Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chris/Jake: you should really check this out. It's wonderful. Especially the last image, which is wonderful in a different kind of way :unsmigghh:

(Cities Skylines related) http://imgur.com/gallery/9hxHg

Also, someone made a traffic guide for cities skylines recently, haven't really tried it out but it might help you with traffic issues

http://imgur.com/gallery/WdJim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bombcast talk about it ends at around 55 minutes in.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's incredible how you sold me by saying Jesse Cox was a host, and not even three words later, completely unsold me forever by saying Totalbiscuit was one too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Luna Was Here posted:

hey man, occasionally hes gone! usually whenever hes getting chemo though :v:
I will always find it darkly humorous that Totalbiscuit, who on multiple occasions openly said "gently caress you, get cancer and die" to people on Twitter and such then himself got butt cancer.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jippa posted:

For the record I don't like totalbiscuit but if you had ever known any one with cancer you wouldn't find what happened to him funny. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

I'm not wishing it on anyone either, just that the irony is positively palpable in this situation. also, he now uses it as a get-out-of-jail-free card when arguments don't go his way("well, enough bickering for me, time to head in for chemo" and such), which is straight up offensive

Basically he's despicable and it's a bummer he cohosts with Jesse on that podcast because I like Jesse

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Super Metroid has some of the most perfect platforming, music, atmosphere, story, and especially graphics of any 16-bit game ever made. It's irrelevant how long it is, some people hold that against it, and if you were buying it in cartridge form on release day maybe I could understand. But now it's what, 10 bucks on the virtual console? Easily one of the best purchases I made on my Wii.

I've still got it on a cartridge and still go back to it every couple years, it holds up. My friend bought it on the Wii and couldn't get into it, so handed me the controller and I just 100%'d it in like an hour and a half from memory, even just watching it he said it was worth the price of admission. :v:

Some folks might balk at my mention of "story" up above but I feel like Super Metroid carries its story far better than most games. Not a single word is spoken past the prologue, yet it still contains a narrative throughout; the hunt for the Baby Metroid. It's sparse, for sure, but sparseness doesn't make something bad.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 22, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phone posted:

I'm just gonna say AGDQ 2014 and write via contact for the rest of this dumb post.
What? Are you having a stroke?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The floaty thing I feel like is a recent complaint, I literally had never heard people refer to it that way before. It's part of the game, but once you understand the mechanics of it, it works perfectly. It's not clunky, it works the way it works inside the design of its own game.

Probably the only complaint I have about Super Metroid, which subsequent 2D metroids fixed, is not being able to begin spinning midair again to walljump and such before hitting the ground(worst case of this is in the walljump tutorial area with the three little aliens). But that's such a trivial thing and so situational that it's barely relevant.

Phone posted:

Ugh, the AGDQ 2014 Super Metroid 4-way race.
What about it

You're posting all weird man

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ramagamma posted:

'Metroid Prime', 'literally perfect'.

Nah sorry can't see the connection.
Opinions are subjective and you're being a pube about it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ramagamma posted:

Hey Captain Invictus, you should watch Guyver, it's pretty cool.
I actually had the entire boxed set but my lovely roommate stole it before I could watch it when I kicked them out!

Also this is not the Giant Bomb thread, and thus is not appropriate for discussing anime in!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think people speculate on the new GB hire because they keep bringing it up and have done so for what, almost a year now? And keep saying that it's for a position in GBeast, so any mention of a person moving to new york who is in games journalism, particularly a woman (due to the shitshow after dan got hired) makes folks suspect that they're the new hire.

Also, if folks follow her and she's announcing this sort of thing publicly on twitter, it's not really creepy to make a guess as to why. If Danielle is going too, I'd love to see her be a goofball with Vinny. Alex might go insane though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's been a thing for a long time with celebrities, but the internet lets people get way more personal information than you normally would with them. What a weird age we live in.

Also GB has been pretty great recently. The big live live show live was fantastic and had, among other things, dan playing real life punch out with buttons in his boxing gloves so whenever he punched John drake in the face, it'd register a button press. Drake was not happy with this situation

Vinny drew and Jeff resurrecting Flight Club, with mention that they're going to try doing cross country streaming of that sort of thing, which is GREAT

Also Dave lang, jeff, dan, and "the gooch" trying out various horrific mixtures of foods with nacho cheese mixed in.

Some agdq stuff too with goon Studio living the dream

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 1, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chris Remo should play ziggurat.

After that last episode of IT I feel like I should send one last hats email in but effort

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Do Chris/Jake still read this thread or have they moved on from forumposting

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ja2ke posted:

I read it daily but don't let that stop you from whatever you were considering posting!
Nah I wasn't gonna talk guff or anything, was wondering if you'd like a more recent in-depth rundown of tf2 economy stuff or if you've been overwhelmed by emails dealing with it as of late, seems like a lot of folks have been writing in recently about it and I don't want to oversaturate you guys with that stuff

(also go watch Mad Max holy loving poo poo like HOLY loving poo poo NO REALLY GO SEE IT)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It is a two-hour-long action scene only broken up by 2-3 minutes of semi-quiet at a time.

