Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Song For The Deaf posted:

If anyone here likes The Level, I just posted Episode 100. http://duckfeed.tv/lvl/100

Yay. I'm doing a long run tonight and wasn't sure what I'd listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Kole - Why did you stop uploading the level to soundcloud? My easy access to the best podcast is now slightly more difficult. :(

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Cool, thanks. I wondered if you had a new account for it, but couldn't find it while searching.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The newest Level was good (as always). The shirt bit early on got weird. You backed off the point Kole, but I'm with you. Clothes like that are tacky. It's not about what's on the shirt either - if it were a sports team logo or something, it would be just as tacky.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Woffle posted:

Yeah, but we're making up for that by doing Doom 2 next.

Definitely don't go down the rabbit hole that is doom wads, but maybe take a quick look at the current state to see how the game has evolved over 20 years of active development (specifically probably Back to Saturn x).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HMS Boromir posted:

This, except the exact opposite.

Well, I'd love a podcast that explores Doom wads in the type of depth with which Gary and Kole cover the souls series (Doom Radio is too inconsistent), but being realistic to a single episode length...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Listened to the Doom 2 WOFF. Pretty good intro to Doom stuff, I enjoyed it.

I think I had a few things that I wanted to comment on, but only two come to mind right now

- try Tricks and Traps on Ultra Violence. I don't think difficulty levels all that much in the stock maps, but this one's entire gimmick happens on UV

- Going Down, mentioned quickly by Gary, is by this guy

And a question - how did you guys play the game? I gathered that you used a source port, and that you didn't use vertical mouselook, but other than that?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HMS Boromir posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I haven't played it on anything below UV in a long time, so the only difference I remember is that there's way fewer invincibility powerups in that one room and there's a Cyberdemon in there.

The one big difference I noticed in the woffboyz' descriptions of the levels is that they conspicuously didn't get a Spider Mastermind in The Crusher. I hate that guy.

The cyberdemon is the thing - they got barons surrounding a baron, which means no infighting. It just seems like that level was set up to demonstrate the power of infighting. A fun combat scenario type map, invalidated on lower difficulty levels.

Woffle posted:

I played the vanilla Doom 2 from Steam using WASD and arrow keys. I eventually used a source port for mods, however.

Keyboard only, cool.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Listened to the latest The Level. I'm going to be interested to hear Dennis' final take on the Talos Principle in a few weeks. It's a fair bit longer than he thinks, and the story does get pretty good. Probably my favorite game last year.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hakkesshu posted:

If you're gonna go to the trouble to get an MVS system why wouldn't you want the genuine thing? You could just emulate it otherwise. But at least there's no important on-board memory on Neo Geo carts unlike with GBA/DS, where lovely bootleg batteries will wipe your save within a month. That's the real reason why you don't want bootleg games, other than paying real money for a fake product.

I have flash carts for the nes / snes / genesis. I want the experience of playing in the console itself, I don't care if the games are "real" or not. I imagine his reason is similar.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hakkesshu posted:

A flash cart is a dramatically easier/smarter/cheaper solution than buying bootleg carts individually. I dunno it's not my place to judge, do what works for you, but the bootleg market is such a harmful thing in general for people who care about physical games, especially once you get up in the GBA/DS era because of how lovely the build quality is like I mentioned.

For ds / gba sure I agree (also you can get flash carts so do that). For mvs carts though?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Osmosisch posted:

Man, that Pacte des loups episode was such a breath of fresh air. Wonderful to hear you guys having fun again. Wat a gorgeous, glorious mess that film is.

Yeah I listened to it earlier this week. I love that movie, including how long it is. If you cut out big parts of the first half I think you'd lose a lot of what makes it special.

I think the bit about the relationship between the main character and the woman going sour when she finds out a out his Italian prostitute makes a lot more sense when you compare it with other fiction based in that time period. A lot of melancholy and longing based on what we would now consider to be pretty marginal relationships.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've been going back and listening to Three Moves Ahead from the very first episode (well, #2). It's really interesting listen to a podcast develop over that length of time, but also to listen to a pretty focused topic of discussion evolve over that length of time. Are there any other podcasts that delve into a particular genre or type of gaming to that level of depth?

