Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
One of my favorite little things about Abject Suffering and Watch Out For Fireballs is that the two people on earth who hate Rare found each other and do multiple podcasts together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Speaking of opening sketches, this week's Abject Suffering's opening was pretty great.

Also I really need to know if Gary and/or Kole know about The You Testament.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Looks like another way to pad out Bonfireside Chat is happening http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bloodborne-dev-s-ps1-game-shadow-tower-headed-to-p/1100-6426216/

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Song For The Deaf posted:

I just posted the Bloodborne First Impressions episode of Bonfireside Chat. This is a good one to listen to if you're curious about Bloodborne, but don't want any spoilers.

http://duckfeed.tv/bonfiresidechat/61

I'm rather surprised you didn't consider those dudes in wheelchairs with gatling guns steampunk.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Hakkesshu posted:

It's crank-operated, though? Like I don't think there's anything using steam power in Bloodborne.

Well the steampunk aesthetic generally includes most complex unwieldy technologies Victorian people generally wouldn't have.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

icantfindaname posted:

The problem with steampunk is that it's impossible to be punk by adopting the aesthetics and cultural background of a classist, sexist, colonial and white supremacist society. The aesthetic can work on its own by its own merits, but trying to be subversive with it is absolutely incoherent. You can either go "the victorians were so cooooooollll" or "the victorians were genocidal monsters", but doing both at the same time just completely fails tonally. Nerds don't understand history, politics, or culture, go figure

Well you can just do the latter and have Victorians using steam technology to oppress the poor and the various colonized nations. I mean it might still look cool to people, but that doesn't mean much. The Nazis had sharp outfits but they're not the good guys in any story worth telling.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Bug Squash posted:

Episode 100 can only go two ways. Either Gary and Kole:
a) Finally play Banjo-Kazooie, love it, and realise that the item collecting works really well and encourage exploration of fantastically designed levels
b) Finally gently caress, on a bed scattered with copies of House of Leaves

It's not gay if you've done a hundred episodes of a retro video games podcast with the guy.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

pseudorandom name posted:

Dear Zack: nobody uses GameFAQs anymore because wikis are immeasurably superior to a flat text file.

Sadly, not everything has a wiki attached to it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The first episode of the Bloodborne season of Bonfireside Chat just dropped. We cover the Intro and the Hunter's Dream, along with a long list of the things that make Bloodborne different than its predecessors.

http://duckfeed.tv/bonfiresidechat/63

When you talked about how the Saw Cleaver's description talks about how it only grows in effectiveness the more monstrous the beast, I was wondering if it was just an in-game explanation for why your relatively puny weapon can take down a big nasty monster so well.

It might be a gameplay thing, though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Well I guess that's an excuse to finally play Super Metroid and find out what the fuss is all about.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I played the living poo poo out of Metroid Fusion and know every nook and cranny of that game. I have never played another Metroid game to any great degree.

Ask me my life story.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Akuma posted:

I always try to get into VaatiVidya's vidyas because they're relevant to my interests but way too much of it seems to be untagged supposition, which is always really frustrating. And this extends to going against what the games explicitly say because the original text in glorious Nippon says something slightly different so the baka gaijin who did the localisation must be wrong.

So now you have things like people going around the internets saying the Cleric Beast was Ludwig with Vaati as the source :mad: I hope you called him on that poo poo goddamnit.

Furthermore

I am very mad about lore in videogames.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So what should the Bad Rats-centric podcast Gary and Kole are surely going to start now be called?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Amnesia episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! just went live. This one was really fun to record, and I hope our enthusiasm comes through.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/99

Up next is Super Metroid (episode 100!) followed by Katamari Damacy, and then a split episode about Harvest Moon and Sim City (both for SNES).

I always feel like I missed something with Amnesia: The Dark Descent, because while the first hour or two was really scary, around the time I had to stealth my way through a dungeon, I sort of realized dying was not that big of a deal, that I hadn't seen any other monsters than the ones that were all over the place, and I wasn't very interested in where the story was going, so I stopped.

And then I played Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs and liked it much better all the way through. The way the rest of the internet reacted just seems weird to me.

Hopefully once I listen the whole way through this episode, I'll fully understand what's in play here.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woffle posted:

Don't expect me to say a lot of kind things about Hamnesia: The Pork Descent. I was not very into that game.

Haha, I could tell. It's cool!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Funkmaster General posted:

Listened to the latest Check It Out, Comrade, and tou guys were talking about wanting a first-person BoI and being disappointed with Tower of Guns and Paranautical. Check out Ziggurat. Aside from obviously having entirely different themeing, it feels a lot like first-person BoI to me and really nails all the things you guys were looking for, including unlocking new stuff almost every run.

Seriously do that. I got sidetracked by Bloodborne, but this game is tons of fun.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Bug Squash posted:

Finished the Casper Abject Suffering. Great work as always guys.

Also, Kole. Can you do me a favour? Drive to Gary's house and give him a hug for me. I love his just funnin' tangents but I am starting to worry :ohdear:

Also, my Metroid submission comes from a place of love. I don't want to be responsible for any tears.

I'm surprised Kole didn't remember the weirdly heartbreaking scene were Casper tells a story about his own death. I guess the Bill Paxton think affected him more.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Rynyin posted:

Re: The latest Abject Suffering

Going from Cumchat to Gary reflecting on his parent's neglectful behavior was some pretty massive tonal whiplash. That said, Cumchat was probably the hardest i've laughed during a podcast and ripping into Jason Pitt was absolutely delightful.

