honestly have to do for you to accept gameinformer's podcast on the list.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's plenty of rhythm-based jrpgs battle systems, and FF8/Legend of Dragoon pre-dated Paper Mario in that department.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The main draw of KOTOR 2 is that it questions the universe and basically calls out the Jedi order as magical hippies and why should they follow them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Woffle posted:

Absolutely this. I feel weird and racist thinking it but I keep running into examples of tortured Japanese writing filled with too much exposition in video games. A lot of writing in western games (or all games) is bad but it seems like this particular sin comes up in Japanese games more than anything. It's a huge turn off for me.

I'd love to see Raymond Carver's editor tackle something like 999. Or any editor, really.

I mean, one of your earlier episodes apparently called the japanese born to be autists, so it's consistent.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Most translations nowadays are from relatively cheap localizations (in terms of big companies) and shortcutting a repeat saves them so many days of work.

It's also a thing when the japanese meddle into the localization more, compare MGS1 to future MGS when Kojima was more involved in the dialogue, and then compare Revengence which had the least Kojima involvement.

There's also the context of database culture, where creators design based on a trope first because that is the quickest way to recognize and sell in a country where anything outside of mobile and dedicated handheld games have been on the decline for the past decade

quote:

It's part of a syndrome in Japanese stuff called "Database Culture" where familiar uncontroversial characters are recycled again and again with minor differences because it makes it easier to pander to otaku if they can effectively pick the familiar and like it without context. The Senran Kagura characters are mixes of generic archetypes with anime/cultural in-jokes and lots of big ol' titties. For literally any character in the game you could trace almost every element of them back to something else that way popular that they are a knock-off of. A huge chunk of their attack animations, weapons, character dialogue or backstories are either intentional cliches (usually played up for comedic effect) or references to other things. For example there's a character with a Pile Bunker who makes shot-for-shot references to the Alt Eisen, another who uses Saint Seiya attacks, another who has a GaoGaoGar-themed super move, and so-on.

The Database Culture stuff is just an excessive variation because it tends to be really... blunt for lack of a better word. It's partially just a cultural difference but there have been anime/game developers who have complained that they're discouraged from doing anything that might not fit in database culture because it makes it harder to sell in an instant.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Five Night fan videos own for no other reason than the creator telling the guy he's wrong on almost everything.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Virtue's Last Reward is pretty stand-aloney. Like basically Alien to AlienS. It helps and there's reference points, but you can play it with a basic wiki of 999 and not miss much.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

KoldPT posted:

I was thinking about watching a playthrough of Bloodborne so I can listen to the current season of Bonfireside Chat. Is there any playthrough you lovely thread-readers recommend? I was considering the one Danielle did with Phil Kollar for polygon, but I dunno if there's anything more interesting. Geop's LP of Dark Souls was what originally got me into the series, so I was hoping for something as fun as that.

Are you asking for a playthrough other than EpicNameBro?

I mean, the only other complete playthrough I know of that's basically blind with 2 or more people is the Superbestfriends LP.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

90 percent of media is trash, the only difference is that people don't have a filter built up for anime yet. Mentioning monster whatever is basically the same as going "ride to hell/hatred is awful, that's why games are all terrible!"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of past Metal Gear games, Chris said on the new IT that MGS 1 and 3 were his favorites. I keep hearing this general breakdown where people either think 1 and 3 are the better half of the series, or 2 and 4 are. Why is this? Were the even-numbered games designed similarly, and the odds ones were as well?

1 and 3 are basically spy movies, while 2 and 4 go more into the memetic technobabble and terminology.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Woffle posted:

This forum.... What was it Zombie's Downfall said? Something like, "There are threads more hostile than this one but none more inexplicably so."

Please don't equate one lunatic poster as the ambassador to the thread, especially one that thinks mental disorder is a made-up thing and can be solved by just smoking weed

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I assume jrpgs are completely not your thing if something short like MGS5's intro almost destroyed your interest.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The one thing people agree on MGS5 is that it's by a mile the one with the least cutscenes. Its story and plot is a large majority in cassette tapes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Woffle posted:

I'm not still under the impression the whole game is a non interactive Kojima gently caress fest. We're talking about his decision to take his most gameplay focused game ever and hide it behind a one hour movie wall. Everything I've read about it makes it sound like the Metal Gear I'm most likely to love without reservations (though, you know, MGS3, come on).

I think you're putting way too much past history into it. It's a fancy tutorial that sets the plot of the game rather bluntly. Would you say the Witcher 3's beginning is a movie wall? Because it's pretty much no difference between that and MGS5's intro.

(Unless you don't like the Witcher 3)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Stop being a baby about it.

Stop, in general.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

idk why that guy who quoted gary talking about me said i didn't believe in mental illness or whatever, i don't know anything.

If you're talking about me, I'm not talking about you. It's the guy that acted like Thousand Door ate his dog.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wishing people get raped is not funny in any context

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Did I miss something

That guy that wanted Dan to get prison raped because he's too loud sometimes

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I can't remember if it was jake or not, but his confusion on the quiet attack scene made me pause the podcast, because outside of the description of the scene, almost all the details were wrong or completely opposite.

I get critiquing the stupid stuff like the camera angles and poses, but complaining about something that didn't happen irked me a bit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Despite numerous attempts to get this podcast recognized and never put in the OP, check out Gameinformer's weekly podcast for an interview with Toby Fox at the end (It's timestamped): http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podca...e-toby-fox.aspx

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I took a listen to their podcast, and one guy's whole conversation was that the battles are useless because they just give text makes me want to avoid it, cause that's some robot/data of Star Trek levels of analysis.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's not a Platinum game, technically.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Congrats Retronauts, you got your english DQ 7 (And 8).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm not exactly deep into the undertale hype so I never heard "the game that fixes jrpgs."

I mean, if your problem with jrpgs is random encounters and stuff, jrpgs for the most part have stopped that since like....2008? It's a rarity more often than not nowadays, unless they go for that specific old school feel like Bravely default.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Austin Walker of Giant Bomb prefers Dark Souls 2 over 1 (because he prefers games that are different, and DS1 was too similar to Demon Souls in comparison)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ansem is _____

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I feel like half the game podcast network is filled with colorblind people.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think that brings back to the comment about "who the gently caress doesn't have color blind options in 2015"

I actually can't think of many games that do have that option. I was confused if that was really common?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

"I want a game to play like poo poo" is indeed a thing a crazy, depressive person would say.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Yoko Taro games are remembered for their batshit story and incredible music, nobody sane is going "Yeah, I really miss that super bad dynasty warriors/devil may cry terrible combat" as why it's remembered so fondly. His games didn't really have mechanical quirks, just poor gameplay because his team wasn't experienced on the playing side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

I played a good few dozen hours of Fallout 3 and enjoyed it, but got bored of New Vegas right around the time I actually reached New Vegas. At the time I just attributed it to Fallout fatigue, but I also didn't really see whatever the improvements were that people were so happy about. It just felt like Fallout 3, again, this time with a worse world map. Is all the good stuff in New Vegas proper?

If the idea on a world that you never have to fight with an extensive dialogue option isn't your thing, I can see how Vegas is boring as poo poo. Games that are praised for things like "The NPC's have stories that progress as you go through the game!" don't appeal me one bit.

I actually recently played Vegas like a month ago. Game is pretty much uncrashable, so people that are afraid from goons playing the game like 10 years ago don't have to be worried on PC.

• Locked thread