I can think of Roguelike Radio but not much else along those lines, but I'm sure there is more like this out there.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TotalBiscuit posted:

You lying rear end in a top hat. Not only did we meet the kid in question and give him the VIP treatment at Coxcon (after I was cleared to fly, since flying international while your white blood-cell count is so low from chemo and radiation is dangerous), I dedicated my entire award speech at the 2014 Game Awards to him. What do you want me to say, sorry for not dropping everything immediately during intensive chemotherapy to fly halfway across the world, putting myself at serious risk of deadly infection? Sorry for waiting until I was cleared to fly safely? Ok, sorry that I can't live up your standards of sainthood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6h9k7DZZ68
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cynicalbrit/comments/3fkn2v/remember_the_young_kid_who_tb_mentioned_in_his/
https://twitter.com/totalbiscuit/status/627926149595799552

He is 17. And oh yeah, I'm HUUGGEE with kids

There's nothing kids love more than 45 minute long videos about the state of games media. They really dig that with their Cheerios.

Sorry, but I'm not gonna let this lying son of a bitch just sit here and get away with it. You wonder why Austin decided to do my show? Maybe because he's not a delusional liar like you are. Whatever crazed mental image of me you've conjured up in your head, it's bullshit. Shove it up your rear end.

Gold. For so many reasons.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I know this is a controversial position to take but I think the rational atheist podcast guy is justified in challenging accusations that he snubbed make a wish kids or whatever.

Plus invictus is an insufferable idiot.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

al-azad posted:

I don't know anything about Tom Chick except that he frequents Three Moves Ahead but reading his tweets really crashes with the laid back vibe I'm getting burning through their backlog.

I started at 2 (they deleted 1) and am up to about 200. Only 150 more to go!

I don't like Tom Chick very much. The episode about women in strategy games really soured me on him. He also seems incredibly smug all the time. That said I still enjoy when he's on the podcast. Plus Bruce Geryk is a national treasure and Tom works well with him.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Does he still say y'know three times a sentence? I like Zacny but holy gently caress that is hard to listen to (he didn't do this early on in 3MA, maybe he's moved on from it by now).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If I hear the name of the game that ruins the experience for me. I only play games truly blind; someone else chooses and launches them for me.

I listen to gaming podcasts for the clever and stimulating interplay between the hosts not the games themselves.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

I mean, sure, but IMO Spelunky and Binding of Isaac are sort of exceptions. "Roguelike" to me means that the procedural generation is supposed to be a core feature of a game, like Rogue Legacy is "platformer with procedural generation" and that FPS roguelike whose creator sent death threats to Gabe was "FPS with procedural generation". You could describe BoI or Spelunky without using the phrase roguelike at all and be perfectly accurate, you really can't do the same with Rogue Legacy

You can't describe Spelunky or BoI without talking about how they're procedurally generated. That is the entire reason they are so replayable, and pretty much their entire attraction. The procedural generation creates interesting intersections of gameplay that are unique to a given playthrough. Both games also just have really solid mechanics outside of the RL stuff.

There are also lots of bad games that use procedural generation. They usually have really lovely mechanics, or just don't use procedural generation in an interesting way (Rogue Legacy for example has a really limited set of content so you end up just replaying stuff you've already seen, while Paranautical Activity is just a piece of poo poo in general).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It really hits all the same notes as Minecraft and Terraria. I speak as the parent of a 7 year old who loves the hell out of this game. The one thing holding it back is the lack of multiplayer. When that's added I'm not sure I'll be able to convince the kid to step away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

For about five seconds I thought this said "R. Kelly discography" and it was the most magical five seconds I've had in quite some time.

Also I don't know if this is the new norm because I don't listen to every WOFF, but the intro music used for the Portal episode was great and should be the mainstay going forward, also re-make the outro in that same style

I will pay someone to do a serious analysis of trapped in the closet.

• Locked thread