Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So what should the Bad Rats-centric podcast Gary and Kole are surely going to start now be called?

Rats Off To Ya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I've been enjoying Teenage Dirtbags a bunch and for some reason was expecting Gary to refer to himself as Gaz during the beginning of the newest WOFF.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Gary, Kole, I know you guys plan your stuff out way in advance and probably don't want to play a 30 hour game but you've done Fallout and Fallout 2 and what with Fallout 4 coming this year I'd love to hear your thoughts on Fallout 3.

FALLOUT.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
But where else can I get a sweet bacon patterned tie lollllllll???

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
To be fair, I don't care what other people wear and I have my own share of dorky poo poo but I also think most of the stuff that Thinkgeek sells is garbage. It's pop culture detritus.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The latest episode of Abject Suffering is amazing, Clit Clown had me dying.

Vote 4 Nite Mayor.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Ya'll should support the Laser Time paetron because they're funny and produce a bunch of content.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I bought 999 last year after listening to a bunch of older Tiny Cartridge episodes, I'm finally starting it up so I can fully appreciate the upcoming WOFF. I am also playing Paper Mario and it is charming as gently caress, you would be hard pressed to find another N64 games that still holds up from a visual perspective, and that's disregarding all of the other stuff that makes it so good.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Banjo Kazooie is still great, as is Tooie. And Yukka-Laylee will also be great. Ya'll haters can hate but that's ok, everyone is allowed to be wrong about something.

E: The XBLA versions are the best because they remove the slowdown from the N64 versions and have higher resolution text.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Kole, you should work some video content into Hex Crank. Some running commentary over you playing the more interesting games would be fun. Same for Gary and Infinity Engineers. Nothing comprehensive but a few recorded sessions to see your reactions and process for playing these types of games would be a nice companion to the written stuff.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
You guys need to add another paetron tier since you passed the last one yesterday. Congrats on that, by the way. And I can't wait for the return of Infinity Engineers, I've really enjoyed what you've covered so far.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Jippa posted:

I listened to idle thumbs. It just felt like jake was in another room with the door open, I could still hear him.

I imagined Jake as the show producer, sitting off mic with a headset and a clipboard.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Idle Thumbs is consistently funny and they approach games from a design and enthusiasts perspective, not a media one, which is a nice change from most of what I listen to. Mistakes and misconceptions happen when knowing every game inside and out isn't the job you're being paid to do. And they're one of the few discussion shows that will address mistakes and corrections that listeners bring up so if they did say something incorrect then send them an email and it will probably be mentioned in a future episode.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I agree but by that token, I wonder why they even bother to keep up the pretense of following the media at all, seeing as they spend way too much time complaining about things they barely read in relation to games they'll never play.

Old habits die hard?

I see most podcasts, especially ones that aren't a product of a site focusing on game coverage, as a group discussion that has therapeutic benefit for both the people having the discussion and the listeners. I guess I get news style coverage from so many other sources that less formal stuff has an important place in my rotation as well.

e: And I guess sense/style of humor plays a role in it as well? There have been a number of times when I am listening to Idle Thumbs and I will make a joke to myself and someone on the cast will say the same thing.

One podcasts that I still listen to but kind of wonder why is Rebel FM. I have gone back and forth in my like/dislike of Arthur Gies. They were discussing the Mad Max game and he actually stopped himself to say he needed to work on removing the term "nuts" from his vocabulary because he used the word to describe some aspect of the game and that term is derogatory towards people with mental issues. I don't even know at this point.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 17, 2015

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

thefncrow posted:

Why do you think that's weird? I'm doing the same thing right now, because I realized that I'm often referring to video games in terms of derogatory terms slung at people with mental health problems when there are plenty of terms like "chaotic" that can be used instead.

It's not that different from how "gay" and "retarded" are no longer used to stand in for "bad" (outside of edgelords who are using the phrases deliberately because they're not socially acceptable).

I've stopped using a bunch of words myself that I've realized are mean spirited and derogatory and being more inclusive is a good thing. We all reach (or at least I hope we do) a point where we actually start to think about the words we use and how others might interpret them. I still think it's a strange aside to have in the middle of an on-air conversation during a podcasts (I guess that's the downside of it being so casual) and personally I have never heard the term nuts pointed out in the same way like fag or gay or bitch. I struck me as being too cautious, but if that's how he wants to talk that's his right.

I still think his opinions about Nintendo stuff is dismissive to a fault and a number of times recently the podcast is so low energy that I wonder why they even bother to record if they aren't going to talk about anything but MOBAs for half the show. But it's a free podcasts that I still find enough worth listening to that I keep doing so but I do ask myself sometimes if I'm close to done or not.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The more I think on it, the more I realize that my inital reaction was probabaly due to my own use of the word and never thinking about the possible way others might react. I've never really associated the word nuts with mental illness, as strange as that sounds. But there was also a time when I would use derogatory words without the intent of hate but still see how that's immature and potentially harmful. And anything that forces me to be more mindful and think of better ways to use descriptive words is beneficial.

Sorry for the derail.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
All Mario platforming is good Mario.

And whoever said Paper Mario isn't awesome, gently caress you.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Counter point, gently caress you.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Ramagamma posted:

If you like Paper Mario, I'm not going to argue with you since thats dumb.

Instead I'm going to state that its one of the very few games that I have sold on due to how much of a distaste it caused me.

I'm pretty sure the only other games in that category are Saints Row 3 since I got it cheap on a PC sale after buying it on xbox and A-Train Simulator because it's inhospitably bad.

Ah so clearly the problem here is that you have no taste because Saints Row 3 is also excellent.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
More importantly, Fallout 3! I can't wait to listen to that episodes, I spent like 200 hours in that game across a few characters and I love it so much.

Liberty Prime is the best.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Go.

Away.

Smoothskin.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Mods change my name to Un-loving-subbed please .

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I am still very much interested in you and Gary doing some movie commentaries. I know your time is suuuuper limited but I would totally pay more to hear you two gab about good and bad movies.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Randallteal posted:

Big fan of Fallout 4, Batman: Arkham Knight and Metal Gear Solid V all appearing on the best game of the year and most disappointing game of the year lists. Oh, video games. :allears:

Give us hell, Quimby!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Steve is on this weeks episode of the IGN Xbox podcast and it was pretty good, aside from some strange sound issues.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The Idle Weekend music is so good, it makes me ready for the weekend.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I know Bob and Jeremy read this thread. The new Retronauts tshirt is awesome, I am wearing it right now. A+ would wear again.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I don't expect anyone to really agree with me, but I am kinda bummed out that so many podcasts I listen to talked about Churchill Solitaire. gently caress you Rumsfeld.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The correct answer is to flood the Abject Suffering request form with Banjo-Kazooie.

YA-HUCK!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The talk about the Wii Shop music remix on Idle Thumbs made me think of my favorite remix of a song with Nintendo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV5jJrv2kjY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

MinibarMatchman posted:

giant bombcast sometimes sounds so utterly lax in wanting to talk about anything that it gets difficult to parse through, especially when it's 2 and a half hours and it dives into a 30 minute segment about loving amiibos again

Amiibo is the plural of amiibo.

• Locked thread