It has a dude on a truck covered in speakers(called THE DOOF WAGON) that plays a flaming guitar, and his name is THE DOOF WARRIOR. The truck is all legit, because that's how the director do:

quote:

The Doof Wagon is a big rig strapped with massive drums in the rear, endless speakers in front of it, and a stage where the blind and disfigured Coma the Doof Warrior rocks out on his flam-throwing guitar. Gibson said it was the most difficult vehicle to run as its six foot wheels (which they took from old mining tractors) would get buried in the sand. And then there was the noise. “George Miller has very expansive tastes so everything has to be real,” said Gibson. That means the speakers blared music all the time. “Some of the actors could barely hear themselves act,” he said. But Gibson made the error of when creating the flame-throwing guitar that it did not also play. “I foolishly built it as a prototype,” he said. “George was most emphatic that the guitarist had to be able to play, so we went back to the drawing board and made something that could play and shoot flames.”

It is the finest film of our time, or perhaps all time

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Song For The Deaf posted:

Hey everyone, we've done 100 episodes of Watch Out for Fireballs! This special episode is all about Super Metroid, and I hope you enjoy it.
Have you checked out Axiom Verge yet? It's a straight 10 out of 10 for me, I just beat it the other night, and it's one of the best Metroid games I've played(and Super is in my top five games ever). I wrote a review for it on Steam. That one man managed to make a game with top shelf gameplay, music, sound effects, and visuals, blows me away. It's also quite a bit longer than your average 2D Metroid, clocking in at about 8-12 hours for a typical first run. You should definitely check it out. I'm currently offering a full 15% discount on it on Steam just to get it into more people's hands, because it launched on the same day the Capcom sale started and combined with the ridiculous amount of Witcher 3 hype, it got totally eclipsed and bumped off the top seller list before its debut day was even half over. It deserves better!

The giant bomb quick look for it is probably one of the best and most informative quick looks they've done in years, with Jeff already having beaten it and being informative about the game while playing instead of their typical bumbling. The first 30 minutes are a normal beginning run, then he switches to his endgame save which shows off a ton of the late-game abilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA0nGgcwEJM

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ja2ke posted:

Yes please send more. I always love valve economy stuff. Always.
I'm seeing mad max tomorrow. Chris saw it today and liked it.
So what'd you think of Mad Max?

And I've been working on an email for you guys giving a lengthy rundown of my thoughts on WHY the TF2 economy collapsed/declined, hopefully that's cool. Not many more crazy stories that I can fully remember anymore, and I don't want to just make poo poo up if I can't fully remember a story. I've distanced myself from the more personal aspects of the TF2 trading community because it is a depressing and dark bunch of people for the most part, and the drama runs thick there. So there's not been many crazy happenings that I've been aware of as of late.

I think you guys record on tuesdays, right? So it missed this week, but ought to be there with time to spare for next week's show.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jesus, that email turned out way longer than I expected, it's practically an essay. Hopefully it's not too long to read on the air. It's sent though, hopefully you guys got it Jake. Not sure who has access to the questions@idlethumbs.net inbox.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The only stuff I've written was stuff I sent into idle thumbs, and they subsequently read on air.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mango sentinel posted:

I'd take Alex over Drew any day.

Alex makes a good straight man. Drew is boring in any role.
I was with you until this post

no, man, no

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Aren't they expanding into more podcasts, too? Like, there's the main one, this new one from old employees or whatever and then wrestling podcasts and other non-gamng bullshit? I'm completely disinclined to listen to any of it but there's clearly a large audience who doesn't give a poo poo and is happy for them to talk about anything they want for any length of time.

How loving DARE they talk about anything but video games ever

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bombcast isn't the same as ryan and Vinny being on it, but that's like saying Roger ebert wasn't the same without siskel. It's still good, just not AS good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Much like we shouldn't take criticisms from someone who doesn't follow them and bases his current info on secondhand data. But what do I know, I'm just shortsighted.

I've routinely said they're not as good as they once were, but they're far from bad. Dan can babble about wrestling too much, jeff can be a bummer sometimes, drew is too quiet, and Brad is Brad, but it's still fine listening. The issue is that ryan and vinny, the two people who have experience as podcast hosting, are gone. They were great at ending overextended topics and derails before they got too long in the tooth, while brad is terrible at this. The destiny chat recently perfectly exemplifies that issue.

It's still far better than most gaming podcasts and is great to pop on at work.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mango sentinel posted:

Woah woah woah woah.

I had some kind of aneurism while writing that post. I meant Brad, not Drew. I don't know what happened there.
Now that's more reasonable.

Grey Fox posted:

Because he knows enough about the gaming industry and the history of video games to provide interesting context around current-day issues and trends.

Yeah, he's clearly pretty jaded about the industry, but I can't really blame him sometimes.

