Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel what's more annoying about the "What have you been playing" segments is how most of the well known podcasts that do those are super strict about avoiding spoilers.

So you get stuff like "Oh man that thing....that thing when you use that other thing is so cool!"

It was v silly on the most recent Bombcast when they talked around literally the first two minutes of Firewatch because they didn't want to spoil those first two minutes.

That stuff is irritating for the people who know the spoiler (If they can even figure out what the hell they're talking about), and useless for those who don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

Which is why Giantbomb should do more of their spoilercasts and just cut that kind of conversation out of the Bombcast completely.

Or if they just want to say something about the first few minutes of a game they're still playing they should talk openly about it and preface it by saying "We'll be talking about _______ so if you don't want to be spoiled skip ahead a few minutes" so that anyone who would be upset about hearing the first few minutes of a video game would know to panic and hit the fast forward button.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

uugengiven posted:

Anyway, what I'm saying is that if you can't have a useful conversation about a game without spoilers, either just talk about it freely or don't talk about it at all.

Yeah this is my stance in a nutshell

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fawf posted:

It won't do any good if Brad's always doing his best to get his fingers in there too

They say the name of the game they're gonna talk about so if you want zero info whatsoever you can just shut it off when they say something like "So I played Dark Souls 3 today"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If hearing the name of a location in the beginning of a game counts as a spoiler, then it's impossible to have a meaningful spoiler-free conversation

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

lol the spoiler is literally "I got to play a demo and it loaded me in (location)"

That might as well be comparable to getting mad about spoilers in trailers

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

There was a custom map called Warlock that was really fun. It was kind of like WC3 smash bros, you'd walk a little dude around and shoot spells at your opponents and in addition to doing damage they'd apply acceleration to them. The arena was surrounded by lava and got smaller over time, so the second most fun way to kill people tended to be hitting them point blank with some ridiculous spell and launching them clear across the map.

The most fun way, of course, was to have the swap positions spell and hit your opponent with it as soon as they launch you into the lava.

I think there's a standalone clone of it in early access on Steam right now, but I can't find it for the life of me.

The people who made it actually made a version for Dota as well, using its custom game maker

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296662770

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

Also the origin of the tower defence genre. Bizarrely influential for a game that's ok, but not amazing.

Starcraft had custom maps like those, but WC3's map editor was just so much more robust that it allowed for more specialized towers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

Another thing that made customs so great were the huge amounts of bespoke models for different unit types and factions. Game was loving huge.

And you could modify some stuff about the units too so if you wanted to make a gigantic orc for a boss unit or something then you could do it easily.

• Locked thread