Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Song For The Deaf posted:

It was one of the more intense edits I've done recently, but it was really fun/rewarding to stitch together. Writing credit goes to Gary.

Fuel Howser. Christ. Also I've been to Red White and Brew and they have pretty good food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

The point I was trying to make is that it is getting harder in recent years to find information about video games in non-video form. GameFAQs was just my proxy for "text about video games."

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

I played Super Metroid for the first time like two years ago, and concluded that it's a really, really good game. I'm sure I'm tainted by original Metroid nostalgia, but still.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Zach Barth has been doing a podcast where he interviews other indie game devs. Kevin and I were on the first episode, and the second one (featuring Brendon Chung of Blendo Games) just came out. It's good if you're interested in the dev side of things. I hope he keeps doing them.

The Zachtronics Podcast feed is here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheZachtronicsPodcast

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

I've probably asked this before, but does anyone have any general boardgame 'cast recommendations? Shut Up and Sit down used to be my go to, but they tend to not post them regularly and also have shows devoted to those "game experience" room escape type things that I will never be able to play. I've got On Board Games and Board Games To Go in my feed, but both are kinda dry and too nerdy for me. Three Moves Ahead is rad, but they generally cover hardcore wargames if they are doing a tabletop episode, and I don't play those.

The opposite of you might enjoy the Ludology podcast, which is one of the Dice Tower shows. It is crazy nerdy.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

This is a good podcast if you want to hear Zack and Kevin talk about how they don't have version control because they don't need it, and then talk about a time where they had trouble because they made a change directly to their production server, and didn't have a way to quickly revert it.

Yep! It's such an informative podcast that it grants total Internet strangers 100% familiarity with our present and past workflow and absolute expertise about how we could have avoided every mistake we ever made!

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

That might have been the most positive review of Hunie Pop I've ever heard, Zack.

Haha. "Seems harmless I guess" is probably the best boxquote they're gonna get out of that discussion. I didn't know about the Gamergate angle.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

NickPancakes posted:

Added to our list. Thanks friend.

On another note, I played some Towerfall Ascension this weekend and really enjoyed it. Can anyone think of any other couch co-op indie stuff that's come out somewhat recently? I'm thinking of pairing Towerfall with something else and forcing Gary to come hang out and play them both for a day and then record an ep about them.

Samurai Gunn is the best of the recent crop, for my money.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Freaksaus posted:

Don't they regularly use Skype when one of the group is in a remote location? Although I'm not sure how often it's been the case lately.

Yeah, we almost always have at least one remote person.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Anybody who goes to see Kole and Gary at COSI should check this thing out:

http://cosi.org/exhibits/adventure

Outwardly it's targeted at kids, but there's a lot more to it. You'll see groups of adult nerds stomping around with flashlights and clipboards...

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Magic destroyed. :(

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Song For The Deaf posted:

Gary acted like I told him I've never sneezed before. I didn't play it when it was new, and I've been saving it for the show because I know he likes it. Simple story.

I think you're really gonna like it.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

Jeff (indirectly) hit on the contrast thing a bit in this week's Bombcast talking about Fallout 4 and the speech checks. Default text is light-ish green, and speech checks are indicated by words being yellow (easy), orange (medium), and red (hard). He mentioned having to change the text to blue because he played for a while and realized he was missing easy speech checks.
h checks, or have Excel use both shapes and colors. Maybe 98% of the population would be able to tell the difference between that dude's red and green buckets, but why not just make it black and white and avoid having to deal with the repercussions when one of the 2% has an issue?

Haha wow. I didn't realize there were three tiers of difficulty on those... I can definitely recognize the difference between the default green and the non-green ones, but apparently the yellow and the orange are too similar for me to distinguish.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

For what it's worth, the very worst game to play with dumb eyes is Puzzle Fighter. How I wish I could play Puzzle Fighter without sitting a foot away from the TV and squinting a lot.

Puzzle Quest on the DS was terrible for that, too. The PC version was okay, but man did green and yellow look exactly the same on the portable one.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Woffle posted:

We purposely didn't because it's been really covered in gameclubs previously. I bet we do it at some point, but we need to space it out away from other sacred cows because, shhhh, Doublefine doesn't make very good games.

That said, Doublefine would make wonderful comics. They just make games for some reason.

How can you be so right about some things but so wrong about Fallouts.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

If you folks can't get enough puzzles you should check out http://www.puzzledpint.com and see if it's available in your area. There's a vague podgames tie-in because I think Kevin from Video Games Hot Dog hosts the San Francisco one sometimes.

He always runs it. There was only a South Bay one before he started doing an instance in the city. And yes, come to it, it's fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Man, Idle Thumbs has been so, so good lately. I keep having that thing happen where I get weird looks in public because of the big dopey grin on my face while I'm listening.

• Locked thread