Also he's been through some serious poo poo in the last two years that has probably affected him, I'm impressed he's able to joke around as much as he does still.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 31, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

That excuse has gotten pretty old. Maybe his friend dieing doesn't invalidate everyone's criticisms about anything he does forever.
Yeah, like Tae said, his dad passed away what, a few months ago? That poo poo affects you for a pretty decent while.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Wombcast, starring four fetuses who specialize in street fighter and dbz

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You shut your whore mouth, Illbleed is s work of art.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's more like it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah, sorry guys, it seems like I was a bit too technical and plodding with my hat chat email, I had a feeling I might've been a bit too sterile with my rundown of why the TF2 economy is declining. If I send one those to you and you don't feel it fits in the podcast or drones on too long, you don't have to read it. It sounded like Jake and Chris were hesitant to dive into it at all at the start there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh they had fun with it, no doubt. But I suppose the magic's worn off after quite a few emails about it.

Kole, I've started in on Abject Suffering, and glancing down the list of games you've done, I don't think you've yet done an episode for The Adventures of Rad Gravity. Is there a place to suggest this to you, or would this post do? Because I think it would be a good one discussion-wise, as it's really drat ambitious but ultimately infuriating and kinda garbage. I even BEAT the loving thing somehow, and I don't know anyone else who got past the stupid loving lava planet section. It does a lot of things I don't think any other NES game really did, but boy howdy was it a struggle the entire way through.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Vosgian Beast posted:

They have a bit on their site for suggesting games. The backlog is big, but the games are randomly chosen.

Cool, done. Is there a way to see the list of games other people have suggested, or are you just assuming(rightfully so) it's a huge backlog?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Are you able to post the list, or do you prefer to keep it secret?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ultimate Boob Wars is a work of art and I will FIGHT you if you besmirch its name any further, sir.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, in my case, I spent well over a thousand hours playing TF2 over the years, and just kinda burnt out on it eventually. The economic aspect on the other hand I've continued on with.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
SA still has the Awful Hentai Reviews, right? Remember Water Closet? Yeah.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Stan Taylor posted:

Also love when the thumbs read valve economy letters. I have been wondering what the deal is with the Dota trading scene lately. They recently made it so new items aren't able to be traded or sold until months after they are unlocked, I guess in an attempt to get people to buy chests/items directly? It's really confusing, and I don't think I remember a blog post about why they did that. Anyone know what's up with that, or how it's affected the trading scene? I don't know that Invictus ever posts his summaries here directly but it's something I've been confused by ever since they did it.
That would be the most logical reason to restrict them, yes. Also, it prevents people from taking advantage of clueless folks as easily, which is handy too.

Someone posted a screenshot in a thread I can't remember of one of those trade-restricted items on the marketplace. A few were somehow able to be marketed, and they were sold at sky-high prices. Then it's literally just a straight line down to 10-15 cents on the price history graph the moment they became marketable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thinkgeek sells tons of really stupid pointless garbage, but some of it's neat and makes for fun conversation pieces, so I'm glad they exist.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

To be fair, I don't care what other people wear and I have my own share of dorky poo poo but I also think most of the stuff that Thinkgeek sells is garbage. It's pop culture detritus.

Yeah, but for every Tauntaun Sleeping Bag, there's a Tetris Digital Alarm Clock, which I used for a good while. Every time the numbers change, they come down from the top of the screen in the form of multiple tetris blocks that form the number at the bottom. I don't think I'd pay more then ten dollars for it, but for free, I had to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can't remember which person is Gary here, but thanks for giving Axiom Verge a try, even if you didn't stick with it. I will agree that there are quite a few dead ends that have obtuse as hell hidden tricks, and the map could definitely use an indicator for what map spaces have items in them still, but even without a walkthrough I still got 81% of all the items on my own. There's a few incredibly weird ones that no rational person would find that involve various passwords and one even requires manually translating the alien text on an easily-missed unique texture, but for the most part the puzzles for items are pretty simple. It sounds like neither of you got far enough to get the teleport dash, which allows you to teleport through 2-tile-wide walls, which will allow access to the majority of secrets. And once you get the Red Labcoat, you'll have the ability to dash through destroyable blocks, which will open up every secret area possible, I believe.

The various movement-improving abilities you get as you progress are wide and varied, from the teleport dash to the drone swap. I assume the "trusted sources" include Giant Bomb, because the Quick Look switches to an endgame profile around 30 minutes in where he showcases a lot of the various weapons and abilities, and I would almost say you get more variety and quality of movement than in a Metroid game(space jump/screw attack notwithstanding).

I would say keep playing until you get to the hallucination sequence at least. That there is probably the most creative thing in the entire game, for sure. Also, creepiest and most H.R. Geiger-esque. Now that I've had some time to dwell on it, there are places that the game could be improved, most especially the map. I still think it's perfect for me, as my second favorite Metroid game is Metroid 2 and it evokes that game more than any of the others, most obviously with the glitch world(Metroid 2 has a memory manipulation trick where hammering select while falling opens up gaps in the world due to data interruption, demonstrated here) and the wide open world that is easy to get lost in. I will admit I had a few scenarios similar to yours, but kept at it and eventually figured it out. He definitely could have put more hints on where you should be headed in certain situations, for sure.

• Locked thread