And then it went back to hilarious with King Douchebag.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
How many Abject Sufferings eventually devolve into a discussion of what it's like to gently caress mascot characters?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I'm a week and a day late on this, but girl you need Puggsy Control

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I just started listening to Thumbs, and I just kind of think they're all funny and interesting people, so I don't mind that they don't all go that deep into games. If they used to, and they stopped, I could see that being a cause for concern though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I will not allow myself to die until I somehow make Gary and Kole do a WOFF on Illbleed.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Akuma posted:

Surely that would be the topic of an Abject Suffering.
No, I want in-depth discussions of that part where you have to feed giant bugs random amounts of meat to proceed, or the sexual politics of having a doll with a giant rear end named Sexydoll

Akuma posted:

The only Illbleed content anybody could ever need is the GameInformer Super Replay anyway.

I'm partisan to SGF here.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh they had fun with it, no doubt. But I suppose the magic's worn off after quite a few emails about it.

Kole, I've started in on Abject Suffering, and glancing down the list of games you've done, I don't think you've yet done an episode for The Adventures of Rad Gravity. Is there a place to suggest this to you, or would this post do? Because I think it would be a good one discussion-wise, as it's really drat ambitious but ultimately infuriating and kinda garbage. I even BEAT the loving thing somehow, and I don't know anyone else who got past the stupid loving lava planet section. It does a lot of things I don't think any other NES game really did, but boy howdy was it a struggle the entire way through.

They have a bit on their site for suggesting games. The backlog is big, but the games are randomly chosen.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I'd rather keep it private for a couple of reasons:

1. It stops being useful if people see it as a way of publicly trolling or communicating.

2. I don't want someone to see that a game they want to suggest is already on the list, and then not suggest it. If they have some good comments to add, those will come along with multiple suggestions.

The Suggest a Game stuff is weird. The Abject Suffering form is pretty legit and chill. People don't gently caress around. But the WOFF! form occasionally gets people suggesting we play "my dick". And right now, someone is filling it with titles of the grossest erotic visual novels that Japan has to offer (like "Ultimate Boob Wars" and "Harem Party"). It's funny, but annoying because I have to spend real time administering that list.
It's quite possibly a dude angry about you acknowledging sexism exists in God Hand

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey Gary, what's that H.P. Lovecraft podcast you mentioned in the Appendix for Old Yharnam? It's not in the notes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woffle posted:

Sorry I didn't include it. I've mentioned it a bunch so I put it on the permanent show note ban list with The Simpsons and House of Leaves.

It's the HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast. Honestly, when it was still covering primary works, it was my favorite and I still think it's really hard to top. I love those dudes.

http://hppodcraft.com/

Thanks!

Also when you do that podcast covering Lovecraft influences in Bloodborne, I'd bring up The Colour Out Of Space, which has a theme of lurking corruption messing things up. Also it's my favorite Lovecraft story.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Spider-Man 2 (the PS2/GameCube/Xbox one).

Yaaaaaaay!

You guys better be prepared for the ridiculously epic final fight against Mysterio .

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Holy poo poo thank you for letting me know this exists. It might be the high point of human existence.

http://shakefire.com/video/spider-man-turn-off-the-dark-a-freak-like-me-needs-company-late-show-performance

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woffle posted:

Isn't it miraculous? I get inspired thinking of this song the same way other people do when they hear Empire State of Mind. THIS is my New York.

You wouldn't have to change the lyrics much to make this be about a gay pride parade, honestly.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I played the PS2 version, which worked fine.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The new WOFF! is out, and it's about Demon's Crest.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/103

Up next is L.A. Noire, Spider-man 2, and our contest winner Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors.

All right! I've played most of this game then stopped at That loving Boss

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's an interesting game as a whole, but I really just wanted being buddy cops with Rusty to last for as long as possible.

Loved that part of the game.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What's the first Abject Suffering where Crick appears?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Buffo is a god amongst men

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

fruitpunch posted:

I love the micro episodes, myself.

On the subject of Retronauts, can Jeremy start his own Prog-rock podcast, I would listen to that.

Yes

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wooooo, one of the games I suggested for Abject Suffering got picked this week! I was one of four people, but it got picked dammit!

Also next week: :unsmigghh:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Captain Invictus posted:

So are there any podcasts that will be talking about EVO outside of Super Best FriendCast? Because this was, if not the BEST EVO, the MOST EVO.

Here's a guy losing the Winner's Semifinals in Guilty Gear XRD because HE THOUGHT IT WAS OVER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLeE5qPuXgM

And the Street Fighter 4 Ultra Grand Finals, after being some of the most brilliant, tactical, intense play by two top-shelf players, gets cockblocked in literally the second-to-last-round because one of the player's Razer gamepad malfunctioned and wouldn't stay connected. Razer deleted the tweets they had posted linking to the EVO stream saying "GET IN HERE TO WATCH THE SF4 GRAND FINALS!" which resulted in serious Streisand Effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ__PbvsI4g&hd=1

And Marvel had by far the most diverse team layouts it's ever had aside from most teams having Doctor Doom. Some of the plays, the drops, everything were some of the best they've ever had.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PQp5AUVKUw&hd=1

Such a good EVO. And apparently the Catherine side tournament(who knew Competitive Catherine was even a thing?!) is the most hype thing at this year's EVO according to folks who actually watched it. I need to see it but it's crazy to think that could beat out the SF4 top 8 for hype levels.

The boys down at Duckfeed had a good discussion of EVO

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Oh god the latest Abject Suffering. I did not expect Gamefaqs gold on this, of all games.

Also this Let's play is really good. It's informative and lets the game speak for itself, so watch it if you want to learn more about this game after seeing this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL760CE265680650B5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
A big main difference is that the party members in Paper Mario are members of recognizable enemy types from the games, instead of new stuff that got made up for the game.

• Locked thread