Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

ja2ke posted:

Does anyone ever talk about or interview people responsible for the Interstate 76 soundtrack?

I bumped that poo poo in the car all day long. Fuuuck, that game. So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Awesome! News to me, too.

I loved the Interview Dump Truck; Patrick Klepek is good at gabbing with people.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Jonny Nox posted:

As a preview to the next Abject Suffering, I present the Good Bad Flicks take on "The Crow City of Angels"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24xE1TlpYe8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPzpRs3UqJo

Sweet, this looks a lot like the classic Highlander: The Last of the MacLeods for the Jaguar CD.

edit: or Perfect Weapon or Time Commando or any other game that tried to apply the Alone in the Dark/Resident Evil style to an action game. Such a bad idea!

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 8, 2015

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Pasco posted:

So this WOFF Soundtrack Showdown idea is pretty neat.

Though some of the 'seeding' is pretty questionable, JSR should totally have gotten a bye into the next round!

Speaking of JSR and WOFF, I recently listened to the JSR episode of WOFF.

I think Gary and Kole would like Jet Set Radio Future, and one of the reasons is the trick system. Not because the tricks are interesting or fun (they're neither), but if you do rail tricks, it magically builds and maintains speed, so you don't have that frustrating loss of momentum. Sure, that was part of the challenge, but I enjoy the feeling of keeping the flow going.

Also the GBA game is insane.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Hakkesshu posted:

So this might be jumping the gun a bit, but Patricia Hernandez is moving to NYC which presumably means Danielle is leaving Thumbs and either she or Patricia will probably be joining Giant Bomb.

Or none of the above. Well, Danielle is probably leaving Thumbs if she's moving.

Kotaku is in NYC; doesn't Patricia work for them already? Also, it feels weird to speculate about people's lives like this.

edit: While I'm here, I'd like to say that I love Abject Suffering. Based on the pitch, you might expect it to be all about making fun of bad stuff, but they really resist the urge to go all "Angry GameBoy Goblin." The end result is a show that sheds light on weird and interesting games that you'd never hear about otherwise, which is terrific.

I just listened to the episode on Bram Stoker's Dracula for the Sega CD. It's clearly not good, but I love the use of a dynamically scrubbed video stream to do a pre-rendered scrolling background with perspective. The effect works really well; who the hell needs parallax layers?

I'm sure there were other games that used the same technique, but I can't find an implementation that's exactly the same. I guess the arcade version of Killer Instinct did it, but layered with a few other elements.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 1, 2015

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I don't think anyone's being creepy, it just felt for me like a funny outgrowth of how I feel so familiar with people from listening to them on podcasts, while to them I'm a stranger or passing acquaintance at best.

If it's true, I'll start consuming Giant Bomb content again.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

bobservo posted:

Put up a Retronauts Micro about Interstate '76 yesterday:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/retronauts-micro-keeps-on-truckin-with-a-look-at-interstate-76

It's a shame you have to do so much work to get it to run properly on a modern PC. I tinkered for another hour yesterday and still can't get it working right.

Yeah, it's a huge pain in the rear end. I did so much screwing around, and never got it to a satisfactory state, either. I loving loved the poo poo out of that game back in the day; I'm excited to listen to the 'cast!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Captain Invictus posted:

Cool, done. Is there a way to see the list of games other people have suggested, or are you just assuming(rightfully so) it's a huge backlog?

They've said "on air" how big it is. I forget, but, like, they'll be dead before they get to everything at this rate.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Another great one is 0space.

http://teknopants.itch.io/0space

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

bobservo posted:

Isn't that the game where (end spoilers):

You meet the last boss, it gives a speech and flies away, then the credits roll?

KOJIMA!!! :argh:

I've always wanted to check those games out.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Last week, I hired handymen to deliver and assemble some ikea furniture. By far the best ikea experience I've had.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

bobservo posted:

Playing as a female character in Metal Gear actually goes back to Portable Ops, meaning it's been part of the series for close to a decade. I realize no one played the PSP games, but it's been funny to see so many people treat some of The Phantom Pain's reused systems/features as entirely new things.

I've noticed that, too. The Fulton Recovery System and base management in particular are often called out as innovations, but it's really an iteration on an existing (terrific) design.

Going further, I'd say that people who are really digging The Phantom Pain should go back and play Peace Walker if they finish the new one and are hankering for more missions. It's so good, and it's easy to play thanks to the HD Collection. I would not say the same thing about PoOPS; it was clunky at the time, and it really wouldn't make a good impression now.

Peace Walker is legit as hell.

Of course, Phantom Pain is still stunning in how it recontextualizes those elements into this crazy web of interlocking systems running in an enormous sandbox. It makes such effective and interesting choices in terms of what to abstract and what to simulate.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I liked Rocket Slime a lot. I don't think I ever finished it, but it's cool as heck.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Half of my Neo Geo MVS carts are probably bootlegs. I don't really care as long as they're cheap and functional, but it's a loving minefield out there if you want genuine stuff.

It's nice when you get the full kit with marquees and such.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Haha, that was in an abject suffering recently, wasn't it?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

al-azad posted:

I'll argue against Peace Walker being "worse" because the game really is bite sized MGS missions and your base is the source of your resources, not this living entity you have to invest hours of time to create. Peace Walker doesn't turn into bullshit until post-game where it unlocks all the hard missions...

With the full weight of everything I think Peace Walker is a better game although TPP is a better playing game. It just blows its load early.

You posted a bunch of what I was thinking.

Peace Walker is a great game, and I don't think having played MGSV will make it seem any worse. The really annoyingly hard stuff is optional, and the small levels are nice! I like a tightly designed gameplay area. Researching stuff in Peace Walker is satisfying; it just leads to fun new stuff every once in a while. Phantom Pain's management thing feels like an actual job and I hate it.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Listening to the Faceball 2000 (MIDI Maze!) episode of Abject Suffering, and it seems like a good excuse to post this wonderful video of an ancestral game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7chDIySXK2Q

A cool historical artifact, and electrifying video presentation.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

kirbysuperstar posted:

XI is still a post-EQ pre-WOW MMO, but they've tapered off a lot of the bullshit in the last couple years. You can almost immediately take four NPCs with you at all times and the Rhapsodies missions keep on giving you stacking +XP key items so you end up getting through things really fast. The days of crab farming in Valkurn are long gone.

It's still slow as gently caress and obtuse as all get out, but you can pretty much play it as a single player game now so hey.

That said, anyone wishing for it to come back and kill XIV is a grade-A idiot and should be wholly disregarded.

These are all true facts. There will be early hurdles for new players, like the non-traditional console-oriented UI and counterintuitive settings. Also, the PlayOnline Viewer and the whole patching process.

I hope the free downloadable version they put up for migrating console users has somewhat current data files.

Some of the stronger, more interesting aspects of the game still stand out, because graphical MMOs continued in such a different direction since then. Of course, you can never recapture the magic of the initial rush of western players blundering their way into a mysterious new world (with some pretty opaque systems) full of equally mysterious high level Japanese players who were at times helpful sages, and at others like aloof adults surrounded by children. Thanks to the keyword-based autotranslation system, international communication was always hilarious. It was some serious Darmok poo poo when you were out in the wilds trying to collaborate with someone on an already vaguely-defined quest using that system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Amiibo is the plural of amiibo.

Let me show you my amiibos

• Locked thread